Battery Tech Tips

Nathan@XSPower

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Here are some helpful tips on the charging and maintenance of our batteries, and most will hold true with the other AGM batteries out there.

It is very important that proper charging techniques be used when charging AGM batteries. AGM batteries
are designed for use with AGM battery chargers with a MAXIMUM output voltage of 2.4 volts per cell (14.4v
for 12v batteries and 19.2v for 16v batteries). AT NO TIME during charging should the battery be subjected
to more than 2.4 volts per cell. Voltages above this will cause the battery to “gas” and once the oxygen is
vented it cannot be restored.

Under-charging AGM batteries is equally damaging to the life of the battery. Take special care to ensure
that the battery is properly charged before the initial use by verifying the open circuit voltage is above 2.1
volts per cell (12.6 for 12v batteries and 16.8 for 16v batteries). Improper charging can cause damage that
is permanent.

Not really a tech tip, but fyi.

Lead has jumped in price twice here recently and I would be looking for battery prices to start to increase in the near future. I am not sure what the other companies do, but we give a notice 30 days before price increases take effect. I am sure the other companies prob do about the same, so be on the look out if you are in the market for batteries soon.

Back