Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Oil Cooler Failure?

My buddy's truck started knocking really bad on the way home from a sled trip, luckily we were only ~50miles from home. Tons of white, unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust.
We checked fluid and it looked normal (level, color, not milky), started it back up at idle and it sounded and felt awful. It was dumping fuel out the exhaust still.

2013, 130,000 miles, deleted, tuned, otherwise stock. Meticulously maintained.

He bought the extended warranty so he had it towed to the dealership. I thought it felt like an injector tip let go or maybe the needle got stuck in the full open position?
The dealership said it's an oil cooler, but I've never heard of one going, and I feel like we would have seen the oil all milky. That would also mean the knock would have been from a rob bearing which would need that oil milky for a little while. They said it needs a while rebuild and quoted it at $30k if FCA doesn't warranty it (because of it being deleted)...

Anyways, looking for thoughts on it. Is the oil cooler a common failure for 6.7's? Are the injector tips? or maybe a cracked piston?

And we might be looking for a used 6.7L longblock if anyone has one lying around.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
jimbo486

Name: jimbo486
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I have a hard time buying that it's the oil cooler. But, if they wanna take a stab at it and the warranty covers it, let 'em.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
$30K....

Not an oil cooler failure, that would put oil in the radiator. That's a fuel problem

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #4
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like the dealership is lost in space, as usual.
Don't count on them doing the install, because it's deleted, in fact they may try to hang him with all new DPF components to do the job.

It sounds likely that it locked a pintle, or blew the tip off an injector and burned the cylinder/piston to me.
If he has to pay, demand the core back, it'll tell the whole story.

I have several 13+ longblocks, that I could be convinced to sell, that need externals from light fire damage.
Which he will have.

Mark.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo486 View Post
I have a hard time buying that it's the oil cooler. But, if they wanna take a stab at it and the warranty covers it, let 'em.
Yeah, me too. And they called him and said it isn't going to be covered because it's deleted. To me, if they're claiming it's the oil cooler, that shouldn't really see any extra damage from a tune/delete!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
$30K....

Not an oil cooler failure, that would put oil in the radiator. That's a fuel problem

Chris
100% agree. I don't think they know what they're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Sounds like the dealership is lost in space, as usual.
Don't count on them doing the install, because it's deleted, in fact they may try to hang him with all new DPF components to do the job.

It sounds likely that it locked a pintle, or blew the tip off an injector and burned the cylinder/piston to me.
If he has to pay, demand the core back, it'll tell the whole story.

I have several 13+ longblocks, that I could be convinced to sell, that need externals from light fire damage.
Which he will have.

Mark.
Yeah, way out in space land.
I agree. I don't know enough about CR injectors, but it sure sounds like a tip blew off and probably ate everything in its path.
I'll be helping him tear the head off and we'll find the whole story. I'll post pictures assuming I remember to take them.

Mark, PM me a price and the next time you think you'll be somewhat close so we could meet and pick it up.

Be forewarned he's in denial right now and thinks he's going to be able to get by with replacing one injector... ha ha

Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #6
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
It's not out of the realm of possibility that it simply dropped a valve, killing the injector in the process.
I've had a couple 13+ in here that did just that, no rhyme or reason.

If it just locked the pintle open, you might get very lucky and it didn't do any damage, but 50 miles is like an eternity on a wounded engine.

Mark.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #7
Snedge

Name: Snedge
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
I'm laughing.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
f6jbob

Name: f6jbob
Member`s Gallery
When the head comes off take notice of piston protrusion on all cylinders. Very possible to shorten a rod.
2006 RCSB Dodge Goerend tranny and converter, Stainless Diesel twins and exhaust manifold, B&B intake manifold, T&C Diesel CP3, rail and dual prv, Hellman intercooler, Porting by Joker Fabrication, Isspro Performax gauges, AirDog fuel pump. Supported by Pure Diesel Power, Garmons Diesel Performance, Blacks Diesel Performance and above vendors.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It's not out of the realm of possibility that it simply dropped a valve, killing the injector in the process.

If it just locked the pintle open, you might get very lucky and it didn't do any damage, but 50 miles is like an eternity on a wounded engine.

Mark.
Yeah, we had that happen on an 03 before. Cut the piston up like a hot knife to butter, beat the head up a bit, and after we got the block clean, realized it had a nice crack down it that the naked eye couldn't see...
What's the cause for that typically? Excessive heat? Bad part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedge View Post
I'm laughing.
Read the update and I think you'll laugh harder ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6jbob View Post
When the head comes off take notice of piston protrusion on all cylinders. Very possible to shorten a rod.
I definitely wouldn't have thought of that. Good call!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
So my buddy picked up the truck after work. Turns out the dealer decided to "try and start the truck up after it'd been sitting for a while."
Click the image to open in full size.

Here's what they claimed:
- They had the injectors out and tested them and that wasn't the case (but the valve cover bolts are still dirty like no wrench has ever touched them).
- The engine was junk when it rolled in, so putting a hole in the block doesn't really matter.

My thoughts are, it was an injector, it filled a cylinder with fuel, they tried cranking on it, bent and then broke a rod, and then sent it through the wall.

Oh, and that oil sure doesn't look milky to me! When my buddy questioned that, the 'diesel tech' told him, "Diesel oil is different, it mixes well with coolant."

If nothing else, I feel like he's got some good ammo to talk to FCA about it and maybe they'll take care of him.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #11
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Deleted truck, dream on. Ain't happening

Old 01-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #12
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
Yeah he's gonna get hosed. And that "diesel tech" sounds like he's really got it going on.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 01-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #13
BRE

Name: BRE
Member`s Gallery
Oh he’s completely phucked now... should have never even walked into the dealer with it. If he wanted their warranty, he shouldn’t have deleted it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Originally Posted by jfaulkner View Post
There really is nothing better than OEM. That goes for anything from turbos to boobs.
RIP Dex KCCO

Old 01-16-2018, 08:07 PM   #14
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Mark.
Are the valves friction welded? I assume they are.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 PM   #15
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I will say, he's got a way with words or something. He previously got his truck warrantied while it was deleted. They asked him about the delete and he told them it left him stranded on a trip so he had it removed and they still replaced his CP3. That was only ~20,000 miles ago or so. Dealer told him 'no', so he wrote to FCA. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Mark, you can still send me a PM on a longblock.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #16
smokinVE

Name: smokinVE
Title: $$+VE=NO HP
Member`s Gallery
At a minimum he can get what he paid for his extended warranty back from said company.

I would NOT take the truck off the dealerships property until they come up with a solution to what they've done, don't sign any papers wait for a decision from the general manager/service manager and the FCA.

Read laws in your state about extended warranty. Here we have a "previous condition" clause. If it was deleted when he bought the extended warranty they would have to honor it. (Probably varies by state?). Only thing they could hang him on is if there is a box that was checked that said something like "no modifications" or something of that nature. AND that would only apply if he filled out the paper work, if a dealer did then it's on them.

They attempted to mess with an engine that was already "declined" by extended warranty and I assume your buddy approved no further diagnosis. They shouldn't have been trying to mess with it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I don't think they let hair sniffer twit much. Or the little gay guy. Only the Indian does.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:15 PM   #17
Mark Nixon

Member`s Gallery
Regardless whether he deleted it or not, I'm under the impression that it didn't have a hole in the block when it arrived at the dealer and now it does.

It's also not a stretch to say or think that the damage that was done, while in their possession, was intentional.

I'm still not convinced that's an oil cooler problem, CorneliusRox.

Mark.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 AM   #18
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
I was busy last night with my own stuff, so I'll have to talk with him this morning and see what he did. I'm with you guys, I wouldn't touch it, and I'd get some sort of investigator out there.
If nothing else, I feel like they owe him a working short block. But that's assuming everything else was messed up and we don't know that for sure yet.
I can't wait to get the head off of this thing. I am sure I'll be able to tell if a valve or injector tip had been bouncing around for a long time, or if it was just a hydro-lock issue.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #19
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
What is FCA?

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 01-17-2018, 09:24 AM   #20
CorneliusRox