Any idea how much painting a tailgate will cost

cerickson

fullpull108
I am in need of a tailgate for the wife's 06. Haven't found one yet, but when I do. How much does it usually cost to just do the tailgate to match the truck? Figured there might be some body shop guys on here that will be able to get me an estimate to get me an idea. Thanks in advance.

I would charge you 250. But, depending on color it could need blended to match. Blacks, whites usually you can paint and have no issues. If your not extremely picky though and the painter is good with tinting colors, you may get by with it close as possible.

Depending what part of SW MO you're in I know a pretty good guy around the cassville area.

Im in springfield. I would figure the shops would want to do like a cash price. Under the table sort of thing since they aren't dealing with the insurance.

Have you thought about trying some of duplicolors factory paint match? I believe that's what it is. I've see. Finders done and turns out really good.

If you take all the hardware out and just take the shell to the shop you will probably get the best price. Take the truck you are having it installed on as well so they can check the color. Frequently the paint manufactures have variances for each color, depending on the shop they will either shoot it with a Spectrometer or check against paint chips.

Ebay tailgates are not nearly as sturdy as factory. They will buckle if you put something heavy on them.

Ebay tailgates are not nearly as sturdy as factory. They will buckle if you put something heavy on them.

Thanks for that info. I appreciate it. With some of the prices the salvage yards are asking for a tailgate. Thats the reason i was pondering on them.

You might be able to find a used factory tailgate on ebay. I bought a hood for my Tahoe from ebay years ago... It was in good shape.

Just be happy you don't have inferno red. The color match book on that is like 30 pages. Going to run me 500$ to spray my new gate. Don't help that I'm picky .

I can get brand new OEM quality shells for about 220 and can do a scuff and spray on solid colors with high quality clear for about 250.
That is what I was planning on doing with our 05 dually but the bed is starting to rot out under the LineX so we are just going to put a flatbed on it.

I can get brand new OEM quality shells for about 220 and can do a scuff and spray on solid colors with high quality clear for about 250.
That is what I was planning on doing with our 05 dually but the bed is starting to rot out under the LineX so we are just going to put a flatbed on it.

Can you get oem 2nd gen long bedsides?

Back