Single turbo 6.4

hey i need to call you can you pm me your number

to talk about putting the single charger on a 2.6 truck in PA:st:

Why would you call that a downgrade in performance? 585 with just a programmer turbo and exhaust,, thats pretty darn good, plus he has much better cooler air going into his engine now

Back pressure is way down compared to the stock setup.

It's getting some work done now that'll really open up alot of options for him in the single charger setup

Back pressure is way down compared to the stock setup.

But what does that matter if you can't spool it up without extreme measures and lots of smoke from a dirty tune?
Nitrous is about the only thing that would drastically improve it, short of getting a GT30 turbo in there for a HP compound and usable low-end.

Last edited:
But what does that matter if you can't spool it up without extreme measures and lots of smoke from a dirty tune?
Nitrous is about the only thing that would drastically improve it, short of getting a GT30 turbo in there for a HP compound and usable low-end.

Remind me again where it says he couldn't lite the charger?

Backpressure from the 6.4 stock turbos is unreal. The backpressure has caused a lot of pistons to crack and other wonderful issues. I will go out on a limb and say that he probably thought that it would be cool to have the only single turbo 6.4 on the planet (at the time) and be the first to do so. Which is way bad ass and impressive for a guy to do a project like that in his garage. Either way, the tunes he was running up until recently were generic spartan tunes that are meant to run with the stock turbos. Now that it has beencustom tuned the charger spools very well and is super streetable. Not to mention it makes awesome power and, again, it is the only one like it.

Kinda funny how that works. The single turbo guys all want to upgrade to twins, and as soon as ford comes out with factory twins people want a single turbo.

LOL no kidding. Using the brakes to load up certain dynos is an old trick, the dyno he was using must not have had a eddy brake. Guys have been known to use their park brake to be able to get a higher reading on the dyno. It has not much to do with getting the turbo to spool

The stock twins on a 6.4 suck. Back pressure can get as high as 4 to 1. With this single turbo setup backpressure is now 1 to 1. The turbo spools great too, the reason he was using the brakes on the dyno at pfi was to load it being as it was an inertia dyno. The truck now runs 12.4 at 6000ft elevation weighing 8k pounds. So for such a down grade seems to work pretty decent.

Why did you make such a big downgrade in performance?
fwiw the truck went 12.40 @110 on this turbo and a little nitrous best part is i havw yet to open the wastegate on the truck... my new set up will be drastcaly different... stay tuned

Kinda funny how that works. The single turbo guys all want to upgrade to twins, and as soon as ford comes out with factory twins people want a single turbo.
I know its a little backwards, im moving away from the single, but it can be done, honestly a high tech 66 would have probably been an awesome turbo for the truck, but i have two car seats now and the truck has to be a little more drivable so im making some changes, not back to twins either

You can hate all you want but it worked pretty well, it needed some more tweaking for sure but on this truck it just wasnt a good combo, i do however plan on building a single cab truck with a big single, might be a couple years down the road but thats my latest plan.

Don't get me wrong, I understand theres good reason. I have a single right now instead of twins because of my urge to run nitrous as well. Looking back, I should've put the twins kit I had on. She'd smoke less in town. Oh well, live and learn.

Quotes

Turbo runs better than videos show on the street... As stated above inertia dynos suck for lighting a turbo. The resistance on an inertia dyno usually isnt half of what a truck weighs meaning it can not properly load the engine to get the charger to light.

Don't get me wrong, I understand theres good reason. I have a single right now instead of twins because of my urge to run nitrous as well. Looking back, I should've put the twins kit I had on. She'd smoke less in town. Oh well, live and learn.
Exactly live and learn a full daily driven street truck it probably wasnt the best choice to go to a single, being as heavy as the truck is it sure doesnt help, and when it was on 37s it was worse. i dont regret it one bit, im just trying to push some innovation on these trucks, like i said i would love to build a full drag truck soon.
Quotes

Thats fine, when i made this thread was when i was first running generic tuning, and 37 inch tires. Since i put it down to stock height, got some custom tunes for the truck it was actually pretty fun to drive again. Only reason im going to something different is im going to build a drag truck, and this heavy turd is going to be used what it was made for, to tow. I by no means consider it a down grade, i was able to maintain the same hp with the swap (guessing on a turbo that might work) back pressure was waaay down, and i think in long term it was better on the truck other than towing, which i probably could have stepped down to a 66mm turbo that would have flowed the same amount of air as the 68mm that was in it, and probably would have spool wayyy faster. I cant justify anyone doing the swap other than the full drag trucks that blow uppipes like crazy

Ill start a new thread when my truck is home with the new set up and let you know how that goes, but im not done with a single on a 6.4 i will tell you that much. My goal is to make a super street truck in the next couple years.

Back