Creative broken axle removal

Pudge

Broke both rear axles in my D80 at the last hook, one broke off shear just inside of the end of the tube before it expands into a larger diameter. So it's nearly flush all the way around. Kicker is we had to beat it in so it won't just slide out and there's no way to grab the outside. The other side has approx 16" remaining and is inside the tube. It twisted this shaft off and the outside had to be pryed out because it was bent. Spool in the center so can't push it out from there. Cant reach the end to weld a rod to it. Anyone ever have a brilliant idea for getting a broken section out?

Have tried driving a tube over the broken section and pulling it out, no go.

Tried a lasso trick, sliding a cable in and around the stump to pull it out, broke the cable several times and didn't move it.

We're getting close to cutting the whole axle out, any help would be appreciated

Try drilling an tapping for a large bolt to help pry/pull on while performing other methods of getting out.

Man that is unfortunate. I've had to fish them out with magnets or beat them out from one side but have never had both axles break off in there at once. Unless you can get something in there far enough to drill and tap it, I'd say make a decision on what is more valuable to you... the spool or the housing, then grab the cuttin torch and hammer down

Isn't truck pulling fun? LOL

Use a stick welder and weld the welding rod to the end of the shaft. Might get the easy one out. Then you can push the other a bit.

Try heating a pipe cherry red, beat it onto an axle stub, then quench it with ice water?

Mark.

drill and tap. the center will be easier to drill then the hardened outter area. Tap to fit a slide hammer end.

Cut around where the 80 housing meets the frame, slide out housing
Roll SQHD or 20145 housing under truck, weld into place
Have fun the rest of the summer not breaking the rearend
If rules don't allow big rearends, talk sense into rule makers or go somewhere else else to pull
Or continue to feed parts into 80 rearend

That's going to be hard to ground unless you clamp to the ring gear, anywhere else will sent the electric current threw the carrier bearings

You can use a short piece of pipe as the ground. Put the electrode down through the middle.

It sounds skectchy I know, but it does work...

You can use a short piece of pipe as the ground. Put the electrode down through the middle.

It sounds skectchy I know, but it does work...

What I'm saying is if you ground to the frame or axle housing, the electrical current of the weird will travel through the carrier bearings causing more issues

Well, decisions were made.
And it's still stuck in the spool. The whole thing has to come out now. If someone would like to come forward as a driveline sponsor for the year I would sure appreciate it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1464372328513.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464372328513.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1464372373639.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1464372373639.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 0
Old thread but if would help anyone else. If you take a piece of 1/2" rod and bend the end you can weld it to the axle with a stick welder.

1) heat end of axle the best you can.
2) holding 1/2" rod with ground. Weld it to shaft (extra hot)
3) leave to naturally cool (quinching could make it brittle and the welds would rip off).
4) weld a tab to 1/2" rod, so you can hit it with a mini sledge.
5) pray that works.
6) drive out other axle with long 1" rod.

Back