Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Old 10-16-2014, 03:28 AM   #341
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
New project on its way. Euro 6 DAF/Paccar MX13 engine with Delphi F2D fuel system.

First part of the wire loom is made and we use the OE ECU box as a connection box for all the wiring from de Adaptronic diesel ECU that will be located under the co pilot seat.

Originally this engine has a Holset VGT turbo that we replaced for a BorgWarner S400SX series and to have control over the boost pressure we installed a TiAl wastegate and a MAC valve for close loop boost control by the ECU system.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #342
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
This will be interesting to see what kind of power can be had with a Paccar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #343
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRam96 View Post
This will be interesting to see what kind of power can be had with a Paccar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well the Euro 5 Paccar with pumps and smart injectors runs 900Hp with modified injectors.

The aim for this engine is 900 to 1000Hp depending on the size of turbo used and hope to get more low end power out of this F2D Delphi fuel system as its commonrail.

Here is the curve for a 13L Scania XPI engine running with a 76mm HX60 or 80mm BorgWarner S400SX series and I think it can be compared to the Paccar as well al do the Paccar engine get a smaller turbocharger and will run 2400Rpm max or maybe lower with drastic boost pressure reduction as the turbo will run out of air on hi RPM.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 PM   #344
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Have you tried retro fitting any mechanical engines like you did with the 2 stroke detroit, I would think an injector adapter for a 3406B/C would be fairly simple to produce as they do it with traditional bosch nozzles.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #345
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Have you tried retro fitting any mechanical engines like you did with the 2 stroke detroit, I would think an injector adapter for a 3406B/C would be fairly simple to produce as they do it with traditional bosch nozzles.
Well reality tells us that a latest generation type of engines provide a better platform to get more power out of an engine without making smoke. So knowing this it’s not hard to understand that using a older type of engine needs a lot more than only the latest generation fuel system so you end up with developing and old new engine with a extra cost involved.

The 2 stroke was a good example as the new commonrail fuel system makes a lot more power bending the conn rods like it was made from wood. Over the last years engine materials and construction methods increased stiffness and so on up to 500% so converting to a electronic fuel system is more an act of passion and love for a type of engine I think.

Also getting aces to brand new type of engine is not hard for us. Short after release or production trucks will get damaged and scraped so al you need to do is bay one take it apart take the parts you want and store the rest as used parts and sell them back to dealers.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #346
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Last race this year and 3 days of truck racing fun.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #347
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Well the Euro 5 Paccar with pumps and smart injectors runs 900Hp with modified injectors.

The aim for this engine is 900 to 1000Hp depending on the size of turbo used and hope to get more low end power out of this F2D Delphi fuel system as its commonrail.

Here is the curve for a 13L Scania XPI engine running with a 76mm HX60 or 80mm BorgWarner S400SX series and I think it can be compared to the Paccar as well al do the Paccar engine get a smaller turbocharger and will run 2400Rpm max or maybe lower with drastic boost pressure reduction as the turbo will run out of air on hi RPM.
Are those real numbers or just simulation ? Anyway, you should get much higher torque down low. 12 litre unit pump engines make over 4100 Nm at about 1600 rpm or lower.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:03 AM   #348
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Are those real numbers or just simulation ? Anyway, you should get much higher torque down low. 12 litre unit pump engines make over 4100 Nm at about 1600 rpm or lower.
Yes I know as this is not the only race truck engine we done and this is a 13L XPI with typical XPI problems and they are solved now so we think the data is incorrect as we pulled harder out of a turn than a C factory MAN lease engine during the first races this year and it needs more hi end power.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #349
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes I know as this is not the only race truck engine we done and this is a 13L XPI with typical XPI problems and they are solved now so we think the data is incorrect as we pulled harder out of a turn than a C factory MAN lease engine during the first races this year and it needs more hi end power.
what are those XPI problems ? Hp numbers look good to me with 76 and 80 mm compressors, if they are with restrictor they are close to maximum. MAN racers claim something like 5500 Nm but I don't know if they are true.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 AM   #350
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
what are those XPI problems ? Hp numbers look good to me with 76 and 80 mm compressors, if they are with restrictor they are close to maximum. MAN racers claim something like 5500 Nm but I don't know if they are true.
Well there is big difference between the power/torque you can produce on a dyno and on the track. We call this the engine load factor as how fast the engine accelerates. A race truck is relative low in weight so it moves very fast up in RPM so you get a lot more turbo lag as the rotating parts in the turbo need time to accelerate. On the XPI engine on most tracks the turbo is on max speed @ 1700 RPM than peaks and short after drops down on boost pressure.

If we put the same engine on a dyno and give it some time to load up the engine I can get max boost @ under 1400RPM even getting to boost to 58PSI or 4Bar boost pressure having loads of time to inject a large amount of fuel making it possible to make massive torque numbers without smoke. Only problem it’s not realistic as on the track you never get there.

MAN and other factory teams put a lot of effort to get faster spool-up on their engine. We also installed a turbo for the next races with a lot less rotating mass and it seems to work as yesterday we get a half a donut as a power slide was expected so the turbo kicks in a lot harder so if the race track is providing a lot of traction I have to soften up the torque control.
80% of the tracks the driver used the soft power setting already so it’s not like there is a lag of power and the more torque means a load more traction problems as well.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #351
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Bid of work overload so not a lot of time to post stuff.

Last weekend we where @ Brands Hatch UK for the last truck races and did load of things having 4 semi trucks on the track al using my diesel ECU system. Load of fun looking @ log data making changes to the ECU settings and in the process blow up a hybrid turbo with an unknown where about. .

The track conditions during practice day where not to bad so we get some decent data testing a BorgWarner S400SX series and it made a change to the Holset HX60 with the same dimensions. Boost went up a fair bit same goes for AFR and discharge temp compressor and EGT went down by 20 degrees centigrade. Only problem is more torque and traction do not always a along that well and calling the truck driver a chicken for lifting the accelerator is also not fair as he has been lectured in the part for mowing the crass in a un neat way so it took some effort to filter out some use full data. Have a look @ the yellow TPS line in one of the pictures of a log file.
We also discover that the Scania 13L XPI powerhouse sill got some power left but to get more low end torque some changes have to be made to the camshaft.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:23 PM   #352
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
First start-up for the Schoones Dakar truck NR 4 with a Daf/Paccar MX13 Commonrail engine.

Still some work to be done on this off road rally truck. Still have to install the wiring to the fan drive and boost control solenoid and also the engine break.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:29 AM   #353
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Nothing special with only 90Kw but al in a days work.

Old 11-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #354
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday we had the madden run of the Daf/Paccar Euro 6 MX13 Schoones Dakar off road rally truck.
Still a lot of things to do like calibrating all sensor and after this start making some Horse Power.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:33 AM   #355
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday I spend some time on the new projects for the Semi Truck Puller.

We are building a new V8 with more cylinder displacement and we did find the parts we want and get them from our sponsors. The challenge is how to make them all fit and also the combustion chamber is experimental but on that part we have plan A to even C if needed. Only question is do we get the time to test it al and can we use it for next year?

Also went over to the other build location where the team is constructing the new Man van Janne 3 Scania Torpedo. Also this project work due to a load of sponsors that want to step in with material and craftsmanship.
Looks like in the next week the stacks will be fitted and than we can work out the intercooler size and after this everything around the engine can be constructed from air intakes to down pipes………..

Old 12-02-2014, 02:26 AM   #356
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Some dragrace fun with Semi Trucks in Greece. I start liking these D12 Volvo engines. No smoke great power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJuDe...ature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GHZj...ature=youtu.be

Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #357
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I start liking these D12 Volvo engines. No smoke great power.
best engine Volvo has ever made, one of the best electronic engines ever made. But I'm still fan of mechanical Cummins L10 and M11, no smoke greater power.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBc8dEeKCE
Old 12-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #358
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Well I can not agree with you mister Liefie on the L10 and M11. I should not say this but the whole BTRA 2 division is full of smelly smoking Cummins L engines greasing the track with their unburned fuel so not a great engine platform to start from as some went over to MAN D28 in a Sisu another went from L11 to D12 Volvo but a D13 Volvo or Scania XPI has far more potential @ lower cost.

With the data generated from this year we hope to set the specs for next year and it looks that we can get a wider RPM range out of the Euro 5/6 engine for a very small budged on parts but it is labour intensive to build an engine around one critical part.

Other problem that some Dutch teams had to face is with the power increase the stability of the truck frame was playing up a lot more so a lot of work will be done in that part as well to stiffen up the framework.

Enjoy
http://www.digitexvideo.co.uk/webtv/...brands-hatch/#
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #359
Leiffi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well I can not agree with you mister Liefie on the L10 and M11. I should not say this but the whole BTRA 2 division is full of smelly smoking Cummins L engines greasing the track with their unburned fuel so not a great engine platform to start from as some went over to MAN D28 in a Sisu another went from L11 to D12 Volvo but a D13 Volvo or Scania XPI has far more potential @ lower cost.

With the data generated from this year we hope to set the specs for next year and it looks that we can get a wider RPM range out of the Euro 5/6 engine for a very small budged on parts but it is labour intensive to build an engine around one critical part.

Other problem that some Dutch teams had to face is with the power increase the stability of the truck frame was playing up a lot more so a lot of work will be done in that part as well to stiffen up the framework.

Enjoy
http://www.digitexvideo.co.uk/webtv/...brands-hatch/#
there can not be cheper engine than PT Cummins to build power from. With the price of your ECU you get injectors, camshaft and turbo for Cummins, thats 1100-1200 hp from 10 liters. Dont care about idle smoke and track greasing could be prevented with vertical stacks but they are forbidden in Europe, we have our own regulations.

But yes, future is in electronics, I hope someone learns to modify original ECUs better than they do now.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #360
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
there can not be cheper engine than PT Cummins to build power from. With the price of your ECU you get injectors, camshaft and turbo for Cummins, thats 1100-1200 hp from 10 liters. Dont care about idle smoke and track greasing could be prevented with vertical stacks but they are forbidden in Europe, we have our own regulations.

But yes, future is in electronics, I hope someone learns to modify original ECUs better than they do now.
Well Leiffi it must be hard for you to face reality. I worked over 21 years with Cummins PT system and yes you can do some impressive stuff with them but really the thing ended way back with the HPI systems otherwise we would have used it. PT had only end of injection and STC can advance timing but you still get nowhere close to quality of fuel delivery from a XPI or F2 fuel system.

You see the thing between tuning and engineering is: tuning think big spend big and engineering is more lets look what inside the box and on a modern engine there is a lot more than most think you only need to find out how to get it out!
You see most team have the option to overhaul an old engine and upgrade loads of stuff or get a later model engine with most needed parts already on them. Bay our ECU system and maybe a turbocharger and let us do the camshaft and have a far more reliable better performing engine for about the same money. And how can this be? Well easy most race teams I know are into trucks and it’s not so hard to get a latest model engines. Most come out of a crashed truck that will be taken apart and sold in parts to make money. You only need to wait until you find it and that’s why we plan one year ahead with things for most teams.
We also exchange parts between the different types of motor sport with semi trucks.

Well Leiffi the thing with OE ECU systems on trucks is by the time you get it working for 70% the engine is already obsolete still closing one door and find out some others opened giving you other problems and the thing only gets better with the after treatment stuff and it will turn in a professional hobby after some time. And even messing about with some OE R&D stuff we can not get the behaviour we want to have.
So here you have it spending one year of my live programming a diesel ECU system making a living out of it testing new stuff for EO with it. Talking about entering things with the front door is a lot easer than reversed engineering and in the line of work I’m doing you just share information is possible among those doing the same job but for those who only ask there is none.

Good luck Leiffi

Last edited by tall boy; 12-06-2014 at 07:29 AM.