Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Introductions.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Introductions. Take a moment to Introduce yourself here. Tell us about yourself and your rig!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #1
Cummins Bronco

Name: Cummins Bronco
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Hey, just joined

Hello,

Very cool forum, I have much to read on here. Very interesting stuff.

I built a lifted 1978 Bronco with an early non-ic 1991 Cummins, pump maxed out, 4000 rpm spring in it, currently have it apart, doing some repairs and upgrades. I am rebuilding my h1c and upgrading it with a 60mm wheel and housing. I was attempting to reseal my pump when I had an incident.. lol sooo I'm looking for a 12mm rotor and head assembly or an entire good core to pick parts from, if anyone has one laying around.
I have upgraded the lift pump to a piston style with low pressure/high volume, too, so the injector pump will not lack extra fuel to keep it cooled and lubed. Does anyone know of a bosch 13mm rotor and head that was offered on some VE pumps? I read that it was available at one point, but not sure what engine it came with. ( NR number would be 0-460-436-*** ) I also read that the 14mm aftermarket head is a bit much for a daily driven street truck, since it's hard on the pump, and I do need reliability, too.

Anyway, I will be on here poking around, I look forward to sharing ideas and learning stuff.

-Dan

Old 03-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Cummins Bronco

Member`s Gallery
Some pictures of the truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Bronco Dynamic C6 auto.jpg (98.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB780121.JPG (287.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Cummins head finished.jpg (133.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB780098.JPG (108.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg p_00382.jpg (598.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Welcome

Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Highwayman

Name: Highwayman
Title: bored.
Member`s Gallery
Nice, I like the dentside stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak24 View Post
Lolzzzzzz fakin haters

Old 03-27-2019, 11:52 PM   #5
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Looks like a sweet build. Post more pics when you can

Old 03-28-2019, 12:33 PM   #6
Cummins Bronco

Member`s Gallery
Thanks! It took me 10 months to design, fab, and save money for the project, back in 2009, and it's still ongoing.. lol The never-ending build.
6" skyjacker suspension, 3" body lift, entire driveline moved rearward 4" in the chassis(the weight bias is 56/44% now) I made new brackets for the T-case and dropped it almost 4", so the rear driveshaft, which is quite short, no longer requires a double cardan joint, and I can run standard 1350 joints. The 9" yoke is forged 1350 too. The C6 was built by Dynamic Racing with a converter matched up to the rpm of the Cummins, it makes very little heat and is efficient. I used a Vac. reg. valve from a 6.9 Ford with a custom bracket on the throttle in order to send regulated vacuum to the C6 modulator so it shifts right. The valve is adjustable for shift points.
I'm running 37x12.50R16.5 military tires on 16.5 5-lug steel wheels, the entire front end and axle are rebuilt, using premium parts, and I added a trac-loc unit in the front dana 44. This truck pulls very hard for a Bronco, and has gone through 4 foot snow banks without difficulty. lol
I used the stock 3" downpipe from the dodge and cut it into 3 pieces and created the custom downpipe for the Bronco, running the exhaust outside the frame rail, running into the 4" cherry bomb style through-muffler mounted under the passenger floor.
I upgraded the brakes, too. 1970s T-bird front calipers, have bigger pistons than stock bronco units, while retaining stock pads and rotors. Easy swap. To get more fluid to them, I upgraded to an F350 master cylinder and booster, as well as F350 rear wheel cylinders for the back drums. It will lock all 4 37" tires on dry pavement if I nail the pedal. The stock bronco brakes, in contract, kind of sucked... lol
It averages between 20 and 25 mpg daily, but smoked quite a bit, so I'm in the process of rebuilding and upgrading the turbo and adding a 1999 7.3 Ford intercooler, too. I'm hoping to push power and MPG a bit higher.

Last edited by Cummins Bronco; 03-28-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Cummins Bronco

Member`s Gallery
More pics.

The flexplate is from destroked, as well as the adapter plate. These pieces are pure works of art. The flexplate is about 3/8" thick and looks pretty invincible. The front hooks I mounted on the truck are from a parts F800 I had, and I made 1/2" steel backing plates for the other side of the frame where they bolt on. You could hang the truck from one of those hooks without hurting it. I am currently adjusting the camber on the dana 44 front axle by utilizing camber adjustment sleeves, .75 degree for the driver side, and 1.5 degree for the passenger side. My camber was positive before, and the tires were wearing on the outside edges pretty bad. I'm hoping it makes the truck steer even better at highway speeds, too. Positive camber sucks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Bronco VRV bracket installed.jpg (87.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB78 Cummins Bronco Collage.jpg (225.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2510.jpg (139.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg p_00203.jpg (690.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg p_00051.jpg (705.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 16.5 steel wheel.jpg (190.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 78 Bronco New Ball Joints.jpg (132.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 78 Bronco rear SS brake hose lower.jpg (59.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1978 Bronco new front hooks.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Cummins Bronco; 03-28-2019 at 12:51 PM.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #8
Cummins Bronco

Member`s Gallery
Some more pics and a video

1978 Bronco Cummins power acceleration - YouTube
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978 Bronco downpipe inner fender fit.jpg (67.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1978 Bronco shifter rear view.jpg (68.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BB78 Mud little hill.JPG (200.3 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
Keep the rubber side down on that beast!

Old 03-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #10
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
Did you have any trouble adjusting the cable for that shifter?

Old 03-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Cummins Bronco

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassisman View Post
Did you have any trouble adjusting the cable for that shifter?
It's funny you say that, because I was just thinking the other day, I should maybe shorten the leverage(drill a new hole in the arm) by about 1/16" of inch where it attaches to the Transmission. It kind of feels like the shifter doesn't quite move far enough when I put it into park, even though it does work ok. It's just been bugging me for years lol. Maybe I will finally take it apart and do something with it now that you mentioned it.

Closed Thread