1000hp hard parts/bottom end

As far as the girdle goes, if it ain't this thick and it ain't set up this way it ain't worth the effort to bolt it on, let alone what it cost. I watched a video about someone's "girdle" and the "spacer washers" could be anywhere from .030 above the pan rail to .030 below. Mountain Dew came out my nose when I seen that. A oil pan with a solid rail to go with it is a good idea.
59Girdle-1.jpg

This one came from PDW, Kenny's looks the same. The spacers weren't thick enough, the main caps have a low spot between the bolts, and they wanted you to just set the spacer on top of the machined high spots. I made my own spacers and machined and surface ground the caps. I should have made the spacers as long as possible to help spread the load out. Extremely sufficient the way it is, but if I did it over that's what I would do. I'll measure the spacers, and you can ask suppliers about thickness. Apparently someone thinks that supporting the high spots is all that's necessary, but if going to the time and effort do it 110%. My studs came from someone else, Kenny's combo price is less than what I ended up paying. But then again my stud kit did come with nylock nuts.LOL

Princeton if you make a nice one we might be able to work some deals :D
I have a close cousin that runs a lazer at a big fab shop, he has made me alot of sweet stuff VERY cheap. He made me turbo flanges for my twin kit, and they match perfect, he also made a stuff for my mud truck including the wheel centers, and he builds stuff for his tractor he pulls. It will be a while before i get the block to him to copy off of.

I'll be glad to provide any dimensions and information off the one I have here, I might like to have a couple for future projects.

If you guys need someone to draw it in CAD, let me know. I've been entertaining doing the same thing.

I'll be glad to provide any dimensions and information off the one I have here, I might like to have a couple for future projects.

I should be good, im going to bring him the block and caps so he can measure/copy it to be EXACT. I need to buy the studs first, but i dont know which ones to get forsure.

If you guys need someone to draw it in CAD, let me know. I've been entertaining doing the same thing.

My cousin does all that himself. He does all the labor for free since i do stuff for him. All i pay for is steel and lazer time which isnt bad.

The one I have is a bit different. Thinner, but very strong material(not just mild steel plate), and sits under the pan. I'll take a picture when I machine the block to fit it. That and a good set of aftermarket rods ought to do the trick.

Last edited:
I should be good, im going to bring him the block and caps so he can measure/copy it to be EXACT. I need to buy the studs first, but i dont know which ones to get forsure.

My cousin does all that himself. He does all the labor for free since i do stuff for him. All i pay for is steel and lazer time which isnt bad.

You are going to need the long studs. 12 or 14 depends on the block.

Just for clarification, I am not looking to make any money on the CAD layout of the girdle.

I am however interested in how much laser time would cost to cut a 3/4" chunk of steel. The quotes I have received were as much or more than the large piece of plate the girdle was cut out of. (Granted, I don't have familial discounts.)

If you guys make a few of these I would take one as well.

It will be a while before i get around to this, but i will need to look into being a site sponsor to sell multiple items.

The one I have is a bit different. Thinner, but very strong material(not just mild steel plate), and sits under the pan. I'll take a picture when I machine the block to fit it. That and a good set of aftermarket rods ought to do the trick.

I dont know much about types of metals, so i will be talking to my cousin and some machinests on what they recomend for metal and thickness, but once the cad is desogned any metal can be cut to any thicknees up tp 3/4" LOL

You are going to need the long studs. 12 or 14 depends on the block.

Just for clarification, I am not looking to make any money on the CAD layout of the girdle.

I am however interested in how much laser time would cost to cut a 3/4" chunk of steel. The quotes I have received were as much or more than the large piece of plate the girdle was cut out of. (Granted, I don't have familial discounts.)

Yep, Thats why i said i want to get them before i give my cousin the block.

Your bock has 14mm mains IIRC.

Yep

What cquestad said
I've made several one off girdles for less common engines. Cutting out a 1" solid plate by hand on the mill. The first one I used pre heat treated 4140. Bad bad bad bad bad plan. every one since then has been A36.

Back