Might have stripped ring and pinion

Axle is done, along with bearing.

is it really just that one bearing on the rear? can I just pull off what's left of the old one and press the new one on? Or does that whole end of the axle tube come out? It looks like there are threads on part of it. I've never had one broke down before so I'm at a loss here.

uploadfromtaptalk1375126274647.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1375126290640.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
On edit, went and shook out the out hub, and the phucking nut fell out! I was wondering where it had went LOL

So I'll need the outer and inner bearing assemblies, a seal, an axle, and I think I'll be ok.

Looks like somehow the damn nut backed off, and allowed everything to go haywire. I'm just trying to figure out how it made i through over 2 years of beatings, and then gives out when it's in it's "retired" tow truck status.

So seeing how it all came apart, I still don't see what holds the hub and bolted on axle onto the tube, besides the rotor/caliper. Or does the nut hold against the outer bearing thats pressed into the hub?

Sorry if I appear stupid with this, but it's because I am.

Last edited:
Call Inland Truck Parts north of the airport in OKC. You might get better junk than you will at NAPA. I bought all new rear bearings and seals from them for the 02. Prices might be better as well.

Oklahoma City Oklahoma, Inland Truck Parts Company

They'll have axles, bearing, seals, and can do driveline shortening, balancing, etc etc etc.

I feel your pain, brotha. :D

IMG_0782800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Jory, I'll call them first. I need to find a used axle first though. Doubt i can afford new.

I dug out my service manual and found out with that wedge/keeper should look like. That did not come out with the rest of the crap.

so I think what happened is that wedge fell out, the nut backed off, the bearings went to chit, the hub got chitty and the axle broke.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
FWIW, they had my axle in stock when I bought mine and it was like $95 or so. Not sure if that is correct but I remember being shocked when they told me the price. I figured they would be twice that.

Back