Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:56 AM   #1
Runaway_Diesel

Name: Runaway_Diesel
Title: RIPNDIP
Member`s Gallery
PCS D200 Dash Logger Install

Have all of my sensors run for my PCS D200 Dash Logger and going to begin the wiring process for everything and am just looking for some real world help or tips to make it a smooth process. There is no computer or anything of that nature for factory sensors. It will all be wired by myself, truck is a p-pump 12 valve, I will be running the following analog sensors to the logger

Boost Pressure
Transmission Pressure
Oil Pressure
Water Temperature
Pre CAC Intake Air Temperature
Post CAC Intake Air Temperature

Also running 6 EGT probes to their box included with the D200 professional kit.

Also wanting to run my Tachometer into the logger, but PCS does not offer a harmonic balancer pickup. Is it possible to take an Autometer 5211 pickup, for their diesel monster tach, and wire it into the PCS?

Just looking for advice from anyone who is running one of these on a 12 valve that can give me some tips to make it go smooth; I'm really not a fan of wiring
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 01-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #2
Timbeaux

Name: Timbeaux
Title: Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Member`s Gallery
Surley they have a pickup that would work somehow?
NO LIMIT FAB, DIESEL SOUTH, DC CUSTOMS
Quote:
"I just love everything about racing. I wanna race every single day. Its nothing for me to be cutting grass and the neighbor hoss the gas on his mower, and there we are, lined up in the the middle of the street." - Stevie KillinTime Jackson
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves fight unvictorious."

Old 01-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #3
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbeaux View Post
Surley they have a pickup that would work somehow?
From what I have seen on their website, they only offer pickups for manual transmission input shafts and driveshafts. I went ahead and got 2 drive shaft pickups since they were included in the D200 professional kit, going to see if I can make a bracket off the front cover to make it work.

I figured I'd consult CompD for some insight on what had been done before and worked before trying something new.
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #4
DMDP

Name: DMDP
Title: Quitter
Member`s Gallery
We use this system on our pulling truck. Look up Dakota digital for a tach setup. They have boxes that you can pickup rpm signal from the balancer or flywheel teeth and converts the signal into a coil type signal that gassers use. Then the d200 works with that perfectly. Also gives you the ability to run whatever style analog tach instead of diesel only setups

On any fluctuating pressure sensor like fuel or drive, run an ISSPRO buffer before the sensor. As we have trashed multiple sensors from too much fluctuation. Also makes for a smoother graph on the logs

The EGT unit has 8 inputs. We use the extra 2 for our pre and post Intercooler temps instead of the air sensors they offer Makes more room for other analog inputs.

Pro Stock 3.6 "Crazy Ex"

Old 01-16-2020, 01:37 PM   #5
slownoma

Name: slownoma
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Or cant you use a normally open proximity sensor that picks up every 90deg off the balancer? Youll need tabs at 90deg positions on the balancer.

Old 01-17-2020, 08:18 AM   #6
Vincejax

Name: Vincejax
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway_Diesel View Post
From what I have seen on their website, they only offer pickups for manual transmission input shafts and driveshafts. I went ahead and got 2 drive shaft pickups since they were included in the D200 professional kit, going to see if I can make a bracket off the front cover to make it work.

I figured I'd consult CompD for some insight on what had been done before and worked before trying something new.
I run an rpm performance datalogger, but my engine rpm and drivshaft rpm are both just a magnet and pickup. If their shaft pickups are magnetic, can just drill/epoxy a magnet to harmonic balancer and mount the pickup sensor off a bracket to front cover bolts.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #7
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP View Post
We use this system on our pulling truck. Look up Dakota digital for a tach setup. They have boxes that you can pickup rpm signal from the balancer or flywheel teeth and converts the signal into a coil type signal that gassers use. Then the d200 works with that perfectly. Also gives you the ability to run whatever style analog tach instead of diesel only setups

On any fluctuating pressure sensor like fuel or drive, run an ISSPRO buffer before the sensor. As we have trashed multiple sensors from too much fluctuation. Also makes for a smoother graph on the logs

The EGT unit has 8 inputs. We use the extra 2 for our pre and post Intercooler temps instead of the air sensors they offer Makes more room for other analog inputs.
After looking up the Dakota Digital box, I will definitely be getting one of those to make this much simpler. That way I'll be able to just put whatever pickup I want off the balancer.

Also, how did you wire the Intake Air Temp sensors into the EGT unit? Since it is set up for those 2 prong yellow connectors.
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-17-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
I run an rpm performance datalogger, but my engine rpm and drivshaft rpm are both just a magnet and pickup. If their shaft pickups are magnetic, can just drill/epoxy a magnet to harmonic balancer and mount the pickup sensor off a bracket to front cover bolts.
Thats more than likely what I will end up doing. I went ahead and got the 2 driveshaft pickups that came with the collar that has magnets in them. I'm hoping I can use the magnets from their collars to drill and epoxy the balancer and driveshaft. If not, is there any certain type of magnet? I figure a stronger magnet would give better and more accurate readings.
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-17-2020, 09:15 AM   #9
kleann

Name: kleann
Title: VP44 pwr
Member`s Gallery
My brother has the pcs logger and has tach. Ill ask him what he used. I know he has a common rail fluidamper (has the tone wheel) that he picks the signal up from.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleann View Post
My brother has the pcs logger and has tach. Ill ask him what he used. I know he has a common rail fluidamper (has the tone wheel) that he picks the signal up from.
Is he running a common rail fluidamper on a 12 valve? I always wondered if that would bolt on directly or if you had to modify anything.
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
DMDP

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
After looking up the Dakota Digital box, I will definitely be getting one of those to make this much simpler. That way I'll be able to just put whatever pickup I want off the balancer.

Also, how did you wire the Intake Air Temp sensors into the EGT unit? Since it is set up for those 2 prong yellow connectors.
We didnt use the air temp sensors they provide. We just use two more egt probs for air temp

Pro Stock 3.6 "Crazy Ex"

Old 01-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #12
DMDP

Member`s Gallery
On my 3.0 engine I used a Dakota digital box that was programmed to the flywheel tooth count, drilled thru the side of the factory engine adapter and mounted the sensor there. Very clean and out of the way. I now have a blow proof bell housing and a different engine plate that I couldn’t drill thru to read off the flywheel anymore. 4 magnet pickups in balancer now

Pro Stock 3.6 "Crazy Ex"

Old 01-17-2020, 01:12 PM   #13
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
We didnt use the air temp sensors they provide. We just use two more egt probs for air temp
Darn, i just got my charge pipes all fabbed up and the 3/8 NPT bungs welded in for the IAT Sensors they supply
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-17-2020, 01:16 PM   #14
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thats more than likely what I will end up doing. I went ahead and got the 2 driveshaft pickups that came with the collar that has magnets in them. I'm hoping I can use the magnets from their collars to drill and epoxy the balancer and driveshaft. If not, is there any certain type of magnet? I figure a stronger magnet would give better and more accurate readings.
Mcmaster Carr has permanent magnets of all sizes. But I think the ones it came with will work fine. Make sure you don't drill your balancer too deep. I called Fluidampr and they told me the max depth to drill.

Old 01-17-2020, 03:05 PM   #15
Runaway_Diesel

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincejax View Post
Mcmaster Carr has permanent magnets of all sizes. But I think the ones it came with will work fine. Make sure you don't drill your balancer too deep. I called Fluidampr and they told me the max depth to drill.
You wouldn't happen to have that depth to give me, would you? Save me some time lol
5x.025s
S464/S483 Compounds
Hamilton 194/220 Cam
13mm Pump

Old 01-17-2020, 07:11 PM   #16
Vincejax

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
You wouldn't happen to have that depth to give me, would you? Save me some time lol
It was a while back I did mine, wouldn't want to guess and tell you the wrong thing. It should just be a quick phone call to get an answer.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #17
WPDiesel

Name: WPDiesel
Member`s Gallery
I love our Pcs d200!! If you need any help text me 765-586-zero eight seven 1

Old 09-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #18
Rockin S

Name: Rockin S
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Do you happen to have the Part number for the buffer? I cant seem to find it

Closed Thread