Different front axle for First Gen Dodge?

RonA

I desperately need better brakes for my first gen. Is there a different front axle that could be put in that has larger rotors? I've done the hydro-boost swap and while it was an improvement, it is not nearly enough.

I wouldn't change the front axle. There are plenty of 2nd and 3rd gen guys who wish they had a Dana 60 with kingpins, lockouts, and tapered wheel bearings. What about your rear brakes? Are they properly adjusted? Maybe you can put better wheel cylinders in that have a smaller bore.

I would think that a 99-04 superduty would be and easy swap.

Except for the fact that the Super Duty trucks have a different bolt pattern...

It has been a while since I've seen/worked on a 1st gen. What kind of brakes do they have? You might try comparing the kingpin Ford brakes to the kingpin Dodge brakes and see if there is an improvement there.

I've been looking online at some of the 4wd shop offerings. DynaTrac has something called a Pro Rock 60. It says it has larger rotors. I'll call them Monday and check it out. I might be able to find a shop that can splice something onto mine. If I could get brakes that worked as well as 3rd gen's I'd be happy to mod the rear to get the wheels to match. I don't have rear discs yet. I've asked around and everyone says the fronts are the problem. Going to rear discs is only a slight improvement.

i'd start talking to brake companies and see if there are any kits.... maybe bigger calipers etc.

I've been looking online at some of the 4wd shop offerings. DynaTrac has something called a Pro Rock 60. It says it has larger rotors. I'll call them Monday and check it out. I might be able to find a shop that can splice something onto mine. If I could get brakes that worked as well as 3rd gen's I'd be happy to mod the rear to get the wheels to match. I don't have rear discs yet. I've asked around and everyone says the fronts are the problem. Going to rear discs is only a slight improvement.
The problem is DynaTrac makes their products out of gold and diamonds, or at least charge you like they do.

i'd start talking to brake companies and see if there are any kits.... maybe bigger calipers etc.

x2, call Baer or Wilwood, new slotted rotors and calipers will be you best bet.

Id replace all the brake hoses with steel braided brake line there is a kit out there. It will be your best bang for the buck. It is a world of difference and its considerably cheaper than the other options.

a ford axle has the diff mounted on the wrong side for a 1 st gen truck. you have a good front axle. i am sure you should be able to find some better rotors and calipers for a lot less money and a lot less work. check out currie also

Currie, Baer, Wilwood, .... there are no upgrades available. When I get a chance i will go down to the truck wreckers and look at some different axles. If there isn't anything that looks good for a splice(that there are upgrades available for), then a custom axle will be the only option. Dynatrac at least makes options. That's probably why they are expensive.

Aren't brake upgrades for older chevies pretty common? Chev d60's are on the right side for the 1st gen.

chevy 60's are almost identical to the early dodges. I just put wagner thermoquiet front pads on mine and redid the rear brakes and it stops on a dime now. make sure your rear brakes are adjusted up tight and the adjusters are functioning properly. they are supposed to adjust when you back up and hit the brakes. I'm running 35's on mine.

Ron it can be done, you can get brackets to run a willwood caliper and also 8 lug hats and you can get drilled and sloted rotors.I can dig up part numbers if you want.

No need for drilled rotors on a 1 ton truck. Just one more place to introduce cracking.

Tobin

or go slotted vs drilled...

Ron--did you check out EGR brakes---they make lots of kits for trucks--if they don't show your yr call them---that's where I'd start.....next I'd contemplate swapping in a chebby 60 or cutting the c's off and weld on some dedenbears or equal and get some some dedenbear knuckles and build a ford 60 outer set up----chris

dodge and chev dana 60F axles ARE identical.... just the chev's have there spring perch's a tad narrower then the dodges..... a very popular swap is a dodge d60f into a chev becuase a chev dif is top dollar.... everyone throws dodge in the trash (70's and 80's)

^^^^ king pin axles of course

What problem are you having exactly.... I lost the rear drums and haven't a problem

I have a CC, 1 ton, front and rear D60hd's on 35's and discs all around...

I can stop pretty short, for a truck i can drive into a corner deeper then most would try with a car...

I drive everything like im racing it too, i never even had fade issues...

Back