Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Chassis, Suspension and Driveline
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
What good is a Phat/omega input if you pop the intermediate?

Click the image to open in full size.

I had planned the next time I broke a input I'd go to one of the larger shafts.

After finding the intermediate was the shaft to take a dump I'm questioning what's the point....if then next weak link is just as weak....

The input does have a little twist to it,....(like they always do when I pull it)....

Got a lucky break anyways...broke inside the planetary's sun gear, totally contained.

Last edited by Joesixpack; 03-04-2012 at 10:55 PM.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
RJM06590

Name: RJM06590
Title: What to do
Member`s Gallery
How do the clutches look? I know in the other thread you said you put it through a good bit of high hp hell haha.

93 Ford F250 plow truck
Click the image to open in full size.<Theoretic Designs! Thank you!
http://robsdiesel.com/

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
Joesixpack

Member`s Gallery
For sure, not faulting the trans, poor bastard took it like a champ. Not into the clutches yet but I did burn a set a while back pretty good, in fact ATF couldn't hold it and changed it out to hydral/trans and they had lots of grip again.

Just looking at all options now. NAPC has a regular sized input that overpowered a billet intermediate, so with that it seems like a waste to throw $$ at a larger input only to end up with the same final torque the intermediate pukes.
GRANTED this is NICE gradual loading, so the input is not seeing any kind of shock load....where as full power locked shifts for example I suppose the input is the first to get the hammer and more likely to break I suppose.

With total control over the tune I can clip torque to what ever level I choose.....I guess I have my level with the current trans.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #4
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
For sure, not faulting the trans, poor bastard took it like a champ. Not into the clutches yet but I did burn a set a while back pretty good, in fact ATF couldn't hold it and changed it out to hydral/trans and they had lots of grip again.

Just looking at all options now. NAPC has a regular sized input that overpowered a billet intermediate, so with that it seems like a waste to throw $$ at a larger input only to end up with the same final torque the intermediate pukes.
GRANTED this is NICE gradual loading, so the input is not seeing any kind of shock load....where as full power locked shifts for example I suppose the input is the first to get the hammer and more likely to break I suppose.

With total control over the tune I can clip torque to what ever level I choose.....I guess I have my level with the current trans.

Wonder if the thicker fluid could perhaps give you a bind up issue on a 2-3 shift?
What gear were you in when it blew? Direct/OD?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Joesixpack

Member`s Gallery
OD. Actually the the shifting was the best it ever was with the thicker fluid. With the atf there was a little flare if anything.

The last time I put this much to it, it burned out the overdrive clutches, (on atf).....that would be the best engineered solution right....leave the clutches the weakest link.

With the hyd/trans the clutches would hold considerably more.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
RJM06590

Name: RJM06590
Title: What to do
Member`s Gallery
Are you using any special hyd fluid? I hadnt heard of that trick until recently.

93 Ford F250 plow truck
Click the image to open in full size.<Theoretic Designs! Thank you!
http://robsdiesel.com/

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
OD. Actually the the shifting was the best it ever was with the thicker fluid. With the atf there was a little flare if anything.

The last time I put this much to it, it burned out the overdrive clutches, (on atf).....that would be the best engineered solution right....leave the clutches the weakest link.

With the hyd/trans the clutches would hold considerably more.
Well the slight flare meant there wasn't a bindup before, and the elimination of the flare did show that the shift timing was change a little. Just thinking out loud.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
bdp

Name: bdp
Title: beans diesel performance
Member`s Gallery
Did you make a run with it already locked in OD or did it shift to OD during the run? If it was already in OD then that pretty much rules out clutch bind.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
Joesixpack

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
Well the slight flare meant there wasn't a bindup before, and the elimination of the flare did show that the shift timing was change a little. Just thinking out loud.
For sure, your right the viscosity difference did effect the shift, but IMO in a positive way, I'd call it a perfect shift. It did have a little bit of flare that I kind of always hated. With the thicker oil its much more seamless and no detectable laboring.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #10
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJM06590 View Post
Are you using any special hyd fluid? I hadnt heard of that trick until recently.
John Deere Hy-Gard, Case Hy-Trans, Cat ????, Oreilly's Universal Tractor Fluid, etc, etc.

Hydraulic fluid flat-out has more bite on the clutches.
OEM 12v Block

Old 03-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
Joesixpack

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp View Post
Did you make a run with it already locked in OD or did it shift to OD during the run? If it was already in OD then that pretty much rules out clutch bind.

Right.....the runs always begin in OD.....BUT there were a few times that it downshifted into direct when I gave it to much happy peddle at the start.......I wouldn't think a downshift would spike like an upshift though. Going from a high torque low speed to low torque high speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue24 View Post
John Deere Hy-Gard, Case Hy-Trans, Cat ????, Oreilly's Universal Tractor Fluid, etc, etc.

Hydraulic fluid flat-out has more bite on the clutches.
Winter weight was in the sump. More bite for sure.

Last edited by Joesixpack; 03-05-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdp View Post

Come on, how many times have we heard, "I was just driving down the road and pop there went the input shaft, I wasn't getting on it at all"
"What about the 25psi launch you did last week"
"Well it didn't break then"

Could have been binding a little, and weakened the shaft, then a nice solid dyno run, and POW!

Closed Thread