Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
cumminstroked

Name: cumminstroked
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Horrible sound!!!

In my 04 F250 I have a horrible sound in my driveline somewhere. I thought it was a hub assembly but I was wrong. I'll be driving down the road and it'll just start squealing really loud and then if i hit a bump in the road it'll stop, or sometimes if i hit a bump it'll squeal for a split second. I have no idea what it could be. It's coming from under the cab somewhere i believe. Sounds like a bearing spinning. I checked tcase fluid and it was decent, it didn't smell burnt, no metal shavings, wasn't really clean but not too dirty and no water in it. At first I thought it might be something in my front end but after thinking about it a little while if my hubs aren't locked and I don't have it in 4wd then I don't think anything is turning past the tcase. Any ideas on where to look would be great.
Thanks

F350 lariat 4x4 2008 6.4l

F250SD 4x4 5.9L 12V 6speed with a few aftermarket parts.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #2
Schrowang

Name: Schrowang
Title: Schroowwwaaaannnnnggggggg
Member`s Gallery
sure its not the motor? haha do you have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft thats going out? check rear end?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrowang View Post
sure its not the motor? haha do you have a carrier bearing on the driveshaft thats going out? check rear end?
lol if it was the motor it would give me a dang good excuse to do another cummins conversion No carrier bearing. I don't think its the rear end but I haven't checked it yet either. I would think I would feel it. When it starts squealing it doesn't change how it drives or runs. It just makes an awful noise.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
Schrowang

Member`s Gallery
well you might want to do a 6.0 delete anyway haha
im tryin to remember how everything mounts up the 6.0 weve got. it could be a bushing that has worn through and the stud inside is coming in contact with metal?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
well you might want to do a 6.0 delete anyway haha
im tryin to remember how everything mounts up the 6.0 weve got. it could be a bushing that has worn through and the stud inside is coming in contact with metal?
Actually the 6.0 delete is in the horizon lol. I just can't justify tearing it down since I haven't had any problems with it yet and it only has 80k miles on it.

It could be a bushing but i don't know why it would have a continuous squeal to it. Sometimes it'll squeal for 10 seconds or so than it'll just stop when i hit a bump in the road or sometimes just stop on its own. Unless you're talking a different type of bushing like the a bushing related to bearing...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Mo Smoke

Name: Mo Smoke
Title: It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere
Member`s Gallery
Inner needle bearings in hub or hub bearing itself.

PCS 4R100 Techie

Destroked Dealer

Old 02-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #7
Schrowang

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Smoke View Post
that was my original guess but in the original post he said he checked hub and it wasnt that.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #8
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
I wouldnt take for granted that you're front end isnt spinning, unless its lockouts/ manual tcase
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #9
Schrowang

Member`s Gallery
mine has manual/automatic lockouts.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Smoke View Post
I replaced the whole hub assembly and put a new lock in and still makes noise... When it does make noise the steering and power of the truck isn't effected at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoberman View Post
I wouldnt take for granted that you're front end isnt spinning, unless its lockouts/ manual tcase
The lock outs are in the auto/unlock position and I'm pretty sure the t case doesn't put any power through the front shaft in 2wd. The auto/unlock position on the hub is activated by vacuum. It is an electric tcase

Quote:
mine has manual/automatic lockouts.
If it is the front defferential or something inside the axle what could it be? The hub assemblies are crossed off the list being that they are new.
This truck is mostly parked this time of year so hopefully throughout this coming week now that my build is going back together and i have a little more room. I plan to open up th diff and check everything over and possibly swap tcase with the one I have laying around if I don't find anything in the diff.
Thanks guys for the input so far!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:25 PM   #11
Schrowang

Member`s Gallery
tell us what you find

Old 02-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
Supershafts

Name: Supershafts
Title: We race, so You win
Member`s Gallery
look at the center bearing on the shaft

Old 02-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #13
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supershafts View Post
look at the center bearing on the shaft
Would you please give me a little more info? which shaft are you referring to?

Old 02-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #14
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
He's talkin about the carrier bearing. Rear driveshaft. When your hubs lose vaccum they lock. Thats why I say they may not be unlocked. Move the truck while watching and verify nothings spinning
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
2000_fummins

Name: 2000_fummins
Title: jack of all master of few
Member`s Gallery
I would try a Cummins swap first! possible mud in hub assembly? Brakes? Joints?
2001 f350 crew cab platinum ed. 12v cummins he351 over s475 stage 3 colt cam 5x.014 injectors. P pump 700cc arp head studs airdog 150 water meth . Fully built 4r100 with stand alone computer. Some secret squirrel stuff.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
1pieceatatime.

Name: 1pieceatatime.
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Any luck with this? What cab configuration is the truck? Maybe a bum U-joint or Centering kit in the Double cardan end of the front driveshaft.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts
  • Dana & AAM Ball joint kits

Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoberman View Post
He's talkin about the carrier bearing. Rear driveshaft. When your hubs lose vaccum they lock. Thats why I say they may not be unlocked. Move the truck while watching and verify nothings spinning
No carrier bearing. I could have lost vacuum. I haven't gotten around to really checking things out on the truck. Its been parked for the past couple weeks now. Before I parked it I washed it really good. It appears to me like I may have a axle shaft seal that has took a crap on me. Once it was washed I went to move it off to the side and later that evening it looked like oil and dirt ran onto the wheel coming from right behind the center cap. Hoping to open it up this week but I hoped the same last week lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_fummins View Post
I would try a Cummins swap first! possible mud in hub assembly? Brakes? Joints?
Yeah I'd say another cummins swap will be sometime. I enjoyed the last one I did too much to not do another one lol. No mud or dirt anywhere, I keep the truck really clean, body, interior, under, everything. One hub assembly is brand new and the other is about 6 months old. Brakes were replaced about 3 months ago. I'll probably go ahead and put some new joints in it when I put the seals in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Any luck with this? What cab configuration is the truck? Maybe a bum U-joint or Centering kit in the Double cardan end of the front driveshaft.
Pretty sure I lost a seal and everything got a little dry. Its a Reg cab long bet.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been busy putting my other truck back together and just left this one parked since I have a car I drive daily anyways. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to get it taken care of. I figure while I'm working on the front end fixing my leak I'll probably go through a lot of the other stuff too like ball joints, u joints, both seals, and whatever else I come accross. Its just the joys of owning a vehicle lol.

Thanks,
James

Old 02-29-2012, 06:27 AM   #18
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminstroked View Post
No carrier bearing. I could have lost vacuum. I haven't gotten around to really checking things out on the truck. Its been parked for the past couple weeks now. Before I parked it I washed it really good. It appears to me like I may have a axle shaft seal that has took a crap on me. Once it was washed I went to move it off to the side and later that evening it looked like oil and dirt ran onto the wheel coming from right behind the center cap. Hoping to open it up this week but I hoped the same last week lol.

Yeah I'd say another cummins swap will be sometime. I enjoyed the last one I did too much to not do another one lol. No mud or dirt anywhere, I keep the truck really clean, body, interior, under, everything. One hub assembly is brand new and the other is about 6 months old. Brakes were replaced about 3 months ago. I'll probably go ahead and put some new joints in it when I put the seals in.

Pretty sure I lost a seal and everything got a little dry. Its a Reg cab long bet.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've been busy putting my other truck back together and just left this one parked since I have a car I drive daily anyways. Hopefully I will have some time in the near future to get it taken care of. I figure while I'm working on the front end fixing my leak I'll probably go through a lot of the other stuff too like ball joints, u joints, both seals, and whatever else I come accross. Its just the joys of owning a vehicle lol.

Thanks,
James
Do the front and rear shafts both have a Double cardan joint at the transfer case? If so either one might be squeaky. Its pretty common.

Stay on top of it though, ive seen two of them where guys like the front go so long the centering pin broke off, the cardan joint bound up and it busted the transfer case off.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
cumminstroked

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1pieceatatime. View Post
Do the front and rear shafts both have a Double cardan joint at the transfer case? If so either one might be squeaky. Its pretty common.

Stay on top of it though, ive seen two of them where guys like the front go so long the centering pin broke off, the cardan joint bound up and it busted the transfer case off.
I'm pretty sure that the front and rear both have double carden joints at the case. I figure if i pull my diff cover off and its full of fluid I'll just save the seals for a different time and the headache. Are the joints at the double carden a real pain? they seem like they would be

Old 02-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
1pieceatatime.

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminstroked View Post
I'm pretty sure that the front and rear both have double carden joints at the case. I figure if i pull my diff cover off and its full of fluid I'll just save the seals for a different time and the headache. Are the joints at the double carden a real pain? they seem like they would be
Yes, on average i rebuild one of those type of shafts a week, and i still think they suck. Most of the shops in a 50-60 mile radius send them to the shop i work at.
  • End Yokes
  • Axle Shafts
  • Axle and Diff Parts

Closed Thread