Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Alternative Diesel Motor Sports
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #481
tall boy

Name: tall boy
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
This forum is about Bringing The BEST Together or not? For me a load of fun to read and share things and get inspiration as well.

Leiffi can you be more respectful and constructive if you have something to say and yes it is hard to compare stuff in many ways and for a outsider it can be very hard to understand things in general from team building and planning and a load of discipline and management that’s takes place in the teams I support. There is a load more than only putting parts together and try to find that extra bit of power or getting this latest generation engine and parts.
I don’t know is this only goes for Holland but if you work together both workshop sales and transport companies also in many cases you will get things done and without this there is not a load of work for me to be done as the funding is only there to use older type of engines to a limited budged. OK maybe hard to explain but this formula is why we can maintain a load of truck pullers and Rally trucks in Holland in general.

Looks like I getting over to the US and Canada soon and looking forward to do some truck pullers.

Very bad luck this weekend. MVJ2 had the main electrical lift pump relay broken and is came of his mounting and created a short circuit and even after we end our last pulling attempt we did find out that there is some more damage done to the electrics of the pump system.

Click the image to open in full size.

Also the New torpedo MVJ3 did not go well as we broken the gearbox so we have to wait a week more to know what this Semi Truck can pull.

To make my weekend a bit better we won again with the NY Titan. Not the ideal track for this Semi Truck as it was a sand track and being heavy on the front can be hard to compensate with a load of power on the back as it will dig in very easy.
The discussion before the last pull was a funny one as we all stand there shift up in gear having no idea of the outcome other than the engine can handle this easy but with a massive point lead you must be able to gamble a bit maybe making the difference of getting 3 place or first in the pull off.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #482
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
The result of the last pull of the new Torpedo Scania truck. Broken outgoing shaft.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #484
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
Leiffi can you be more respectful and constructive if you have something to say
Maybe, maybe not.

I think it was you who said earlier that those prostock chargers cant flow as much as they claim to have horsepower ? I know you dont want to upset potential customers by telling the truth. But I believe this sport could take big leaps forward if people were living in real life. But thats just my opinion, I know nothing and I'm not in the business.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:24 AM   #485
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
But thats just my opinion, I know nothing and I'm not in the business.
That is the first thing you have said I can agree with.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #486
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiffi View Post
Maybe, maybe not.

I think it was you who said earlier that those prostock chargers cant flow as much as they claim to have horsepower ? I know you dont want to upset potential customers by telling the truth. But I believe this sport could take big leaps forward if people were living in real life. But thats just my opinion, I know nothing and I'm not in the business.
Well yes I still have my dough about some Hp numbers in relation to the turbo set-up but you have to stay open on reconsidering things as things move on as well.
A good running project is more than a engine alone and most of the time I’m frustrated as not getting the engine power I wanted bases on calculation form customers running a somewhat alike engine set-up. Surprise surprise when we run the dam thing in real live environment it’s a lot faster or stronger than the somewhat alike engine set-up your where getting the numbers from and later to find out digging into numbers or dyno sheets you have been mislead so real fun wasting my time on things. OK not so bad as you will know better next time. So what do you ask your customers the next time? Do you have info to back things up? Not that easy as emotions also play an important role sometimes………………. but must be part of discussion. It’s just a simple fact we all happen to like numbers? But in the end winning on the track is more important even when your numbers are down?

Talking about numbers. Looks like engine performance was down due to a worn fuel lift pump on our Scania V8 but the numbers in the data logs did not tell a thing. I love diesel as AFR remains the same along with many other data but efficiency goes down if you drop injection pressure and the driver was complaining I’m missing something. Need more sensors to monitor things. .
Old 07-19-2015, 06:11 AM   #487
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday we went to Merksplas Belgium for a pulling event.

With the MVJ2 we did get 4 place and still stuck between gears as we do not have to power to shift up but lag the speed to get to the pulloff. So all hope is on the new engine to make more power. End of this week the connrods and pistons should be ready and next up is to modify the cylinder heads so we are well on our way with things.

The new torpedo truck MVJ3 is interesting as we hope to get some data on the exhaust manifolds with single runners up to the turbine flange. It build more and faster boost as the 2 in one manifold we use on the MVJ2 but dos it increscent volumetric efficiency on the engine? We don’t know as in the final run we where one gear to low to get some load on the engine. Seems to be one gear difference in ratio between the two semi trucks but we are flat out on things not having the time to investigate things upfront so we use the log data to find out as with the new truck we run outside the competition any way..

Old 07-19-2015, 10:59 AM   #488
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
How much weight on the sled?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:51 AM   #489
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
How much weight on the sled?
The sled it self is 16 Ton and 4 x ballast of 1,5 Ton makes 22 Ton in total.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #490
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tall boy View Post
The sled it self is 16 Ton and 4 x ballast of 1,5 Ton makes 22 Ton in total.
That's why it looks so easy! I pull that 3 miles on a bicycle every morning for my cardio.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #491
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmikeismad View Post
That's why it looks so easy! I pull that 3 miles on a bicycle every morning for my cardio.
Point taken. . This is the only sled that can handle these semi trucks easy while not breaking down. On a conventional sled with a moving weight there is always the change that the drive train or chain will break while the sled is fully loaded.
As we have a RPM limit we can not ecelearte like a unlimit class so peed is not that great but pulling power is a lot more with 8,5 or 9,5ton in wieght so yes for some sled we pose a big chalance trying to break by putting a lot of knives in to the ground making a very bumpy ride as a result.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:24 PM   #492
madmikeismad

Member`s Gallery
Oh, I was just making a stupid joke lol.

What do the heavier sleds weigh here in the states? I've never thought to ask before.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:25 AM   #493
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Yesterday is was dyno day for the Daf/Paccar MX engine. The motivation to do this test is that the MX Euro 5 engine in a Rally Truck configuration dos produce more smoke than wanted in relation to engine performance. As a base setting I used one from a Volvo D13 race engine as the fuel Delphi systems are related between the engines.

The Daf/Paccar engine in this semi is modified to make and handle more power for off road rally use but the turbocharger is still the OE version so compared to the race engine we have over 15 PSI less boost so less power but VE (volumetric efficiency) or fuel in relation to boost pressure is not far off between the two engines.

Was I able to make more power? Yes I think so but the data to compare is inconsistent as not done on the same gear as the test done with the modified OE ECU and the dyno breaking down on me as a coupling in the drive shaft to the dyno break nearly went up in flames overheating as I was wondering why I could not get past a Kilo Watt marker on the rollers so bad luck and frustrated but I know we can use the setting from the race engine and copy this over to the Daf rally engine and maybe improve things but there will be the next step soon as we going to use the Euro 6 turbo set-up on a Euro 5 engine hoping to get better mid and hi end performance but controlling the external TiAl wastegate with a OE ECU will be a challenge as we run this turbo close to the max with our own aftermarket ECU system having a load of correction things in place to compensate for ambient pressure compressor/EGT temp and so on?

For those who know the Scania Chimera and have facebook. https://www.facebook.com/ruudvisserengineering?ref=hl
80 meter time on the track is key to win a race but even with only 1100Hp from our race truck it keeps spinning almost to the end while changing gear.
Old 07-27-2015, 09:52 PM   #494
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
No idea what the sleds weigh, but they can stop just about anything!
From Case 600hp quad tracks, D8 bulldozers, pro stock unlimited semis, you name it.
But I don't have a clue what they weigh haha
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56
Old 08-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #495
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Today we had the change to test things on the track.

On the new Semi Truck we where able to test the balance and gear settings to get a feeling how it behaves with the still standard V8 engine only having low pressure nozzle fitted to the injectors and 2x S400SX turbochargers on them.

On the MVJ 2 things are not going very well. The old exhaust manifold are on their end leaking up to a point boost drops and the engine drops off RPM.
Today we tested a all in one manifold and that did not work as it can handle a load of volume but dos not carry the exhaust gas energy to the turbine losing over 0,3Bar of boost to easy.
New way to go is build a manifold with single running all the way up to the turbine flange same as on spaghetti used on petrol engines. we use this kind of manifold on the new semi and makes over 0,3Bar more boost even and for what it looks like increases the VE as well as it looks like it drops of boost @ a lower RPM compared to the data we have when we used this engine in 2012 with HX60 turbo and the S400SX are even bigger in size.

Further more we are looking into building a big bore 18,5L V8 engine so 2.6L more than the new engine 16,4L we build @ this moment and looks like we going for all billed steel parts.

Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 AM   #496
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Montfoort 7 august.

Volvo Ny Titan strong as ever. Still nothing comes close to this Hobby Sport Semi puller.
I think they are already champion for this year as they have lead of over 70 points with still one pulling event to go and the max points for first place will be 50 points.

De Manne van Janne 3. The new Semi Truck. Bit short of power but this will chance soon when the new build 16.4L generation 3 engine will be ready and plan is to swap the engine from the NR 2 truck to the NR 3 truck.

De Manne van Janne 2. Seems like we got the engine power back making a easy qualification for the Pull Off but bad luck again when the tyre was spinning in the rim this time. 4e place.

I hope this is something the US and Canada people like. An all American Peterbilt 379 with a
Detroit Diesel DDC8V engine or better known as a 16L 2000 series MTU also used in a wide variety of industrial aplication and a close relative to the Mercedes OM502 engine.
Fuel system on this engine is electronic activated and runs on one of our diesel ECU systems.
Transmission is a Allison AT. For more info http://www.murphys-law.eu/

The fuel transfer pump on the engine broke down so they made this run with a pneumatic fuel pump having way to low fuel pressure to make some decent power.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #497
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Is it because of it being related to the Mercedes that it can be used, rules dictate that out engines must be used in an over the road truck with more than 500 units produced. Only grey area is the use of the QSK19 block in place of the older K series block.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:39 AM   #498
tall boy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Is it because of it being related to the Mercedes that it can be used, rules dictate that out engines must be used in an over the road truck with more than 500 units produced. Only grey area is the use of the QSK19 block in place of the older K series block.
This is what I found on the internet.

2000: By 2000, Detroit Diesel Corporation was a dynamic and well-respected company within both the trucking industry and the investment community.

In October 2000, DaimlerChrysler completed a tender offer for all outstanding shares of Detroit Diesel Corporation, including the 48.6% interest owned by Penske Corporation.

2000: Off-highway engines combined with MTU Friedrichshafen and is now known as MTU America

So it looks like it’s links to DaimlerChrysler and as there where only 400 build with the Detroit Diesel DDC8V it looks like a interim solution.

In Europe the rules state that only one European road going truck must be build in order to use it for truck pulling. Cummins K or QSK 19 is out of the question as its over 18,5L. To bad as I like these engines and worked on them for a long time.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #499
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Don't see why there is a displacement limit that is under what was available in a production truck.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #500
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Don't see why there is a displacement limit that is under what was available in a production truck.
Same limit was used during early years of european truck racing, MB/MAN didn't want to be beaten by big Cummins.