cam upgrade

dcanmech

Does anyone know of a good cam swap for the 93 12v. One of the guys i work with has one in his chevy. Any thoughts if a cam out of a HO 24v would be good or a 97, 98 12v .

Cant use the 24V due to, well its 24 valves, were only 12. Plus there is no lift pump lobe. The best swap would either be after market, or a 98 12 valve cam.

i didn't think that a 24v cam would make a difference since there is sill only 12 lifters in the engine just like a 12v. but as for the lift pump lobe i haven't payed attention to that when i have removed them but i will have to look for it the next time i pull a cam on a 24v.

dcanmech said:
i didn't think that a 24v cam would make a difference since there is sill only 12 lifters in the engine just like a 12v. but as for the lift pump lobe i haven't payed attention to that when i have removed them but i will have to look for it the next time i pull a cam on a 24v.
You can look all you want on a 24V cam- you just won't find the pump lobe.

I would use an aftermarket cam for a 12V, then you'll be fine. It has the lobe.:Cheer:

Depending on how "wild" he's going to go with the engine upgrades, and judging from the cam idea (unless he is/was big into gas power) he may want to invest in an electric lift pump. The stock mechanical lift pumps on the first gens absolutly suck! Its quite amazing what the VE pump can put up with. A friend of mine didnt even know the lift pump was gone!! The VE was drawing its own fuel, and we drove vertually non-stop 600 miles with it like that! :doh:

There really r 2 routes to go with the lift pump, a second gen piston lift pump, or one of the multiple 15PSI max electric lift pump ideas.

Back