Fuel Filter Gripe....

wideopen

Slum Lord
Who in the world at Isuzu or GM decided that the way they do the Fuel Filter is the " Way to do it" ???

I changed mine last night and came to the conclution...that it Sucks..

Does anyone make a relocation unit for this??

I will usually unscrew mine, set it on the frame rail, and then slide it out the fender liner. Maybe install a Pre-OE unit and extend your intervals a little. This is mine, a little over kill but gets the job done. First one will be 10 microns and the second 2 microns. The filter heads are about $15, 10mic filters $6-7, and the 2mic are about $9 all from fleetfilter.com. Most will just do one 2mic and call it good. $30 for OE:doh: .

Attachments

• P1010277 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    P1010277 (Medium) (Small).JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
The last person to put it one must have used a impact gun to put it on...LOL It's just a pain to get to..

Turbo Did you get that Unit from Fleetguard??

Ah, get yourself a swivel-filter wrench, Phil...That, or a nylon strap wrench (this is what I use, but they are a bit cumbersome)
What some do is to remove the inner fender liner, but if you do this, you'll want to have some of the replacement retainers as you will sooner or later break a few of them.

Yeah I ended up removing th inner Fender ..I was just looking for a set up like Turbotug has I like the looks of that.

I got them here. I already had the filters so I used the Cat ones, but ordered some Wix too. A couple 1/2" barb fittings, a few feet of hose, and some clamps is all you will need for a complete set up. I have a Supertank and liftpumps plumbed in there too so thats why I have braided lines. One way to install it is to remove the line from the top of the tank at the sending unit and slide the hose over the "bump" and put a clamp on it. Run hose to filter head then bypass the factory flex line and run fuel out to the hard line along the frame rail, same trick over the bump and a clamp. I mounted it in the wheel well because the tank takes up the space along the frame, but some will mount it there too.

I was going to change mine yesterday, this is the first one since the dealership replaced one for free. I reached in to get a grip on the filter and notice indentions where they had used what appears to be enormous channel locks or something. After I noticed they had also broken the connector on the sensor I decided to cuss someone out in the morning.

That sucks

I just pull the inner fender out, usea tack puller for the pins, use a strap wrench for the filter, I have a sensor wrench to save the plastic sensor & have a SS screw for the bleeder.

Filter is hand tight, only. Get some extra pins and do it from the fender, it's much less of a pain. I think pins are .47 per.

Chop it open and see how it looks. :banghead:

Back