Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Custom Fabrication
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #41
Anklhs

Name: Anklhs
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
That is interesting about the sound of the Procharger super after the handoff to the turbos. On my setup, using a 3.3L Whipple on compounds you can still hear the super even after the bypass opens at 24lb boost. @idle it shows 3lbs with a 3.25 pulley.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-front 1.jpg (72.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1-Front 2.jpg (81.5 KB, 0 views)
2005 3500 DRW Crazy Carl kit Whipple 3.3L w/s300 over s400 compounds, Suncoast Competition, Kelderman Air, Anarchy Dual CP3, Exergy, 3 Piston SSBC w/BigBites, Hellmann goodies, DC Power 270 AMP Alt, .

Old 01-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #42
superpsd

Name: superpsd
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
I am not running a procharger I am running an Eaton TVS. I was going to go Whipple but after three months of hearing the M122 whine and knowing a whipple would be louder I opted for the TVS which is half the noise of the M122. In fact they have bolt on Whipples for my setup in 2.9, 3.3, 4.0 and larger displacements or even the Kenne Bell line, but I will keep with the TVS. In fact as far as effeciency the GT500s running the VMP 2.3 TVS and the 2.9 Whipples are showing the same hp numbers with the Eaton actually showing a little more torque down low. Whipple does take the cake when the boost pressure starts passing 15psi...

Nice whipple setup. I came across your truck when I was researching and engineering my setup.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 01-09-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #43
stock73

Name: stock73
Member`s Gallery
That is a killer set up, it's not something you see often but it looks clean and very functional. Nice work!

Keep calm and Stand on it !! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #44
Extended Power

Name: Extended Power
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anklhs View Post
That is interesting about the sound of the Procharger super after the handoff to the turbos. On my setup, using a 3.3L Whipple on compounds you can still hear the super even after the bypass opens at 24lb boost. @idle it shows 3lbs with a 3.25 pulley.
INSaNe!!!!!!

If It Ain't Broke...Fix It Until It Is!!!

Old 02-13-2015, 05:31 AM   #45
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by superpsd View Post
I am not running a procharger I am running an Eaton TVS. I was going to go Whipple but after three months of hearing the M122 whine and knowing a whipple would be louder I opted for the TVS which is half the noise of the M122.
The noise I hear in the super over turbo videos is most of whats keeping me from getting one of these setups. I like the diesel sound, but that power steering pump being choked to death sound just grates on me.
Is your noise reduction really due to the TVS versus the whipple blower, or due to the level of boost youre running?
I know in Carl's vids his truck is running a fair amount of boost right off idle. Not sure what it sounds like when the bypass opens. dont think he really recorded it doing that.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Old 02-13-2015, 05:17 PM   #46
TURBOLVR

Name: TURBOLVR
Title: Mr. Whipple
Member`s Gallery
IMO, You'll need a LOT bigger bypass when you start adding some fuel/boost. You may even be pulling vacuum already?
You could toss that whole 3" tube right through the bypass we use.
That's interesting about the noise. I've found mine to be much quieter with the butterflies functioning vs wide open all the time. But it ROARS when the bypass is open. I'm running a 3.3R, 2.75" pulley (most of the time) 2psi @ idle and 25psi @ 4k, Blower only. Total boost (with turbos) is tuned to 80psi currently with 64/80 compounds. MPG is about 16 mixed.

Great prices on what your Cummins needs:
WWW.CRAZYCARLSTURBOS.COM

Last edited by TURBOLVR; 02-13-2015 at 05:23 PM.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:44 PM   #47
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
The TVS is quiter but it is only spun to about half the speed. If I regear it latter for more blower rpm it will be louder and of course push more air. I am currently building larger injectors to go bigger. Plans for bigger snail, bigger hpop and fuel system. I don't have huge power goals just power for more fun. Techno makes this same one way check valve in a 4" version as well should I need to go bigger.

Currently it pulls no vaccum but I am only running stock injectors. Manifold peaks at about 25psi currently. Switched to a green belt and my idle increased to 2 psi. The gatorback belt was toast. I need to add an idler next to the blower pulley to help wrap the 2.4" pulley.

I am happy with the TVS but the downside is they only make a 2.3 tops. They were working on a 3.3 TVS but I've heard they haven't done much and shelved that project.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 02-27-2015 at 11:50 PM.

Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 AM   #48
TURBOLVR

Name: TURBOLVR
Title: Mr. Whipple
Member`s Gallery
Those elastomer valves are neat, but if ANY part of them fails, or if a screw falls out, they will be sucked into the turbo(s) = destruction.
I spent a bit of time to design a valve with nothing that can fall out or fail specifically to avoid that possibility.

Great prices on what your Cummins needs:
WWW.CRAZYCARLSTURBOS.COM

Old 03-03-2015, 07:08 PM   #49
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
I have thought about it but so far so good. I've also used different styles of techno valves for years in high pressure water/chemical applications. They held up well in those applications the most that would happen was the chemicals and water flow would slowly eat the buna or viton seals.
51 Mack A51T

Old 05-02-2015, 03:07 AM   #50
superpsd

Member`s Gallery
Well I have had the best luck with the gates HD belts. I have always had some belt chirp with the longer belt due to low tension. I went with a shorter belt and it worked perfectly except 2 alternators now with the ears connected by a thin casting has managed to crack. I added a beefed up mount that allowed zero movement and the stress crack happened again. So pulled the blower for now. I can make a small change to make it work but decided to redesign just a tiny bit and give the blower it's own dedicated belt. After all the current setup drives ; blower, AC, Alternator, Vaccum pump, PS, Water pump with heavy mechanical fan. I purchased a lingenfelter 9.55" 8 rib pulley as seen below is due here tomorrow. This will also drive the blower to for example 4000 rpm more at @ 3600 engine rpm. In fact I will still have to push the engine rpm to 4900rpm to hit the blowers red line @ 19,000 rpm. More blower rpm can be achived but it costs a little bit to install over driven gears inside the snout.

I have also built 5 injectors so far there going to be somewhere around 220-250 cc with 200% over nozzles (factory are 90cc). I also have twin electric pumps, cat filters and other parts for the fuel system.
Click the image to open in full size.
51 Mack A51T

Last edited by superpsd; 05-02-2015 at 03:10 AM.

Closed Thread