Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:03 PM   #1
cumins01

Name: cumins01
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Pinion Depth

I have read and the more I read the more confused I get. I got a pinion depth setting tool and understand how to use it (for a dana 80). The problem I have is, it says if I have a + to remove shims or a - add shims to the pinion to get the correct depth. I do not see a number anywhere on the pinion other then 5.812 this is on a USA Standard gear set. It's going in a puller and I have been thru 4 sets in 10 passes. I feel the pinion is not setup correctly but backlash is 0-.002. So can anyone tell me how to read the 5.812 number since there is no +/- number on the pinion?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
I run ours deep and tight. May not be right but its always lived that way

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 08-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
Your backlash is too tight for the record.

On the head of the pinion should be hand engraved (usually) the (+/-) number. If it's not there buy from a gear manufacturer that doesn't suck.

Take a picture of your gear pattern and toss it up when you think you've got it dialed in. Also, take a picture of some of the failed gearsets. Those will tell you exactly what's failing.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #4
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneyj View Post

On the head of the pinion should be hand engraved (usually) the (+/-) number. If it's not there buy from a gear manufacturer that doesn't suck.

Take a picture of your gear pattern and toss it up when you think you've got it dialed in. Also, take a picture of some of the failed gearsets. Those will tell you exactly what's failing.
His backlash is to tight for a street truck not a pulling truck. I've always run 0 backlash and even to the point it's hard to turn.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #5
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the reply guys. I will get a pic of the old gear sets. Jermey, when you setup your pinion preload, how hard is it to turn? I set on up where it took both hands and bar and the other one to 40 in lbs. Did not seem to matter. When this set goes in it will have 0 backlash for sure to see if I can make it work.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:17 AM   #6
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Gear sets came from Randys R&P. One has a 19 on it and the other a 70 on it. No +/- next to them.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #7
SledPuller21

Name: SledPuller21
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
I don't believe in zero backlash. Pullers that guys have brought here that run 0 the gear sets are burnt/hot spots with terrible wear. We run .003 lash, pinion preload just over factory specs(too tight is robbing horsepower) set shims up behind the race not the pinion bearing, and change every 10-12 passes. I ran my current one for 16 passes before it broke.
2013 USA-East Open 2.6 points champion
Apex Diesel Performance & Machine

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledPuller21 View Post
I don't believe in zero backlash. Pullers that guys have brought here that run 0 the gear sets are burnt/hot spots with terrible wear. We run .003 lash, pinion preload just over factory specs(too tight is robbing horsepower) set shims up behind the race not the pinion bearing, and change every 10-12 passes. I ran my current one for 16 passes before it broke.
What's a good starting point for pinion shims? .060, .070 or what?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #9
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
I've never head of running zero backlash and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. You're essentially preloading the gears at that point ensuring deflection once they're warm removing the ability for any sort of oiling which ruins the hardened surface of the gears. I understand pullers replace their gears frequently, but it's hard to see how that wouldn't force the gears to fail prematurely.

cumins01: Google how to use a pinion depth finder. You don't need the markings on the head of the pinion with a depth finder.

Last edited by whitneyj; 08-06-2015 at 08:53 AM.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
SledPuller21

Name: SledPuller21
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
If there are no numbers on the pinion use the depth finder as stated, that should get you close on the first shot, then adjust accordingly.
2013 USA-East Open 2.6 points champion
Apex Diesel Performance & Machine

Old 08-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #11
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've never head of running zero backlash and I don't understand the reasoning behind it. You're essentially preloading the gears at that point ensuring deflection once they're warm removing the ability for any sort of oiling which ruins the hardened surface of the gears. I understand pullers replace their gears frequently, but it's hard to see how that wouldn't force the gears to fail prematurely.

cumins01: Google how to use a pinion depth finder. You don't need the markings on the head of the pinion with a depth finder.
I ordered a pinion depth setting tool just waiting for it to arrive.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #12
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumins01 View Post
I ordered a pinion depth setting tool just waiting for it to arrive.
Oooooh, I apologize then.

I don't use a pinion depth finder when I regear simply because tool budget money is always spent elsewhere since I only do a few axles a year now. When I start from scratch I either try to find the shims that were under the previous pinion and start there (always making bold adjustments to get into the ball park) or I start with 0.07" and make bold adjustments from there. If you don't have the pinion that came out of the axle, a pinion depth finder knocks off around a hour of constantly installing and removing everything.

I'm assuming you have a set of setup bearings?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #13
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
deep and tight here too. Never had a gear set look burnt or discolored from getting hot. Pinion is tough to turn with one hand once setup.

EATSOOT.com

Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #14
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
deep and tight here too. Never had a gear set look burnt or discolored from getting hot. Pinion is tough to turn with one hand once setup.
Thanks for the input Jesse. With R&P installed or just pinion?

Last edited by cumins01; 08-06-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #15
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Oooooh, I apologize then.

I don't use a pinion depth finder when I regear simply because tool budget money is always spent elsewhere since I only do a few axles a year now. When I start from scratch I either try to find the shims that were under the previous pinion and start there (always making bold adjustments to get into the ball park) or I start with 0.07" and make bold adjustments from there. If you don't have the pinion that came out of the axle, a pinion depth finder knocks off around a hour of constantly installing and removing everything.

I'm assuming you have a set of setup bearings?
Yes have a set of setup bearings thank god. The old pinion is long gone along with the shims that came out of it. I had a dana gear set last almost 3 years pulling but this year I can't keep one in. Have no idea what I am doing different. Hope the pinion tool gets me close then I can see how far off the one really was.

Old 08-06-2015, 10:50 AM   #16
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
I only run Dana Spicer or Nitro gears, but I'm not a puller.

There's a common belief among a lot of mechanical engineers in the rock crawling world that once a gear set has violently disassembled itself into modern art that the housing is then junk/questionable. I'm on the fence about that as cast iron has a lot of "movement" to it. Do you have a different housing to try?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 AM   #17
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
no I do not

Old 08-06-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
well scrap that idea then...

Have all the gear sets you've blown up been the same manufacturer?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
cumins01

Member`s Gallery
Yes all were USA standard except the first set which was a dana gear.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #20
whitneyj

Member`s Gallery
If your pattern looked good and it wasn't a pinion depth issue I'd go to a different gear manufacturer and/or find a donor housing.

Closed Thread