Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 1500 EcoDiesel
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #301
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Over on Race-Dezert there is a Trophy Truck that is just getting finished that is running two EcoDiesel engines. One driving the front wheels and one driving the rears!!! There is video of it running on the last page! That is an EcoDiesel I would love to drive!!!!

Twin Engine Diesel Trophy Truck? | Page 5 | race-deZert

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:55 AM   #302
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
What about putting it on jackstands and see if you can duplicate the problem
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 AM   #303
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Update on the vibration. It is a bent rim and I am a cheap bastard so it will wait to get replaced until I have the time/money to get a set.

I have 103k on her now, and other than that vibration I have had no issues.

I do however thing that my intake in getting gunked up with soot/sludge and plan to take it off and clean it up one of these weekends when I have less going on than I do now.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:11 PM   #304
BigErk77

Name: BigErk77
Member`s Gallery
Does anyone use the edge insight to monitor engine parameters? Does it display EGT without adding a probe? It looks like my truck already has a 4 wire EGT probe in it. looking at reducing exhaust weight and doing a 40hp tune from PPEI soon.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #305
TCDiesel

Name: TCDiesel
Title: Home of the Gold Pumps
Member`s Gallery
lots of controversies surround the 3.0 VM yes I have one 2.5 Years...In lawsuits, QC issues, rotating mass failures and , The EPA civil Charges were Passed on to the DOJ and the DOJ filed the compliant Federal court and the DOJ added criminal charges to the complaint. I have been testing the 3.0 for the last 18 months for ways to bypass the systems emission and to My surprise it did not behave like other BlueTech Engines simply unplugging the EGR Actuator defeated the EGR Valve significantly, I acquired the device to measure tail pipe emissions (Combustion tester) it confirmed My suspicions that the system has conditional devices.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/unite...-clean-air-act

Fiat Chrysler used defeat software to beat emissions testing, lawsuit says | The State Journal | theet.com

Weather the NOx is destructive to the point the EPA claims is mute, A Number of parties has challenged the Level the EPA has set But all rulings have been in favor of the EPA , NOx is a natural element but the EPA claims huge amounts of NOx harms the environment and adversely affect Human airways. Law at the time EDs were sold required disclosure of NOx levels VIA CDX.

IMO, FCA is in big trouble Bosch before a German Prosecutors (Bosch) admitted to German regulators it designed defeat devices for Fiat models.

This all being said I had high hope for this diesel to change the Market.

I could go on and on .My Ed has been flawless after I replaced two under sized bearings at 2323 miles do to Tri-metal results in the 300+PPM range from 1st OA.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fca-caa-nov-2017-01-12.pdf (1.28 MB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 15 ECODIESEL-170806.pdf (26.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf 2017-05-23_fca_us_complaint_as_filed Ecodiesel.pdf (140.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by TCDiesel; 09-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Old 09-03-2017, 03:05 PM   #306
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
FCA does have some good products, But Blackmega you right Corp FCA behavior is shocking.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #307
BigErk77

Member`s Gallery
Having issues with my EcoDiesel

Driving it today I noticed a wooshing sound with the windows down like a small exhaust leak but not a hiss like a boost leak. Peeked over at the Gauges and noticed the boost was about half of what it normally is, the vgt was closed as if it were trying to make more boost, and the EGT's were up.

I limped it home and tested it for boost leaks, none avail. I did find a moderately concerning amount of oil in the intercooler piping though. Enough to wet the fingertips.

After looking at the minimal amount of information available on these turbos, where is the waste gate? I plan to fiddle with the VGT tomorrow and make sure it is moving freely but I am really pointed toward the waste gate being stuck open.

I read an article on a guy with a 2015 ED, same problems and the dealership just threw a new turbo on it under warranty. Mine is no longer warranty worthy, so before I drop the tranny to swap out the turbo.... Does anyone have some input that would help me out or things to test?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:28 PM   #308
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
It does not Have a waste gate... Call Me on this 763-228-7121

Old 09-04-2017, 09:14 PM   #309
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
My Eco has about 124K on it now..The only issue I can find with it is I smell burnt oil in the engine area...But I can't find it? No leaks that I can find.

Still runs great, wife is getting around 27-28 mpg

Its a little sluggish on the low end but runs out great.

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 09-04-2017, 09:34 PM   #310
TCDiesel

Member`s Gallery
Andrew At SS Diesel Twin Blowers ,Modded Pump , Bigger sprayers and tuning netted over 600HP and its been awhile since I talk to him . I'm haven't heard it puke on him. So when assemble correctly it a robust power plant.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #311
BigErk77

Member`s Gallery
Found the problem! EGR tube had a hole in one of the ripples. So glad I don't have to pull the tranny for a turbo swap. Thanks TCDiesel for the knowledge you threw my way! Now... do I make my own plate to go directly on the turbo or buy a new tube? I'm worried about not having the correct metal chemistry and causing torsional pressure on the turbo housing but there is a gasket between them so it should be ok right?

Old 11-01-2017, 05:57 AM   #312
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
On my way to work this morning I heard what sounded like an exhaust leak, it started when I was just 4 miles from work, when I got to the parking lot at work I definitely smelled the exhaust in the cab. Once it gets bright here I am going to have to investigate. Truck has 115,637 currently.

Quote:
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:30 AM   #313
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
Same problem Eric had. Going to have to cut the ripple crap off and cap it. Someone should make the EGR delete that already has this ripple cut off and capped.

Quote:

Old 11-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #314
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErk77 View Post
Found the problem! EGR tube had a hole in one of the ripples. So glad I don't have to pull the tranny for a turbo swap. Thanks TCDiesel for the knowledge you threw my way! Now... do I make my own plate to go directly on the turbo or buy a new tube? I'm worried about not having the correct metal chemistry and causing torsional pressure on the turbo housing but there is a gasket between them so it should be ok right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 DIESEL View Post
Same problem Eric had. Going to have to cut the ripple crap off and cap it. Someone should make the EGR delete that already has this ripple cut off and capped.
Pictures?

Is it as simple as the big truck EGR deletes? Just make some plates and coolant bypass?

Old 11-03-2017, 05:33 AM   #315
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
I got my pipe off last night, broke two of the three bolts though so I am going to have to get them off tonight after stopping and getting a cap welded on the pipe.

The material is stainless, no idea what grade other than I know at the bellows it is thin.

This picture shows how it looked when I got it off finally. Note the burn though in the heat blanket where the crack is. Side note make sure you soak the crap out of the three bolts with penetrating lube of your choice. I could only get one of the three soaked, and it was the only one that did not break.

Click the image to open in full size.

This picture shows how bad mine was broken, it might have been stretched open some from trying to get it out, but the break is what it was.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can see on the end that is sitting on the bench that there is a block-off plate from the EGR delete kit that I purchased. IMHO these kits should block them off at the other end of this pipe. It is much easier to block them off where the kit currently does, but then when this pipe brakes, you are screwed.

When this pipe brakes, you will hear a hissing, not like a boost leak, not like an exhaust leak, but a combination of the two. You can only hear it under load, and you will NOT throw a check engine light. From watching Eric's Edge when his had the same issue I found out that it will create almost zero boost and the EGT's will be sky high compared to normal driving.

As for the question about what is in the delete kit, there are two block off plates, one on the EGR side of the pictured pipe, and one for at the intake. There is also two pieces of coolant hose and a three way coolant y block to connect the hoses together. The coolant hoses are two different sizes, so if you choose to make your own you will need more than one size of hose and fittings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171102_190305.jpg (467.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20171102_190318.jpg (442.5 KB, 0 views)

Quote:

Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM   #316
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I understand now. So why are you repairing the pipe instead of just cutting a block off plate?

Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 AM   #317
06 DIESEL

Member`s Gallery
I am not repairing the pipe, I cut it off at the fitting and am welding a block off plate on it. If this wasn't my daily driver I would get some plates made, but this is the easiest and fastest repair I can do currently.

Quote:

Old 01-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #318
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Travis that is what I did with mine, just put block plates on. Been going on several hundred miles with no issues.

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Closed Thread