Photo of a H2 Cam compared to 04.5 stocker

Im not saying anything, cause JETPILOT said i dont know what im talking about and there isnt any shaft difference in the helix but i guess its a optical illusion?

H2 Cam

Since I took my truck back to stock I now have a new H2 cam,.. never used. PM if interested.

You wont break this one!!!!!!!

The new SAE 8620 Billet Steel Camshaft from F1. The ONLY bolt-on, Billet steel camshaft in the industry that also allows use of the factory cam gear without modification.

Some of the differences in why you want this cam over other billets available is clear below.

Attachments

• billet1.jpg
    billet1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 177
A couple more

We retained the fuel pump lobe to drive a mechanical pump if the engine build is needing one.

Attachments

• cam3.jpg
    cam3.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 149
The wider lobe is not needed with the Helix 2 grind.

Longer duration allows a slower lift on the lobe compared to stock. The wider lobe also slows tappet rotation which adds to higher wear on regrind cams. Rotating the tappets ( called sliding tappets also ) are key to slower wear.

The Helix is harder at the lobe as well. The lighter overall rotating mass/weight helps avoid breakage under heavy loads. Simply less mass.

When the molds are produced, we can make them any configuration we like. Wider, not as wide, etc. A larger diameter, etc. The Helix is made this way by design.

The only load we dont like on the Helix cast cams is a 13mm inline P pump. Actually it is not the load to turn the P pump, but the unloading and shock that can oocur if a driveline piece breaks and the load is removed quickly.

The Helix lobes are the same width as the 12V cam, but not as wide as the 24 and CR. Some discussion has occured on paying for another mold, but this has not been needed. Our wear rates are the lowest we have seen on any of the cams available.

Boy, a lot has change since you hopped onto my cam post a few weeks ago, Dr. Duran once said "Facts and Data will set you free" apparently he rights. That's a nice picture, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the cut down cam nose/ key way where the gear seat's. The Nose of those Cams only penetrates 1/2 the width of the gear, the remainder is filled by a loose fitting aluminum cam plug (marine lock) I have installed the gear, place the cam vertically, grab the gear with my hands and move from it from side to side. Now, the lock wasn't bolted in but I can't do that w/ an unaltered nose. This is because the cam nose doesn't pert rude by a 16th" past the cam gear like you find on normal cams.

I love the wider lobe cams the broad crown give greater stability plus more wear surface. My cams desirer 13mm and 14 mm pumps, soon, I'll be able to add 17mm to that list. As a matter of fact, I have a wide lobe test cam (big lift) that has been in and out of several 12v test engines in the past years, I beat that bustard until it bags me to kill it. The shaft is thick, the lobes are wide, plus since its' been ran hard it eliminates the question whether it has "Piping" gas pockets found in new course casts. Also, I think we forgot to elaborate on the principles of rotational vibration factors and the dynamics of major ellipse axis (orbit) vs rotation speed. lateral vibration responses are greatly diminished by stiffness and the damping effects of center material mass These tests are usually simulated at the rotational midspan,

Please note: All of the above and observation were derived from Helix cams that customers have sent me to put my profile into, I will not grind my profile into those cams, the shafts are too thin.

The F1 Billet Helix is also has a thicker shaft area between journal number 1 and number 2 for increassed strength. This is different from other Billet cams available now that have a reduced diameter and resulting lower strength.

Generous radiusing of the steel where the main shaft meets the bearing journals also adds durability. We have the most material you can have in this area without risking tappet interferance on the wider CR tappet.

Attachments

• cam2.jpg
    cam2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 103
BTW, the new Billets also share a critical attribute with the cast iron Helix cams, they are still the only cams all ground on CNC cam grinders while the rest on the market are still produced on manual machines with lower part to part accuracy.

Availability?

Chris

I only picked them up yesterday ( 30 cams ) and we started hardness testing a few of them. We also did adcole testing. I still have a few tweaks to do and some beta testing starts this week.

I bet it will be late September before they are for sale. The price will be VERY affordable when compared to the others that are currently selling from 1200-1500 bucks. I hope to be deep sub 1K complete with everything included.

So with the new billet cams you have in testing, will a person still need the block machined for cam bearing?

It will work both ways. Some Billets will be able to "drop-in" and others will require machine work to the block to install cam bushings compatable with 8620 steel.

Pricing will be higher for the "drop-in" part.

In some cases, the drop-in will be less money for a guy who's build requires a Billet cam and will not want to tear the engine down, machine the block and re-assemble the whole mess. If you are already going to rip an engine apart for a rebuild, etc. the bushing route may save some money.

Starting to put some rocket science into them now? :poke:

What model are you using to spec your cams with?

looks nice

[ Now thats a much better looking cam shaft! But it Must be used and have 20k or so of miles on it, to come with lobes that have such a nice finish.:hehe:

It will work both ways. Some Billets will be able to "drop-in" and others will require machine work to the block to install cam bushings compatable with 8620 steel.

Pricing will be higher for the "drop-in" part.

In some cases, the drop-in will be less money for a guy who's build requires a Billet cam and will not want to tear the engine down, machine the block and re-assemble the whole mess. If you are already going to rip an engine apart for a rebuild, etc. the bushing route may save some money.

I'd love to have a "drop-in" billet since finding a machine shop to bore the journals out for bushings out here is next to impossible. Hard to believe in the gargantuian city of LA that no one has the capability to line bore a Cummins block.....don't want to but I think I might wait on a new cam until those "drop-in" billets are available.

Joe

The F1 Billet Helix is also has a thicker shaft area between journal number 1 and number 2 for increassed strength. This is different from other Billet cams available now that have a reduced diameter and resulting lower strength.

Generous radiusing of the steel where the main shaft meets the bearing journals also adds durability. We have the most material you can have in this area without risking tappet interferance on the wider CR tappet.

LOL!!!! They're all like that, My cams are melted down, scaffold of contaminates, then electrode-oscilations stiffens the shaft as it's showerd w/ H-13 aloieds. Then, the cam is wiped off, laid onto padding and located next to a television set. BTW ; my cam can beat yours up:hehe:

Back