Fummins Highboy Stub Shaft and a Random Off Topic Question...

michael.kitko

So, I am almost done with my transmission rebuild in my project. I still have a separator plate that needs to be ordered, but anyways, I am running into my next hurdle.

So, as you know I am shoving a Cummins into a 77 F-250. This is one of the High-Boys, so it has a divorced transfer case in it. I have always intended on keeping the divorced transfer case, but somehow now it has turned into a doubler, or will be soon. As you can guess, they are about 8 inches longer when the 203 and 205 are married to each other, than just a 203. The transmission and engine are already pushing my drivetrain back, in the form of a shortened stub shaft, or so I thought. So my question, the back of the 47RH has a slip yoke 1410. Do you guys think that being used as the slip joint will have enough play that I can delete the slip joint from the stub shaft and move the drivetrain forward a bit?

One other question, this one is way off topic from the above and more long term. I have the pieces left over from a 203, specifically the chain case section and differential. I was wondering if any of you have seen that case turned a little on it's end, adapter plates made, some shafting machined, to make it into a front tandem axle drive box? I know that is similar to what they did on the T-Rex, but I was hoping someone had some more info than just me winging it or better ideas than that.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

For your first question, I don't have experience with slip joint needed on the transfer case input. Is the 47RH a 2wd version with the 5-6" long slip yoke output?

I am also doing a highboy swap and after pushing the engine back, I just abandoned the idea of the divorced transfer case and run a married setup. The 241 is stronger than the 205 anyways.

The divorce 205 does come in handy to clock it and lower the frt driveshaft angle. Could lower the rear shaft angle also if you wanted to.

The divorce 205 does come in handy to clock it and lower the frt driveshaft angle. Could lower the rear shaft angle also if you wanted to.

You can clock a married but really don't need to. The rear driveshaft angle is gonna be the killer. How would you lower the rear angle with the divorced?

I built a mud bog truck and mounted the floater 205 dead center, same shaft for the front and rear. I lowered the t case in relation to the trans and had a slight angle in the stub shaft. It lowered the rear shaft angle by about 4", worked perfect and never a u joint problem, had a stout 509ci big block.

Back