Timing versus HP comparison.

RonA

Just an observation from yesterday with a temp of about 73 deg. versus a couple of runs a while back on the same dyno with a temperature of about 66 deg. nearly the same humidity.
Comparing runs at 22.25 deg of timing to runs at 26 deg of timing, the power level was up on the higher timing in the following manner.(gov springs were also tightened 2 additional clicks).

start at 80mph(rpm numbers are approx).

2100rpm-equal
2250- +35hp
2385- +125hp
2500- +150hp
2650- +200hp
2780- +225hp
2915- +200hp
3050- +100hp
3180- even

Your results will vary, but it gives an idea of the change in power under the curve from the timing change.

Another thank you to Chris and Jeremy at Jefferson State Diesel for all their help.
RonA

Last edited:
Is this on your new build Ron?

No. Same old 5.9 for an apples to apples comparison.
On a side note, and not trying to stir up anything, with the exception of one run(which could be just a fluke), the F1 Mach 7's at 2.9 lpm made about the same overall power as the Exergy nozzles at 4.25 lpm. The runs were alot cleaner yesterday with the higher timing suggesting that I may need larger injectors, or that my 13mm pump may be in need of some freshening up. I have a set of 4.85 lpm nozzles and a set of 5.25 lpm nozzles here to try.

No. Same old 5.9 for an apples to apples comparison.
On a side note, and not trying to stir up anything, with the exception of one run(which could be just a fluke), the F1 Mach 7's at 2.9 lpm made about the same overall power as the Exergy nozzles at 4.25 lpm. The runs were alot cleaner yesterday with the higher timing suggesting that I may need larger injectors, or that my 13mm pump may be in need of some freshening up. I have a set of 4.85 lpm nozzles and a set of 5.25 lpm nozzles here to try.
Thought you weren't gonna share those.

Keeping my eye on this one! Ron, I want to ask the obvious question as everyone words things differently. The additional power was made with the higher timing right?

(What prompted the need (or want) for the additional governor spring clicks?)

You ask Ron for a reason for changing something? Come on! Have you noticed nothing stays the same on his truck very long. That is some interesting info, I wonder if numbers climb like this on a stock pump.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that 22.5deg and 26 degs both started at the same hp level and ended up at the same hp level. There was no peak gain, but there was an increase in torque and hp throughout the rest of the run.

I keep looking at these graphs and i still don't understand why the power fell off earlier with higher timing and the 2 extra clicks of the governor springs.

Attachments

• wristpins 001.jpg
    wristpins 001.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
I think you used up your available rail pressure too soon.

(edit) based on the graph, are you sure the gov springs were tightened and not loosened? (just asking the obvious question based upon the graph)

Last edited:
Maybe i got it mixed up. What's the old saying, goosey loosey, tightie whitey. Lefty righty doggie bitey. I'll check the protrusion with a pair of calipers.

Try this; two runs initial +1 and 26°, two runs initial +3 and 22°, then you will know what caused what.

Back