VW with freezing brakes

biggy238

My Jetta is holding the parking brake any time there is a sub freezing cold soak. It's particularly back after it rains and the tempd drop, so it's likely the cable freezing to the sleeve.
What's the best way to go about correcting this? I've gotten pto cables to free up in the past by hanging them up with a pool of penetrant oil around one end.
It may be easier to just replace it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I had the same issue with my 99.5. The only way i was able to resolve it was to replace the E-brake cables. They weren't that hard to replace and not too expensive as I recall. I never had the issue again.

i guess it is a known problem. It was talked about on some of the forums.

It may be water leaking into the booster from the windshield cowl drains... water pools in there and then freezes, a la frozen pedal. Its fairly common after searching interwebs. A co-workers passat did this. He never did get it fixed before he got rid of it.

Last edited:
My car had electronic parking brake, it did the same thing, believe it’s just moisture freezing pad to rotor.

I've had frozen pads before. Driving through them fixes that in a few hundred feet. This won't let go no matter how hot they get.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Ford has us injecting the latch cables with windshield washer fluid so they do not freeze, on the f150 latch recall.

My 03 jetta has given me grief with the parking brake since I bought it 5 years ago. I replaced the cables (the worst part is taking apart the interior for the lever) I also replaced the rear calipers because they were sticking. Aaaaaand it still hangs up! I just gave up on using completely! :doh:

Back