Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 AM   #21
bwdt

Name: bwdt
Title: engineer
Member`s Gallery
I would just get an exhaust brake controller. that way you could turn on the exhaust brake and operate it from the brake pedal and it would turn off when the truck idles and then reactivate when the pedal is depressed.
Since I'm putting a six speed Allison in my truck with the tow haul switch, I can have the same switch activate the exhaust brake.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #22
12valve

Name: 12valve
Title: Diesel Boy
Member`s Gallery
what brake controller? and how does one work?

The way i set mine up, it wouldnt be easy to operate the EB of a brake wire, unless you would use a couple of relays, or a very special switch, ive been thinkering with that idea, but cant come up with soemthing yet.
Im using a little electric motor, that move the rod in and out.
it works just like and electric window, you have to push the button some time to turn the motor till its where you want, and if you push the other button, it turns the other way (exchanges both wire's polarity)
The upside of this is, that it will stay where you leave it, and not move, unlike a door lock motor

if there was a way to make it work with a little solenoid, i think it would work better.... Im thinking about improving it.

There was mentioned a progressive spring earlier, ive been thinking about that too, didnt know such think exists, i was thinking like a governor spring kit (3 dif size springs) cuz it seems like a 15 psi it will open and at 1 or 2 more psi its already fully open... wish it would move much slower.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #23
bwdt

Name: bwdt
Title: engineer
Member`s Gallery
Talked to fleece today and they told me that they will have a controller out in three weeks and it should be around six hundred. He said that you will have full adjust-ability and an exhaust brake function

as to your exhaust brake, I would get a solenoid off of an existing brake with one of their controllers and you should be set some of them use air pressure and you could use boost pressure to activate it with a solenoid and it would work until boost was gone?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
Trapper

Name: Trapper
Title: Hater
Member`s Gallery
I could see that working but we have a few good examples, we can run these turbos easier and no programming needed. But it's a good idea.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #25
12VEG

Name: 12VEG
Title: Veggie Burner
Member`s Gallery
nice work!

So you just chopped the stock VGT and HX35 elbows, and welded the VGT flange up to the HX35 elbow? I like it, I think I'm gonna do that too.
1997 2500 SCLB NV4500 4x4 - 5x.012 VCO's, No Plate, Modded and Tuned AFC, 4K GSK/60# VS, 2095 Plug, 16º Timing, 4" TBE, K&N Intake, Isspro EV Gauges, South Bend SDD3250, Bilstein 5100's, KDP Tabbed, 40 Gal. Veggie Oil System, B100 & WVO burner!

Old 10-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #26
12valve

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12VEG View Post
nice work!

So you just chopped the stock VGT and HX35 elbows, and welded the VGT flange up to the HX35 elbow? I like it, I think I'm gonna do that too.
Exactly! i cut just the flange of and it nicely fits over the hx35 elbow-flange, it worked better than i would have thought
The downpipe comes a bit more to the right fender of the truck) since the outlet of the vgt comes out further away from the manifold, but on my truck it worked..

Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #27
sooter

Name: sooter
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
nice video...basically the same design as mine. i really like how it mounts to the T3 rather than dealing with the pita adapter...and the idea for the exhaust brake/spring set up on the actuator.

what is the electric motor for the exhaust brake? (generic?) are you worried about heat from the exhaust eventually frying the electric motor?

as you guys can tell these things are wicked quiet...say by to loud straight pipes and drone

Arguing with a CF member is like arguing with a dining room table

Old 11-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
12valve

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sooter View Post
nice video...basically the same design as mine. i really like how it mounts to the T3 rather than dealing with the pita adapter...and the idea for the exhaust brake/spring set up on the actuator.

what is the electric motor for the exhaust brake? (generic?) are you worried about heat from the exhaust eventually frying the electric motor?

as you guys can tell these things are wicked quiet...say by to loud straight pipes and drone
thanks!
I don't know from what the motor is! The mechanic who I got it from said it's for high idle (which would work really good on a 12valve)
yeah I'm worried bout the heat, I wanna relocate further away from the turbine housing eventually when we are done harvesting corn.

Sometimes I miss the loud sound the old turbo made.
But I had lots of drone and noise in the cab since I installed the dual exhaust.
Now w th vgt it's really nice and quiete in the cab! I love that! Also idle at the exhaust is really quiete

Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 AM   #29
sooter

Name: sooter
Member`s Gallery
i had mine wound up like yours which mostly whistled until it opened around 20psi. i just loosened it up and got back that straight pipe sound at low rpm, but it's as quiet as a 4" mufflered exhaust (like magnaflow quiet). still spools quick, but not as quick. ..and NO DRONE!

now there's no issue with the exhaust brake and the stock valve springs? i wondered if i would have an issue on stock valve springs...i don't know if the 6.7s have heavier duty valve springs or not??

Arguing with a CF member is like arguing with a dining room table

Old 11-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #30
notomas

Name: notomas
Title: black and white smoke
Member`s Gallery
I am collecting everything to install mine. I was also wondering about the stock exhaust springs on my 97. Should I change mine out for heavier springs or will the stockers hold up?
1997 Dodge 2500 4x4, excab , K&N intake, 4" exhaust, egt,boost and tranny temp on the pillar, 5 star viskus torque converter, converter lock up, stage lll rebuild, #100 plate, starwheel forward and Smoke screw adjusted for power, 3gsk, silencer ring mia.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:49 PM   #31
12valve

Member`s Gallery
Don't know what do the exhaust brake companies suggest for the 24v trucks? I know 12vs need some 60lb exh valve springs as far as I know..

I did some milage calculations.. The first tank with this turbo I only got 14 mpg but that was really beating on it and making many 0-100 mph runs and some running at top speed...

Next tank I averaged 18 mpg. I never went above lvl 1 on the adrenaline and cruised with rpms under 2000 driving around 60 mph most of the time combined field and highway driving.
I was really expecting 20 mpg I'm gonna find out how it does with a wider open collar setting.. On th turbo..

Old 11-14-2009, 11:10 PM   #32
VMacKenzie

Name: VMacKenzie
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
24-valves came with heavier valve springs to be "E-Brake ready."

Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
BlackSkyRacing

Name: BlackSkyRacing
Title: Living Under a Rock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12valve View Post
Thanks!
Here's a video
BTW that video is f'ing awesome! I love the way the EB sounds... I think I am going to steal your idea from you in a way. At least with the direction the 451 moves I can actually mount the EB motor over the compressor housing and pull it in to actuate the EB then push it out to instantly adjust initial housing size for different cruising situations

08 QCSB 4x4 stock (ish) - 68RFE parts test pig

49 Dodge 2.6 pulling project "Gold Digger"

Old 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #34
12valve

Member`s Gallery
Hey thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
BTW that video is f'ing awesome! I love the way the EB sounds... I think I am going to steal your idea from you in a way. At least with the direction the 451 moves I can actually mount the EB motor over the compressor housing and pull it in to actuate the EB then push it out to instantly adjust initial housing size for different cruising situations
Thats what i need to figure out how to... i like the quiete sound of the turbo being closed down, but you just dont need that much boost cruising around, and like its been said before MPG shold be better with less restriction.... im finding out this tank of fuel how slightly bigger does...

Last edited by 12valve; 11-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
notomas

Name: notomas
Title: black and white smoke
Member`s Gallery
Question OWWW, my head, I cant stop thinking about it

I was just wondering if the motor could be used with these still, using a pressure switch to activate it, and the brake signal to retard it or brake. Is there a stop switch in the motor, or does it just run till it cant push the lever anymore. Does the motor return to a neutral position, or was that all controlled by the computer. If the motor could be used, wouldn't that stop the barking. Just some of my random thoughts running through my head. Oh and what does the computer measure to decide when to activate the turbo, manifold pressure, rpm's, Just currious how this thing was designed to work.
1997 Dodge 2500 4x4, excab , K&N intake, 4" exhaust, egt,boost and tranny temp on the pillar, 5 star viskus torque converter, converter lock up, stage lll rebuild, #100 plate, starwheel forward and Smoke screw adjusted for power, 3gsk, silencer ring mia.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM   #36
Brayden

Name: Brayden
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdt View Post
Talked to fleece today and they told me that they will have a controller out in three weeks and it should be around six hundred. He said that you will have full adjust-ability and an exhaust brake function

as to your exhaust brake, I would get a solenoid off of an existing brake with one of their controllers and you should be set some of them use air pressure and you could use boost pressure to activate it with a solenoid and it would work until boost was gone?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsyhvw_6Do

And here it is

The pricing will be cheaper than posted.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #37
Brayden

Name: Brayden
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL1L1mRETVE

Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 AM   #38
explosives87

Name: explosives87
Title: powder monkey
Member`s Gallery
great video.

Quote of the Day:

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading."

Old 11-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #39
wildwood

Name: wildwood
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Why don't you use a toggle switch to torn it on and a push button starter switch. mount it to the break pedal next to the stop switch so when you push on the breaks it turns the e break on, and if you have a stick put one on the clutch pedal also so when you push it in it shuts off the e break.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:19 PM   #40
diesel_smoke

Name: diesel_smoke
Member`s Gallery
What size is the exhaust outlet on the turbo without the elbow? 4"vband?

Closed Thread