93 6.5 any way to make power here?

SuperiorRam

is there any thing a guy can do to get this truck off its but :shake:
it has a completely rebuilt 6.5 and 4l80e the turbo could use a rebuild but i would rather put a hx-35 on it but need fuel for that kinda thing HELP:cheer:

some of the things u can do r tie the waste gate shut put some pump timing in it and i cant remember if a 93 is a mech or elect injection pump but if its a mechanical like the 6.2 u can put a 1/4 turn in the fuel screw and go with a bigger set of injectors but make sure if u do all of this u get a boost and pyro so u can keep an eye on everything or ur rebuilt motor might have a melt down or need new head gaskets

if you take the top off your pump u will c in the back of the pump there is a shaft u have to take a ratchet or a braker bar and turn the crank till u c a hole come around in the shaft then take an allen wrench that fits and put a 1/4 turn or less in it u have to turn it clock wise u can put more or less in it depending on what all u do to the motor you can also take the plate of the buttom side of the pump on the driver side but thats a pain u have to use a mirror to c it. pump timing is ez take the 3 nuts loose that hold the pump on and clock it to the passingers side of the truck only do this in small shots at a time to c where it runs best go a 1/6 or 1/8 inch at a time make sure u mark where it was originaly so u cn c how far ur moving it and if u dont like it u can put it back and if u go to far it will be really hard to start.

pump timing

[/QUOTE]pump timing is ez take the 3 nuts loose that hold the pump on and clock it to the passingers side of the truck only do this in small shots at a time to c where it runs best go a 1/6 or 1/8 inch at a time make sure u mark where it was originaly so u cn c how far ur moving it and if u dont like it u can put it back and if u go to far it will be really hard to start.[/QUOTE]

So what is all involved in pump timing? How far do you have tear it down to time the pump?

You could do what I did to mine. I put a Cummins in our Suburban it works great.
Or if thats not an option try these folks http://heathdiesel.com/ I think I read somewhere that 12 lbs of boost is about it for these motors so be careful . Rich

Get the round style filter from a 97+ truck.
Install a 3" down pipe with 3" or 4" exhaust.
Install 2.25" or 2.5" crossover pipe.
Modify the waste gate to get 12psi of boost, or better yet, install an HX-35.
You can crank the fuel much farther than 1/4 turn, but you must have a EGT gauge first.

Don't ever tie the waste gate shut, and don't bother with Marine (40hp) injectors, they are worth little to nothing. The later blocks had piston oilers. Precups have next to nothing to do with power potential.

With that 93 truck, you should have the 599 block, which is the best block to have :)

Make sure you check and replace your harmonic balancer and the crankshaft pulley if they show any cracking or move. They are the lifeblood of these engines, and it WILL fail if these are not in good condition.

I should have added, this should get you close to 250 RWHP.
There is a bunch of performance parts coming out for these engines, next summer is what I hear through the grapevine. Won't be long before we will be seeing 350 RWHP ones running around.

I should have added, this should get you close to 250 RWHP.
There is a bunch of performance parts coming out for these engines, next summer is what I hear through the grapevine. Won't be long before we will be seeing 350 RWHP ones running around.
See this months Diesel Power there are different buidups including a Supercharged version.

Sell it and get a duramax :hehe: but really watch the egt's or you will be rebuilding the engine again. if you get a chance dont sink mony into that truck look for somthing witha little more nut stock. hell even if you could get your hands on a 7.3 PS you would be better of. Good luck to ya.

I know where this guy is coming from trust me. When I was looking for a truck, all I knew was I wanted a Chevy/GMC 4x4 3/4 ton or bigger, and a diesel. If I could have found a road worthy Duramax that was under $3500 TOTAL (taxes included) I sure as hell would have bought it lol. It's the poor mans diesel, unless you are really building one, then it is considered the rich mans diesel.

That being said IF you can afford a Duramax, I would suggest you get one.

Hehehe, it has more to do with IDI being an old technology and no one needing as powerful of engines.

I know you know fuel is fuel as long as it burns right :D

Back