Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Entrance Gate- Welcome to Competition Diesel > Competition Events and Get-Togethers > Diesels for Christ
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #1401
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Name: GOLDDUSTERS5703
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Family Trademarks
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 1 John 4:7-16
Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. —1 John 4:7
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 51-53; Romans 2
The Aran Islands, off the west coast of Ireland, are known for their beautiful sweaters. Patterns are woven into the fabric using sheep’s wool to craft the garments. Many of them relate to the culture and folklore of these small islands, but some are more personal. Each family on the islands has its own trademark pattern, which is so distinctive that if a fisherman were to drown it is said that he could be identified simply by examining his sweater for the family trademark.

In John’s first letter, the apostle describes things that are to be trademarks of those who are members of God’s family. In 1 John 3:1, John affirms that we are indeed part of God’s family by saying, “Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!” He then describes the trademarks of those who are the children of God, including, “Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God” (4:7).

Because “love is of God,” the chief way to reflect the heart of the Father is by displaying the love that characterizes Him. May we allow His love to reach out to others through us—for love is one of our family trademarks.

Father, teach me to love with the love of Christ
that others might see Your love reflected in my
care and concern for them. May Your love
drive and dominate my responses to life and to others.
Love is the family resemblance the world should see in followers of Christ.
Insight
In 1 John 4:9, John’s words parallel those of Paul in Romans 5:8, which reads: “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Notice that with both Paul and John the emphasis is on how God’s love has been proven through the sending of His Son to us. Paul’s perspective, however, is rooted in our unworthiness while John’s focus is on the gift of life in Christ.

PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM   #1402
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Just As I Am
By Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Isaiah 55:1-7
Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live. —Isaiah 55:3
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 54-56; Romans 3
Good memories flooded my mind as I sat in a concert. The group’s leader had just introduced the song they were about to sing: “Just As I Am.” I remembered how years ago at the end of his sermons my pastor would ask people to come forward while we sang that song, indicating they would like to receive the forgiveness Christ offers for their sins.

But the leader of the musical group at the concert suggested another occasion when we might sing this song. He commented that he likes to think that when he dies and goes to meet the Lord one day, he will sing in thanks to Him:

Just as I am, without one plea

But that Thy blood was shed for me,

And that Thou bidd’st me come to Thee,

O Lamb of God, I come!

Years before writing this song, Charlotte Elliott asked a minister how she might find the Lord. He told her, “Just come to Him as you are.” She did, and later during a discouraging time of illness, she wrote this hymn about the day she came to Christ and He forgave her sin.

In His Word, the Lord encourages us to seek Him: “Seek the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near” (Isa. 55:6). He calls to our hearts: “Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters . . . . Incline your ear, and come to Me. Hear, and your soul shall live” (vv.1,3).

Because of Jesus’ death and resurrection, we can come to Him right now and will one day go into eternity to be with Him forever. Just as I am . . . I come!

Let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely. —Revelation 22:17
Insight
Isaiah 55 has rich words of hope for us in its first seven verses. Arguably, however, the chapter’s most familiar words are found in the next two verses: “‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ says the Lord. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts’” (vv.8-9). These verses offer hope and assurance. God is in control and sees the big picture.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #1403
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
City Of Refuge
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 59:10-17
I will sing of Your power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. —Psalm 59:16
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 57-59; Romans 4
As we entered a town in Australia, we were greeted by a sign that declared: “We welcome all who are seeking refuge and asylum.” This kind of welcome seems to resonate with the Old Testament concept of the cities of refuge. In the Old Testament era, cities of refuge (Num. 35:6) were established to be a safe haven for people who had accidentally killed someone and were needing protection. God had the people establish such cities to provide that refuge.

This concept, however, was not intended to be simply a practice for ancient Israel. More than that, cities of refuge reflected the heart of God for all people. He Himself longs to be our safe haven and our city of refuge in the failures, heartaches, and losses of life. We read in Psalm 59:16-17, “I will sing of Your power; yes, I will sing aloud of Your mercy in the morning; for You have been my defense and refuge in the day of my trouble. To You, O my Strength, I will sing praises; for God is my defense, my God of mercy.”

For the hurting heart of every generation, our “city of refuge” is not a place. Our city of refuge is a Person—the God who loves us with an everlasting love. May we find our refuge and rest in Him.

How oft in the conflict, when pressed by the foe,
I have fled to my Refuge and breathed out my woe;
How often, when trials like sea billows roll,
Have I hidden in Thee, O Thou Rock of my soul. —Cushing
Refuge can be found in the Rock of Ages.
Insight
According to the superscription at the beginning of Psalm 59, this psalm was written to the tune of “Do Not Destroy,” which is also the tune of Psalms 57, 58, and 75. David wrote this psalm when Saul had sent assassins to watch David’s house (1 Sam. 19:11). David’s wife Michal (Saul’s daughter) helped him escape (v.12).

Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #1404
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
All We Need To Know
By David H. Roper

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Romans 7:18-25
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells. —Romans 7:18
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 66-67; Romans 7
In a Fernando Ortega rendition of “Just As I Am,” Billy Graham’s voice can be heard faintly in the background. Dr. Graham is reminiscing about an illness during which he believed he was dying. As he mused on his past, he realized what a great sinner he was and how much he continues to need God’s daily forgiveness.

Billy Graham was putting an end to the notion that apart from God we’re okay. We can feel good about ourselves, but that confidence must come from the knowledge that we’re greatly loved children of God (John 3:16), not that we’re very good children (Rom. 7:18).

The first step in becoming a truly “good” person as a follower of Christ is to stop pretending that we’re good on our own and to ask God to make us as good as we can be. We will fail many times, but He will keep growing us and changing us. God is faithful and—in His time and in His way—He’ll do it.

In his final years, the writer of “Amazing Grace,” John Newton, suffered from dementia and lamented the loss of his memory. Yet he confided, “I do remember two things: I am a great sinner, and Jesus is a great Savior.” When it comes to faith, those are the only things anyone needs to know.

The Lord has promised good to me,
His word my hope secures;
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures. —Newton
God’s grace accepted is God’s peace experienced.
Insight
The Christian life is one of struggle with sin and growth in holiness. On this side of heaven, we will not be totally freed from this struggle (James 3:2; 1 John 1:8–2:1). In today’s text, the apostle Paul writes of the war between good and evil that wages within him. Elsewhere Paul explains, “For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want” (Gal. 5:17 niv). Yet we can take comfort in the fact that Jesus delivers us from this “body of death” (Rom. 7:24).

Old 08-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #1405
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Breaking Free
By Poh Fang Chia

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Romans 8:1-11
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus. —Romans 8:1
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 68-69; Romans 8:1-21
The elephant is the largest land animal on earth—and one of the most powerful. Yet it takes only a strong rope to restrain one. Here’s how it works. When the elephant is young, he is tied to a large tree. For weeks, he will strain and pull, but the rope holds him fast. So eventually he gives up.

Then, when the elephant reaches his full size and strength, he won’t struggle to get free, for once he feels resistance, he stops. He still believes he’s held captive and can’t break free.

Satan can play a similar trick on us to hold us captive. The Bible assures us that there is “no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit” (Rom. 8:1). We have been set “free from the law of sin and death” (v.2). But the enemy of our soul tries to make us believe we are still dominated by sin.

What shall we do then? Reflect on what Christ has done. He died for our sins and declared an end to sin’s control over us (v.3). He rose from the dead and gave us the Holy Spirit. Now we are empowered to live victoriously in Him because “the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in [us]” (v.11).

In Christ, we are set free.

He has our salvation wrought,
He our captive souls has bought,
He has reconciled to God,
He has washed us in His blood. —Wesley
Experience true freedom— take every thought captive in obedience to Christ.
Insight
Though Paul did not plant the church at Rome, his letter to them became foundational not only for their spiritual understanding, but—in many ways—for ours as well. Paul’s theology of salvation and call to response resonate with gratitude to his Savior.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #1406
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Broken But Beautiful
By Cindy Hess Kasper

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Jeremiah 18:1-6
[The vessel] was marred . . . ; so he made it again into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to make. —Jeremiah 18:4
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 70-71; Romans 8:22-39
Recently, my daughter showed me her collection of sea glass. Also known as beach glass, the varied bits of colored glass are sometimes pieces of pottery but often they are pieces of shattered glass bottles. Originally the glass had a purpose, but then it was casually thrown away and became broken.

If the discarded glass ends up in an ocean, its journey is just beginning. As it is relentlessly tossed about by currents and tides, its jagged edges are ground down by the sand and waves and eventually are smoothed away and rounded off. The result is something beautiful. The jewel-like sea glass has found new life and is treasured by collectors and artists.

In a similar way, a broken life can be renewed when it is touched by God’s love and grace. In the Old Testament, we read that when the prophet Jeremiah watched a potter working, he noticed that if an object was marred the potter simply reshaped it (Jer. 18:1-6). God explained that in His hands the people of ancient Israel were like clay, which He would shape as He saw best.

We are never too badly broken for God to reshape. He loves us in spite of our imperfections and past mistakes, and He desires to make us beautiful.

Have Thine own way, Lord! Have Thine own way!
Thou art the Potter, I am the clay;
Mold me and make me after Thy will,
While I am waiting, yielded and still. —Pollard
When melted by trial, we can be fully molded by the Potter.
Insight
Jeremiah is often referred to as the weeping prophet because of the disheartening messages he was often called to deliver to the people of Israel. This title is also appropriate considering the fact that he also wrote the book of Lamentations. In today’s passage, God shows Jeremiah that there is no situation that is not redeemable. No matter the mar, no matter the defect, God can remold and reshape the people of Israel into something useful and beautiful. This is the same message that Paul delivers to the church of Corinth. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new” (2 Cor. 5:17). God takes the old and broken and fashions it into something new and useful.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #1407
diesel_importer

Name: diesel_importer
Member`s Gallery
^^^ Good read!! Thank you for still posting these.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #1408
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Smile

Thank you for taking the time to read them. Have a good one.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #1409
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Difficult People
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Ephesians 4:1-12
Walk worthy of the calling with which you were called . . . bearing with one another in love. —Ephesians 4:1-2
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 72-73; Romans 9:1-15
In the book God in the Dock, author C. S. Lewis describes the kind of people we have trouble getting along with. Selfishness, anger, jealousy, or other quirks often sabotage our relationship with them. We sometimes think, Life would be much easier if we didn’t have to contend with such difficult people.

Lewis then turns the tables on us by pointing out that these frustrations are what God has to endure with each of us every day. He writes: “You are just that sort of person. You also have a fatal flaw in your character. All the hopes and plans of others have again and again shipwrecked on your character just as your hopes and plans have shipwrecked on theirs.” This self-awareness should motivate us to try to show the same patience and acceptance to others that God shows to us daily.

In Ephesians, Paul exhorts us to arm ourselves relationally “with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love” (4:2). The one who is patient is better able to deal with a difficult person without becoming provoked to anger and retaliation. Instead, he or she is able to endure, exhibiting grace in spite of upsetting behavior.

Are there difficult people in your life? Ask God to show His love through you.

Some people can be difficult to love,
And so we do not even try to care;
But God says, “Love them just as I’ve loved you—
You’ll bring Me glory as My love you share.” —Cetas
See others as God sees you.
Insight
Paul never gives instruction without reminding readers of the reason for it. Today’s encouragement to bear with one another (Eph. 4:2) is rooted in the necessity of recognizing that the Spirit unites us in one calling, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God (vv.3-6). We are to be patient with others so that the body of Christ may be edified (vv.2,12).

Old 08-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #1410
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Upright Thumb
By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Genesis 6:11-22
Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord. —Genesis 6:8
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 74-76; Romans 9:16-33
According to an African fable, four fingers and a thumb lived together on a hand. They were inseparable friends. One day, they noticed a gold ring lying next to them and conspired to take it. The thumb said it would be wrong to steal the ring, but the four fingers called him a self-righteous coward and refused to be his friend. That was just fine with the thumb; he wanted nothing to do with their mischief. This is why, the legend goes, the thumb still stands separate from the other fingers.

This tale reminds me that at times we may feel we’re standing alone when wrongdoing surrounds us. In Noah’s day, the earth was filled with violence; every thought in every heart was “evil continually” (Gen. 6:5,11). Yet “Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord” (v.8). Fully devoted to God, Noah obeyed Him and built the ark. The Lord, in His grace, spared him and his family.

We too have been shown God’s grace through His Son Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection. We have every reason to bring Him honor and stand strong for Him in our daily lives. He is always near, even abiding in us, so we never really stand alone. His “ears are open to [our] cry” (Ps. 34:15).

They show their colors when they stand
For what is true and right;
And those who venture all on God
Are pleasing in His sight. —D. DeHaan
It’s easy to stand with a crowd; it takes courage to stand alone.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #1411
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Power Of Simplicity
By Bill Crowder

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Mark 12:28-34
Then one of the scribes came, and . . . asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?” —Mark 12:28
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 81-83; Romans 11:19-36
Few people take time to study the US Internal Revenue Service income tax regulations—and for good reason. According to Forbes magazine, in 2013 tax codes surpassed the four million-word mark. In fact, the tax laws have become so complex that even the experts have a hard time processing all the regulations. It’s burdensome in its complexity.

The religious leaders in ancient Israel did the same thing in their relationship with God. They made it too complex with laws. The growing burden of religious regulations had increased to the point where even an expert in Moses’ law struggled to understand its core. When one such leader asked Jesus what mattered most in the Commandments, Jesus responded, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31).

The law of Moses was burdensome, but faith in Christ is simple and His “burden is light” (Matt. 11:30). It’s light because God was willing to forgive us and love us. Now He enables us to love Him and our neighbor.

I love Thee because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree;
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow;
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ’tis now. —Featherstone
God’s love in our heart gives us a heart for Him and others.
Insight
In Christ’s answer to the scribe in Mark 12:29, He quotes the “Shema” from Deuteronomy 6:4 which states, “Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.” The title “shema” is from the Hebrew word for hear. One source says this statement of the oneness of God is recited twice each day by observant Jews and is the most important part of Judaism’s prayer services.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #1412
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Example That Encourages
By Albert Lee

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 2 Timothy 2:1-7
I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet . . . . I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. —John 13:14-15
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 84-86; Romans 12
The story is told that in the late 1800s a group of European pastors attended D. L. Moody’s Bible conference in Massachusetts. Following their custom, they put their shoes outside their room before they slept, expecting them to be cleaned by hotel workers. When Moody saw the shoes, he mentioned the need to others because he knew their custom. But he was met with silence. Moody collected all the shoes and cleaned them himself. A friend who made an unexpected visit to his room revealed what Moody had done. The word spread, and the next few nights others took turns doing the cleaning.

Moody’s leadership style of humility inspired others to follow his example. The apostle Paul reminded Timothy to “be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others” (2 Tim. 2:1-2 niv). When we remember that our strength is a result of God’s grace, that keeps us humble. Then in humility we pass on God’s truth by being an example that encourages and inspires others to follow.

Jesus Himself is our example of servanthood. He gave His very life for us.

Lord Jesus, I know little about humility.
Show me and teach me as I read about Your
example in Your Word. Give me the grace
to humble myself and serve others.
Humility is the result of knowing God and knowing yourself.
Insight
Paul had been mentoring Timothy as he pastored a church in Ephesus. Paul instructed Timothy not only in matters of faith (2 Tim. 3:14-17), but in matters of church etiquette and order, and in practical matters of conducting himself in a manner that reflected the grace of Jesus Christ. The importance of the last of these is reflected in today’s passage (vv.3-6). But Paul didn’t simply give direction and instruction; he modeled what he encouraged. Modeling Christ to those around us is one of the ways we demonstrate that He is our leader (vv.2-3). We see this principle also in 1 Corinthians when Paul told the Corinthian church to follow his example as he followed the example of Christ (11:1).

Old 08-13-2014, 09:29 AM   #1413
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Life-Giving Rain
By David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Acts 6:1-10
They were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke. —Acts 6:10
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 87-88; Romans 13
During the August heat of 1891, R. G. Dyrenforth arrived in Midland, Texas, determined to blast rain from the sky. Known as a “concussionist,” he and his team launched and detonated huge balloons filled with explosive gases, fired cannons, and exploded piles of dynamite on the ground—shaking both earth and sky. Some believed he made it rain a little, but most said all he caused was noise. The explosive power was impressive but ineffective.

When the early church needed overseers, they sought people with a different kind of power. They chose “seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom” (Acts 6:3) to manage the daily distribution of food. One of those was Stephen, a man “full of faith and power, [who] did great wonders and signs among the people” (v.8). When disputes arose, those who argued with Stephen “were not able to resist the wisdom and the Spirit by which he spoke” (v.10).

The Bible makes it clear that Stephen’s spiritual effectiveness came from being filled with the Holy Spirit, who gave him the right balance of faith, wisdom, and power.

God’s Spirit in our lives today replaces the loud noise of self-interest with His gentle, life-giving rain.

Holy Spirit, I want my life to be marked
by Your power. May my words and actions
give life-giving rain to encourage others
to know You and trust You.
In our life for Christ we accomplish nothing without the power of the Spirit.
Insight
Today’s text not only highlights the source of the power with which the Christian works—the Holy Spirit (v.5)—but also our responsibility in relation to that power—faith (vv.5,8). Stephen was a man known to be full of both.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #1414
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
The Parable Of The Sting
By Randy Kilgore

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 1 Peter 2:9-12
They may, by your good works which they observe, glorify God in the day of visitation. —1 Peter 2:12
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 89-90; Romans 14
I can still see Jay Elliott’s shocked face as I burst through his front door almost 50 years ago with a “gang” of bees swirling around me. As I raced out his back door, I realized the bees were gone. Well, sort of—I’d left them in Jay’s house! Moments later, he came racing out his back door—chased by the bees I had brought to him.

I had more than a dozen stings, with little effect. Jay had a different experience. Though he’d been stung only once or twice by “my” bees, his eyes and throat swelled up in a painful allergic reaction. My actions had caused a lot of pain for my friend.

That’s a picture of what’s true in our interpersonal relationships too. We hurt others when our actions aren’t Christlike. Even after an apology, the “sting” sticks.

People would be right to expect an absence of harshness and an air of patience from those who follow Christ. We forget sometimes that people struggling with faith, or life, or both, watch Christians with expectation. They hope to see less anger and more mercy, less judgment and more compassion, less criticism and more encouragement. Jesus and Peter told us to live good lives so God is given the glory (Matt. 5:16; 1 Peter 2:12). May our actions and reactions point those around us to our loving Father.

We have found that it’s easy to hurt others
with our words or actions. Teach us, Father,
to pause and to think before we speak or act.
Fill us with kindness and care.
May others see less of me and more of Jesus.
Insight
Peter wrote to Christians who were going through fiery trials of intense persecution (1 Peter 1:6; 4:12). He encouraged these believers to persevere, to remain faithful, and to view these difficult times as opportunities to strengthen their faith and bear witness to Christ. In today’s passage, Peter reminded them of their special identity and spiritual status as God’s chosen people (vv.9-10). “A chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation” are descriptions applied to the Jews in the Old Testament (Ex. 19:5-6; Isa. 43:20-21), but here Peter applies them to believers. He reminds them—and us—that we are chosen by God for the purpose of witnessing and testifying to God’s love (vv.9-10).

Old 08-15-2014, 09:03 AM   #1415
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Is There Hope?
By Anne Cetas

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Matthew 28:1-10
“He is not here; for He is risen, as He said.” —Matthew 28:6
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 91-93; Romans 15:1-13
I sat quietly at the graveside of my father, waiting for the private family burial of my mother to begin. The funeral director carried the urn that held her ashes. My heart felt numb and my head was in a fog. How can I handle losing them both within just 3 months? In my grief I felt loss and loneliness and a little hopeless facing a future without them.

Then the pastor read about another graveside. On the first day of the week, early in the morning, women went to Jesus’ tomb, carrying spices for His body (Matt. 28:1; Luke 24:1). There they were startled to find an open and empty tomb—and an angel. “Do not be afraid,” he said to them (Matt. 28:5). They didn’t need to be afraid of the empty tomb or of the angel, because he had good news for them.

Hope stirred when I heard the next words: “He is not here; for He is risen, as He said” (v.6). Because Jesus had come back to life, death had been conquered! Jesus reminded His followers just a few days before His death: “Because I live, you will live also” (John 14:19).

Even though we grieve at the loss of our loved ones, we find hope through the resurrection of Jesus and His promise that there is life after death.

Thank You, Lord, for comfort and hope.
What would we do without You? Your death
and resurrection provide all we need for
this life and the next.
Because He lives, we live.
Insight
The “other Mary” (Matt. 28:1) in today’s account is apparently the same woman described as “Mary the wife of Clopas” who was at the cross and burial of Jesus (27:61; John 19:25). It appears she was the mother of James “the Less” and Joses (Mark 15:40), and despite sharing the same name, she was a sister of Mary, Jesus’ mother (John 19:25).

Old 08-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #1416
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Believing In Advance
By Philip Yancey

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Revelation 22:12-21
Surely I am coming quickly. —Revelation 22:20
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 100-102; 1 Corinthians 1
In a German prison camp in World War II, undiscovered by the guards, some Americans built a homemade radio. One day news came that the German high command had surrendered, ending the war. Because of a communications breakdown, however, the guards did not yet know this. As word spread among the prisoners, a loud celebration broke out. For 3 days, they sang, waved at guards, and shared jokes over meals. On the fourth day, they awoke to find that all the Germans had fled. Their waiting had come to an end.

A number of Bible stories center on waiting: Abraham waiting for a child (Gen. 12–21). The Israelites waiting for deliverance from Egypt. Prophets waiting for the fulfillment of their own predictions. The disciples waiting for Jesus to act like the powerful Messiah they anticipated. Jesus’ final words at the end of Revelation are “I am coming quickly,” followed by an urgent, echoing prayer, “Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (22:20). For this, we still wait.

Here’s the question I ask myself: As we wait, why are we so often fearful and anxious? We can, like the Allied prisoners, act on the good news we say we believe. What is faith in God, after all, but believing in advance what will only make sense in reverse?

Faith looks beyond the shadow
Of dread and doubt and fear
And finds the Savior waiting
And always standing near. —French
Waiting tries our faith and so we wait in hope.
Insight
After writing of the events that will precede Jesus’ second coming (Rev. 4–22), John assured his readers of the certainty and nearness of Jesus’ return by quoting Him two times: “I am coming quickly” (vv.12,20). John then adds a personal plea, “Even so, come, Lord Jesus!” (v.20).

Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 AM   #1417
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Following The Master
By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Numbers 9:15-23
At the command of the Lord they remained encamped, and at the command of the Lord they journeyed. —Numbers 9:23
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 103-104; 1 Corinthians 2
At a dog show near my home, I watched a Cardigan Welsh corgi named Trevor perform. At his master’s command, he ran several yards away and immediately returned, he jumped fences, and he identified objects using his sense of smell. After finishing each exercise, he sat down at his master’s feet and waited for more instructions.

Trevor’s careful attention to his master’s instruction reminded me of the devotion God desired from His people as they followed Him through the wilderness. God led in a unique way. His presence appeared as a cloud. If the cloud ascended, He wanted His people to move to another area. If the cloud descended, they were to stay put. “At the command of the Lord they remained encamped, and at the command of the Lord they journeyed” (Num. 9:23). The Israelites followed this practice day or night, regardless of how long they had to remain in one place.

God wasn’t simply testing the Israelites; He was leading them to the Promised Land (10:29). He wanted to take them to a better place. So it is with us when God asks us to follow Him. He wants to lead us to a place of closer fellowship with Himself. His Word assures us that He is loving and faithful in leading those who humbly follow Him.

In fellowship sweet we will sit at His feet,
Or we’ll walk by His side in the way;
What He says we will do, where He sends we will go;
Never fear, only trust and obey. —Sammis
God asks His children to follow the Leader.
Insight
The tabernacle (Num. 9:15) was not only a place of worship, it was intended to be the center of Israel’s national life. This “tent of meeting” also foreshadowed the incarnation of Christ, the living Word who “dwelled” (that is, “tabernacled”) among us in a tent of human flesh (John 1:14).

Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 AM   #1418
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Our Foundation
By Dennis Fisher

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: 1 Corinthians 3:1-11
For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. —1 Corinthians 3:11
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 105-106; 1 Corinthians 3
The Bavarian city of Nördlingen is unique. It sits in the middle of the Ries Crater, a large circular depression caused by the impact of a huge meteorite a long time ago. The immense pressure of the impact resulted in unusual crystallized rock and millions of microscopic diamonds. In the 13th century, these speckled stones were used to build St. George’s Church. Visitors can see the beautiful crystal deposits in its foundation and walls. Some might say it has a heavenly foundation.

The Bible talks of a different kind of heavenly foundation. The Lord Jesus came to our world from heaven (John 3:13). When He went back into heaven after His death and resurrection, He left His followers who became the “living temple” of God, of which He is the foundation. The apostle Paul says, “For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Cor. 3:11).

The church building in Bavaria is built on a foundation from pieces of rock from the physical heavens. But the spiritual church—all believers in Christ—is founded on the ultimate heavenly foundation, Christ Jesus (Isa. 28:16; 1 Cor. 10:3-4). Praise God that because of what Jesus has done our salvation is secure.

On Christ salvation rests secure;
The Rock of Ages will endure;
Nor can that faith be overthrown
Which rests upon the “Living Stone.” —Anon.
Christ, the Rock, is our sure hope.
Insight
In today’s passage, Paul uses both agricultural and architectural metaphors to warn of an overreliance and dependence on church leaders. Using an agricultural metaphor, he reminds us that while human leaders do the planting and watering, God alone can make the church grow (1 Cor. 3:1-9). And with the architectural metaphor of a building, Paul warns that no human leader is the founder of the church (vv.10-11). God alone is the founder and foundation.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:53 AM   #1419
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
A Word For The Struggler
By David C. McCasland

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Hebrews 10:32-39
Do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. —Hebrews 10:35
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 107-109; 1 Corinthians 4
There is an old adage that says, “Don’t bite off more than you can chew.” It’s wise not to take on more responsibilities than we can handle. At some time, however, we will likely feel overwhelmed by the size and difficulty of a task we have agreed to do.

This can happen even in our walk of faith in Christ when our commitment to God seems too much to bear. But the Lord has an encouraging word for us when our confidence wavers.

The writer of Hebrews urged his readers to recall the courage they demonstrated during the early days of their faith (10:32-33). Despite public insults and persecution, they aided believers in prison, and they joyfully accepted the confiscation of their own property (vv.33-34). With that in mind, he says, “Therefore, do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise” (vv.35-36).

Our confidence is not in ourselves but in Jesus and His promise to return at just the right time (v.37).

It is God’s power that enables us to continue in our journey of faith. Recalling the Lord’s faithfulness in days past stirs our confidence in Him today.

When life becomes a heavy load,
An upward climb, a winding road,
In daily tasks, Lord, let me see
That with me You will always be. —D. DeHaan
Trusting God’s faithfulness stirs up our confidence.
Insight
Severely opposed and persecuted, Jewish Christians were pressured to abandon Christianity and to revert to Judaism. The unnamed writer of Hebrews encouraged them to continue in the faith by affirming the preeminence, superiority, and sufficiency of Christ through His person and position (Heb. 1–4) and His work of propitiation (chs. 5–10). He also warned them against rejecting Christ (2:1-3; 3:7-15; 6:4-6). Here, in his final exhortation, he reminded them of their exemplary faithfulness in enduring the mistreatments thus far (10:32-34) and of the great reward that would be theirs if they persevered (vv.35-36). He was confident that they would succeed (v.39).

Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 AM   #1420
GOLDDUSTERS5703

Member`s Gallery
Live In Love
By Dave Branon

Subscribe on iTunes
Play MP3 (Mobile)
Select a Language
Read: Psalm 112
Unto the upright there arises light in the darkness; he is gracious, and full of compassion. —Psalm 112:4
Bible in a Year:
Psalms 110-112; 1 Corinthians 5
In the African country where my friend Roxanne lives, water is a precious commodity. People often have to travel long distances to collect water from small, contaminated creeks—leading to sickness and death. It’s difficult for organizations like orphanages and churches to serve the people because of a lack of water. But that’s beginning to change.

Through Roxanne’s leadership and the unselfish gifts of some loving people in established churches, clean water wells are being dug. At least six new wells are now operational, allowing churches to be centers of hope and encouragement. A health center and a home for 700 orphans will also be able to be opened because of access to water.

That’s the kind of love that can flow from believers in Christ when we have experienced the love and generosity of God. Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13 that if we don’t have love, our voices clang on people’s ears and our faith means nothing. And the apostle John says that if we have material possessions and see others in need and take action, that’s evidence that God’s love is abiding in us (1 John 3:16).

God desires that we deal “graciously” (Ps. 112:5) with those in need, for His heart is gracious toward us.

Be not weary in your serving;
Do your best for those in need;
Kindnesses will be rewarded
By the Lord who prompts the deed. —Anon.
Kindness is Christianity with its working clothes on.
Insight
While there is no designation of the author of Psalm 112, the common speculation is for Davidic authorship. It may well have been written as a companion to Psalm 111. In both songs, the verses are written in alphabetical order, and both share the theme of the characteristics and life of the person blessed by God. Psalm 111 focuses on the God who blesses, while Psalm 112 focuses on the person who is blessed.

Closed Thread