OPIE Bypass Kit installed with PICS

luvinacummins

For the first part of this install I had the top end of my motor torn apart removing injectors, installing new ones, retorquing head studs (again:bang) and lashing the valves...

THis is honestly a 30 minute install.. It is very easy...

sorry for the dirty parts in the pics but my hands were covered in oil.. LOL...

First task is to remove the water jacket between number 5 and six..

I used a 3/8 Extension and ratchet..

Truck001.jpg

Then Install the JIC fitting from the kit..

Truck002.jpg

then attach the supplied 90 degreed elbow.. Sorry didn't get a pic of that!!:bang

Then remove the two front studs holding the exhaust manifold

Truck003.jpg

Then attach the supplied mounting bracket with bypass assembly.. You will have to mount the plate first then attach the bypass assembly.. I painted my plate.. (blue was the only damn color i had...)

Truck004.jpg

Truck010.jpg

Now install the rear bypass hose.. I measured mine and it was 13" so I precut the hose... It was cold in the shop so I warmed the hose up with the heater and then oiled the ends a lil to help it slide on.. It still didn't work... I couldn't get the rear one on all the way but lucking the next day after driving the truck for 1/2 a day i opened the hood and the hose was warm as heck and i twisted it twice and it seated all the way!!!

Truck005.jpg

THen I cut the factor radiator hose.. I took out about 1" of hosing to fit the supplied junction

Truck007.jpg

THen with the supplied clamps tighten the factory radiator hose the the spliced in T...

Then install the supplied 90 degree elbow...

I then used the rest of the hose supplied in the kit to run it from the bypass assembly to the radiator pipe.. I have my winter front installed and the moment so I just ran it up over the cover and used the velcro straps to hold it down.. You can cut the hose to any desired length you choose but I am installing dual cp3's next week so i made sure i had enough left over for that..

Truck006.jpg

Truck011.jpg

Truck009.jpg

Truck008.jpg

Sweet write up!!!

First things first for me though...Gotta get all my parts in and get ready for the install..

Thanks for the pm heads up!!

I just got done reading your write up on CF, awsome again :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Kevin, I think Your in the same boat As me. You turn the timing up and coolant sprays all over the place. I have a blown head gasket. You might want to look into that. I talked with Opie in detail about it and I came to the conclusion that the HG is smoked

Thanks for the pics, just what i was looking for.
What does that little thing, you mounted on the manifold/blue plate do?
and how does i work?

Looks good, I bet it is cheaper than another HG and labor. I might have to look into it, you got a link by any chance?

The Cummins kit seems to work well too. It's only around $125 in parts all said and done if you add a nice 1/4 turn ball valve and formed heater hose.

Is this something that the CR only benefit from? I have an 02 with the motor out at the moment and was wondering if it would be something I could use?

As stated earlier on the other thread the cummins kit mention above is the wrong answer in my book for a couple reasons.

The 02 would benefit from cooler towing temps and yes some Vp trucks have blown freeze plugs as well.

I blew rear plug a long time ago!

You guys might want to look and see what the gasser guys were doing on like 2000, they actually tapped the back of there cyl heads to get that hot water up to the front, when they did they stopped toasting the back cylinders.

Some may not like the price but I like the approach.

Jim

Back