whats wrong with my set up? tuning, turbo or too big of injectors?

03f350stroker

always learning
Just got truck out of the shop. bought elites vgtssx 66mm. had to have the ats tq stall speed bumped up to 2200 rpms, otherwise egts where too mouch. it runs a lot better than before the tq stall was bumped up.

id tunes by eric

current problem egts are good until trany shifts into od at highway speeds, then the egts starts to climb even if you try to manage them while trying to increase your speed 1300 on up. have to let off of the fuel.

let me know what other info you need to help with the problem solving thanks for the info.

current set up see below.

03 F350
Elite ported polished heads
arp stud
185cc 100hp elite injectors
vgtssx turbo by elite
trusted performance oversize fuel lines with regulated return
areomotive a 1000 high press pump with 3/4 in pick straw in tank
fass 150/150 low press sys
ats stage 2 autop tranny with 5star tc & billit flex plate (stall speed set at 2100 rpms)
afe pro guard 7 with seal intake
dr. preformance air fury
sct x3 tuner with erics tunes idp
dakota digital gauges
4" mbrp with cat delete straight piped
37 mt toyos on kmc rs 20" rims with a 6" lift
pro comp traction bars

Last edited:
If you are running 37" tires on the stock 3:73 ratio diffs.......THATS the problem.

Put in a set of 4:56 gears, and everything will change.

If you want to test my theory, slap on a set of 32" or 33" tires, and see how much it changes things. (I'm assuming you don't want to change your lift and tire size.)

Not the first time I have heard this about that turbo....Lots of people running 190's so I would say it's def. not the injectors. A good friend of mine had this turbo and claims the truck ran hotter than with his stock VGT at any speed but wide open. He was running Elite 225's so it got real hot real quick, like pinning a 1600* gauge in 3-5 seconds.

I run the same set-up with 35" tires and 3.73's and it works way better than the stock vgt and a stage 2 vgt, so you might have something wrong. First look for drive and boost leaks - the angled boot off the turbo can look fine, but have someone boost it up while you watch to see if it blows up. Second, and I don't know why, but get a tune from Tadd - his tunes work better on the street for me. Cruise 70-75 mph at 850-900 deg. Third, get used to it being hot, it is a 6.0 pushing more than double the power it was designed for. Lastly, you need gears like stated above with the 37's.

yes, RPM = breathing... gives the turbo some lungs

Hence my opinion for a gear change.

It will bring the rpm's up at the same speed you are driving at...eg: driving along at 45 mph, truck revs at say 1300 rpm....with different gears, at 45 mph, you may be at 1600+ rpm....easier for the turbo to lite, instead of laaaaaaaaaaaaag.

Hence my opinion for a gear change.

It will bring the rpm's up at the same speed you are driving at...eg: driving along at 45 mph, truck revs at say 1300 rpm....with different gears, at 45 mph, you may be at 1600+ rpm....easier for the turbo to lite, instead of laaaaaaaaaaaaag.

x2, :clap:!!!

Thank For The Info. Put Original Tires On Runs Like Never Before. Goona Regear Soon. Is There A Chart For Rpms @ Mph I Can Look At To Decide Where I Want To Be At Cruising Speeds?

Thank For The Info. Put Original Tires On Runs Like Never Before. Goona Regear Soon. Is There A Chart For Rpms @ Mph I Can Look At To Decide Where I Want To Be At Cruising Speeds?
4.56 IS WHERE YOU WANT TO BE AT GEAR WISE. IF IT WAS A GASSER IT WOULD BE LIKE 5.13 GEARING

Back