Where to find Dana 70HD front 4x4 axle for Topkick?

02Dmax

As the title states I'm trying to find a front steer axle like what the 4x4 Topkicks and Kodiaks came with. I've found very little info on them and none on where to get one. I have a topkick I want to convert it to 4x4 and want to keep it fairly factory so I'm trying to stay away from the rockwells which would require alot of lift, have stupid low gearing, and odd-ball bolt patterns.

From what I can find the axle is a Dana 70hd but that's about all. The GM dealer won't price me one without a VIN number and I haven't been able to sneak into the utility companies lot to get one off one of their trucks, lol. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Bobus, hadn't even considered doing that.

Charger - It's 25,900 GVW, hydraulic brakes, 19.5 wheels/tires

a dana 70 is way undersized for your truck, they used them on obs superduties (f450) it would snap under the weight, and the braking ability would be next to nil

Last edited:
On the front? We supply them oem in the 5500 series, and any dealer that doesnt want to sell a 4K part doesnt need your business. The divorced passenger drop NV273 case will be the hard part to get. I think they were on back order.

from what i have seen most of the five tons use a marmon herrington front axle or rockwell, i am assuming his topkick is a 6500 series or larger

I'm pretty sure 6500 and up does not have a 4x4 option. Unless I was taken to an up fitter for the swap, even the the MH and Rock parts cannot be bought though us.

Ive seen the 70 in plent of 26000 ish trucks.

I checked with Marmon Herrington first because I know that's kind of their specialty, but their smallest axle is a bunch of overkill for my truck and the price was overkill too. My truck is a 6500 but it's still the "under cdl" version with the little 19.5 wheels and tires, and hydraulic brakes.

The Dana 70 sounds too small but the 70hd looks a lot different than a plain 70 from what I've found.

My dealer is westfall gmc and yes, they pretty much suck unless you're a fleet owner but I rarely use them anyhow.

I've got the divorced t-case and drivelines, just need the key component to complete the parts list. I run this truck always 6 and sometimes 7 days a week so I want everything I need before I start the upfit. I can't afford to be down.

We recently did headgasket on a truck with a Dana 70HD it is a big front axle.
a6f98117-f111-3e31.jpg

Back