Gotta love a 2nd gen!

J-Pipes

Well, got a new issue. Finally got around to putting the front drive shaft back in today from taking it out trying to find a vibration. When I backed out of the garage with the headlights on, 4x4 wasn't working. Pulled back in, thought maybe I knocked a vacuum line off, but, I still had the shifter in 4Lo, turned the headlights off before killing the engine, and as soon as I switched them off, the 4wd light came on the dash. So I backed back out with the lights off, and the 4wd worked fine!

So what the heck do I need to look for? Why would the headlights being on kill the 4wd? Should also mention that the left front marker/turn signal light has no bulb in it because it has power at all times, until you turn the lights on, then it goes out! I've just been driving it without a bulb for about 5-6yrs now!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Was the 4x4 actually not engaged or just not lighting up the indicator light on the dash? Mine just had a bunch of weird electrical issues that ended up being poor connections at the ignition switch on the column

Not engaged. Was at my parents, snow and ice covered drive, once I was out of the garage, I'd just blip the throttle and see which tires spun!

There's nothing electrical involved with locking the frt axle in. If it hasn't been engaged in awhile, sometimes you have to move back and forward a bit for the cad axle to engage.

Best way to solve all problems is replace all that vacuum crap with a posi lock cable kit.

There's nothing electrical involved with locking the frt axle in. If it hasn't been engaged in awhile, sometimes you have to move back and forward a bit for the cad axle to engage.

Best way to solve all problems is replace all that vacuum crap with a posi lock cable kit.

Agreed! I've had a posi-lok cable on my 97 for over 10 years after I developed vacuum issues. Only thing is you need to anticipate needed 4wd with the cable because I almost always have to roll forward or backward to get it to fully engage. You get stuck and you're probably not going to get it locked in.

4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s

Agreed! I've had a posi-lok cable on my 97 for over 10 years after I developed vacuum issues. Only thing is you need to anticipate needed 4wd with the cable because I almost always have to roll forward or backward to get it to fully engage. You get stuck and you're probably not going to get it locked in.

4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Dodge 4x4s
I thought the same thing about getting stuck and not getting it to lock in. But what your trying to do is alighn the splines with the collar so if your stuck spinning and pull the cable it'll lock right in. I have the same issue with disengagement though, but beats the alternative I think

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Well that's kinda what I was thinking about the electrical input. As for putting it into 4x4 regularly, even though the front shaft has been out for ~9 months, I did put the t-case in 4x4 nearly every time I've driven it in that time, just put it in 4Lo for tight maneuvers instead of riding the clutch. Not really a big deal, the 4x4 won't be used on the road anyway, more for just I case I go into a ditch or something, maybe putting it into 4x4 will let me get back onto the road. I got my weight setup put in the bed yesterday too, so I should do fine in 2wd! That center rack is pinned in place of the ball of my B&W hitch.
c3da401581e6f4d95ec0f0dbfe58b185.jpg

will they come up if you hit any sweet jumps?
Not after today! Brackets are from the brush gaurd that used to be on the truck. Cut two slots in the pipe for each one, slid in and stuck a bolt in each one so it can't come out, also put a cheap lock on one to further discourage would be weight thrives!
ac52fb6539f9e9e63ae3a35e81d2827f.jpg

Last edited:
Back