Poor Caterpillar

Snedge

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I just felt bad for this forum cuz nobody ever posted in it. Plus it's nice to be the first at something. On a Caterpillar note. Ummm... They are yellow.

I actually want to replace the 366 gasser motor in my Chevy C70 truck with a cat or diesel of the like. Anyone know what cat model would be a drop in replacement? GCVW will be around 35K when loaded so I need some power!

I actually want to replace the 366 gasser motor in my Chevy C70 truck with a cat or diesel of the like. Anyone know what cat model would be a drop in replacement? GCVW will be around 35K when loaded so I need some power!

Well, Chevy put the 3126's in trucks that size...but forget those POS's. Freaking gutless wonders.

Go with a C Series Cummins, or a 466 IH...either one would put a hurting on this Kitty!

Chris

Does it require motor mount changes and a lot of fabrication or will they just drop in with a new set of mounts and what ever bell housing change needs to be made? I want bolt on parts. I don't want to weld the frame and crap.

Hey Jeff....HYJACK!!! You wanted to talk.... :hehe:

Med. Duty stuff will pretty much all interchange barring engine mounts. Of course, the Chevy gasser may not have an ASE bellhousing, so the tranny might need to be swapped.

Personally, I'd try and find an engine and tranny combo and throw the whole thing in it!
Chris

Does it require motor mount changes and a lot of fabrication or will they just drop in with a new set of mounts and what ever bell housing change needs to be made? I want bolt on parts. I don't want to weld the frame and crap.

Hey Jeff....HYJACK!!! You wanted to talk.... :hehe:

Yeah whatever. This thread needed some action, poor thing. And speakin of poor thing that duck.............. that dog............. Both have gotta be hurtin by now they've been at it pretty long.

Well, Chevy put the 3126's in trucks that size...but forget those POS's. Freaking gutless wonders.

Go with a C Series Cummins, or a 466 IH...either one would put a hurting on this Kitty!

Chris

Actually, it was the 3116 that Chevy was big on. The 3126 has plenty of power if you get the appropriate hp rating.

Well 210hp dang sure ain't it, and the 80hp box doesn't do it. I've driven another one with the 330hp rating, and it's not much better.

The 230hp Mercedes in out other Freightliner will eat either one;)

And Chevy had plenty of the 3126's and C7's in them along with the 3116!
Chris

We have 1 cat in our bus fleet. It's a old n/a 3208. I turned up the pump the best I could and wow the smoke. Test drove and it would roll coal like a 12v, it would make the cars disappear. Not sure what the big boss thought of it so I turned it down some. I tried to get a pic but its hard to do that and drive at the same time:hehe:

I've been looking online for a guide to understanding Cat's numbering system. Is there a trick to reading the numbers and knowing what it is? Like 3208 is a 320 hp with eight cyinders of something? I have no clue about yellow motors.

3208 is a 3200 series with 8 cylinders the 3204 is a 4 cyl. 3304 and 3306 is a 3300 series. Then you have the 3400 in 6, 8 and 12. 3500 with 8, 12, and 16 cylinders.

The new engines are all lables with displacement in liters ie: c6.6, c7, c9, c11, c13, c15, c16, c18, c27, c32. Above c32 they start labling them by bore size in mm. Like c175 with engine configurations in 12, 16, or 20 cylinders.
Then c280 with 6, 8, 12, and 16 cyl.

There are more, but that is the just of it.

Back