Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Pro Pulling League(PPL)
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
97crewcab

Name: 97crewcab
Title: Wrong.
Member`s Gallery
2013 rule changes

2013 rule changes from the PPL website HERE

2.6 Diesel Trucks -

Fuel Added - Hand throttles allowed.

Hitch Updated- Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of rear axle, hitch height maximum of 26”, with a minimum of a 3.75” X 3.0” opening. Hitch point must be easily accessed. No “trick” type hitches permitted. Hitch must be stationary in all directions. Hitch must be frame mounted. Hitch must be mounted centerline of rear axle or behind. Hitch must not exceed a maximum of 25 degree angle from pivot point to hook point.

Steering Changed- Hydraulic steering permitted.

Turbocharger Updated-
The vehicle is limited to a 2.6 inducer bore single turbocharger. The compressor wheel must protrude into a 2.6” bore for 1/8”. The inlet will be measured using a 2.605” inch plug; the plug must not be able to enter the inducer bore. A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove is allowed. No MWE groove will be allowed that has a width greater than .200”. All provisions allowing air into the wheel other than via bore and the MWE groove are prohibited. The vehicle driver will be responsible for making compressor wheel accessible for tech personnel to measure bore and able to inspect compressor wheel.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #2
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
So the wheelbase requirement stated in the rules of 158" which was apparently a misprint and not enforced in 2012 wasn't updated for 2013?

Why is it that that every other 4x4 class that PPL offers has a hitch requirement that promotes fair competition regardless of wheelbase except for the 2.6 class?

Super Stock 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 134"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 27% of truck wheelbase

Super Modified 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 133"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 36% of truck wheelbase

2.6" Diesel 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 158" (supposedly implied at 172")
hitch height maximum 26"
Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of rear axle (regardless of wheelbase) WTF?

EATSOOT.com

Old 12-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
Leadfoot

Name: Leadfoot
Title: Here to learn
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
So the wheelbase requirement stated in the rules of 158" which was apparently a misprint and not enforced in 2012 wasn't updated for 2013?

Why is it that that every other 4x4 class that PPL offers has a hitch requirement that promotes fair competition regardless of wheelbase except for the 2.6 class?

Super Stock 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 134"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 27% of truck wheelbase

Super Modified 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 133"
hitch height maximum 26"
point of hook to centerline of rear axle shall be no less than 36% of truck wheelbase

2.6" Diesel 4x4 lists:
wheelbase maximum 158" (supposedly implied at 172")
hitch height maximum 26"
Hook point must be no closer than 44” of centerline of rear axle (regardless of wheelbase) WTF?
I can't speak for PPL, but what I have seen over the years is:
Only some classes have an equalizing set of rules front and rear. While many have a percentage for hitch based on wheelbase, most are still 60" for weight from centerline of front axle (giving a longer wheelbase an advantage). Some orgs have tried to remedy this by using a distance from centerline of rear axle (some argue even this is not 100% a leveling measure as the front axle still plays a role, but I think it comes close).

Many orgs did not want guys cutting their beds to run a short (even if legal) hitch, so they came up with a distance rule that pretty much guaranteed a longish hitch irregardless of platform. 2.6 originally was a street/streetish/streetable class so I'm assuming that is why it was originally a distance vs percentage.

I agree with your WTF comment only because it is NOW a purpose built class and moreso with the addition of hand throttle and hydraulic steering, and any chance of a street truck being competitive (against those that know what they are doing) is highly unlikely, so a percentage rule would seem to make the most sense.

The only thing that may make sense is if that is what other neighboring clubs/orgs use and they are trying to keep that universal. I'm not sure if that is the case or not.

Or it could be a case (as has been the case with us), that rules end up being a compromise or made by people who don't fully understand the class.

"here in ohio you better play the lotto and win to get enough cash to be able to afford to build a dmax to be competitive in the 2.6 class with trucks from 1000 to 1200 hp!"

Old 12-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
nwpadmax

Name: nwpadmax
Title: Turbo Geek
Member`s Gallery
WTF is right.

Somebody somewhere must be making money from rule changes....because there couldn't possibly be another reason except pure stupidity why the biggest truck pulling class in the USA has to have 5 sets of rules depending on where you live and what big shop has the most weight.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Is there a PPL representative on this site or aware of this PPL forum? Just wondering...

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
97crewcab

Member`s Gallery
The email I just received from PPL states that it is in fact 44" minimum from the center line of the rear axle and the length of the truck has no bearing on the length of the hitch.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Timebomb

Name: Timebomb
Title: Bootney Lee Fonsworth
Member`s Gallery
here is the new hitch rule for Interstates 2.6... Hitch: The hitch must be a pulling hitch similar to the other Interstate truck hitches. Front connection must not extend forward of the centerline of the rear axle. Trick hitches are prohibited. Hitch hook point shall be at least 47 inches from the center of the rear axle. Bumpers may be notched or removed. The hitch’s height from the ground may not exceed 22 inches.

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
house

Name: house
Title: the Fat kid!
Member`s Gallery
SO I have a crew cab long bed chevy, 170 inch wb so according to 2.6 rules I am screwed and can not pull?
2013 VW Jetta TDI..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by house View Post
SO I have a crew cab long bed chevy, 170 inch wb so according to 2.6 rules I am screwed and can not pull?
what part of the rules doesn't allow you to pull?

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
outlaw99

Name: outlaw99
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
thats a misprint! wheelbase is oem... they screwed up... if that was the rule.. half the truck couldnt pull considering anything more then quad long config. is 160+inches

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING
EFI LIVE/UDC TUNING CUMMINS

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
PPL wheelbase and hitch rules are so f*cked up it's a joke. And they are supposedly who everyone is basing their rules on.

Take a look at every other 4x4 class in the nation for the proper way to handle it. You either fix the wheelbase and hitch distance for all trucks (make them all the same), or you run a percentage rule.

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
outlaw99

Name: outlaw99
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
its a missprint.. im not sure whats hard to understand about that? the % rule shouldnt imply.......whhy would it.. just do 44"

TOOPS PERFORMANCE
IN HOUSE DYNO TUNING
EFI LIVE/UDC TUNING CUMMINS

03-04.5 efi conversions

Old 01-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
97crewcab

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw99 View Post
its a missprint.. im not sure whats hard to understand about that? the % rule shouldnt imply.......whhy would it.. just do 44"
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say? Leaving the drivetrain length as stock, Why should a percentage rule not apply? You are saying just leave 44" minimum no matter the truck.

Would you say the same if you had a regular cab long box instead of the longest wheel based truck possible? These rules obviously directly affect the truck you are trying to pull/sell.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
nwpadmax

Member`s Gallery
Of course people with long trucks want a fixed hitch length!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97crewcab View Post
I am not sure exactly what you are trying to say? Leaving the drivetrain length as stock, Why should a percentage rule not apply? You are saying just leave 44" minimum no matter the truck.

Would you say the same if you had a regular cab long box instead of the longest wheel based truck possible? These rules obviously directly affect the truck you are trying to pull/sell.

So what happens is they say 153" wheel base is all that is allowed. It isn't like the 44" is a new rule, pretty much been that way for as long as I can remember in the diesel pulling.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #16
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
So what happens is they say 153" wheel base is all that is allowed. It isn't like the 44" is a new rule, pretty much been that way for as long as I can remember in the diesel pulling.
Not sure what you mean Dan, where did you get 153 from?

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #17
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOT-Torque View Post
Not sure what you mean Dan, where did you get 153 from?

Typo meant to say 155" Of course it doesn't matter we could pick a number, and assume that since it is a competitive class, folks would build the truck to the max of the rules, it is done with turbos, hitch height, weight etc.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #18
nwpadmax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You meant to say 158", and maybe in your world a 44" hitch length is common, not so much everywhere else....

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #19
GOT-Torque

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Typo meant to say 155" Of course it doesn't matter we could pick a number, and assume that since it is a competitive class, folks would build the truck to the max of the rules, it is done with turbos, hitch height, weight etc.
I agree, it is a purpose built competitive class. Pick a length and build them to it. (or run a % hitch rule) Either way is fine. But a fixed 44" hitch length regardless of wheelbase is retarded. I have yet to see a valid argument for why this rule exist in a purpose built class such as 2.6, including responses from PPL.

EATSOOT.com

Old 01-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #20
zstroken

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpadmax View Post
You meant to say 158", and maybe in your world a 44" hitch length is common, not so much everywhere else....

44" came from the dodge world.

Closed Thread