Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Sled Pulling From Street to Pro-Mod, get your Sled Pulling fix here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
1965LONEWOLF

Name: 1965LONEWOLF
Title: lonewolf
Member`s Gallery
Hitch for reg cab 2500

HITCH FOR REG CAB 2500 - Looking for pictures and idea's out there on anyone's hitch setup for a regular cab 2004 dodge 2500 ? I just want to see what others are doing and the results of there hitch. Mine right now is that I took the stock factory hitch and cut it off and flipped it around and re welded it on. So the hitch is in more but it still drawing down or from the factory position on the frame . I wondering where is a good point on the frame i should be pulling from ? Let me know guys , I only pull in southern new england so guys from new york to west coast should have some info for me. Thanks for the help and space.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
And its not the hitch itself I'm looking for ideas , it where to weld or bolt on the receiver part of the hitch. So any idea's and or pictures would be appreciated.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
ryanss22

Name: ryanss22
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Over the center of rear axle is best.. most anyone will tell you that. Puts more.down pressure there and shortens the balance point more to the front when the weight on the sled hits . If that makes sence.. I'm also from NY, where abouts are you pulling? We have a great track behind the fonda speed way. Mvppl, also SPI is a great group to pull with

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!to

Old 06-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanss22 View Post
Over the center of rear axle is best.. most anyone will tell you that. Puts more.down pressure there and shortens the balance point more to the front when the weight on the sled hits . If that makes sence.. I'm also from NY, where abouts are you pulling? We have a great track behind the fonda speed way. Mvppl, also SPI is a great group to pull with
YES you right , I did that for years when I used to run a 4x4 MOD truck- now in the 8500 work stock street class we have top use a Reese hitch but we can move it in. the hitch itself i have and its a nice piece , what I'm trying to find out is how far to weld on and or bolt on another reciever ? I cut and flipped it around the stock tube type reciever thast was on there and that moved in the hitch a good 8 " but still pulling off the same point on the frame so did i really do anything buy flipping it ?

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
ryanss22

Member`s Gallery
If its.in the same place on frame then nothing really gained.. take some square stock and tie it into the side of the frame from back of the hitch it self.. there's a sticky page with about 30 pages.. worth the read and lots of pictures there
. Thas where I got hitch design from.

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!to

Old 06-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #6
ryanss22

Member`s Gallery
If you want to, get a roll pan or remove your bumper for pulls and then you stick the entire hitch in even more on the frame

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!to

Old 06-21-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
1965LONEWOLF

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanss22 View Post
If you want to, get a roll pan or remove your bumper for pulls and then you stick the entire hitch in even more on the frame
I notched the bumper and made it bolt on so when its on the street it looks normal and when i get to the pull I unbolt it . Hitch is in past the the bumper
now because its the stock factory tube hitch and when i cut it off I spun it around and flipped it .
If you look at a stock hitch on factory ram you'll see is tube design and bow's out towards the rear of the truck and the receiver is flush with the bumper, now because i have it going the other way its under the truck , I'm trying to find out if because is it making a difference still being welded to the factory location ( even though i spun it around and its in 8" more then stock )
Or should i return to stock and move it on the frame it self ?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
ryanss22

Member`s Gallery
If the hitch ot self is still connected to the same place on the frame, flipping it did nothing for you really.. I would take some tubing or pipe and add a triangle brace from center of the hitch tube to both side of the frame directly over the rear axle... make the hook part that slides into the hitch itself as far in as possible sence you notched the bumper. Try to look on the pinned post at the tip of the sled pulling section for a few other ideas and options with alot of pictures

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!!!!to

Closed Thread