Concrete floor in an existing pole barn

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
I've got an old 25'x35' pole barn and I'd like to pour a concrete floor in it. The barn looks like it was built by a one eyed gypsy so I'd rather not spend big money hiring someone to put a floor in it. I'm just fed up with the sand floor, it's getting in my vag and causing quality of life issues.

That being said I've only assisted folks doing concrete so I'm basically a novice. Sounds horrible, but I plan on searching youtube for instructional videos this week. I can get a few buddies to help, matter of fact one I think one of my buddies might have done some concrete work in his construction days. I'll have a truck bring in the concrete.

So where do I start? Should I try and do one big pour or use the poles to section it off and do three smaller pours. If I did the three, each would be 12'x25'.

With approximately a 60/40 sand/gravel floor, how involved should I get in preparing the base to pour? How would you recommend leveling the floor? Should I back fill everything to the base of the 2x6 footer?

I haven't checked yet, but how phucked am I if the building isn't level. Or at least the base board?

The barn doesn't have overhead doors but I have a pair I was thinking about putting in. Should I install those before the concrete?

I just decided to do this today so I'm sure I'll have more questions later. I'll get some pictures as well if anyone wants them.

Put your doors in first that will help u set your floor grade, I wouldn't worry about the building being straight just set your floor height fill with sand compact it and pour the mud.

Id do 3 pours for the ease of doing it. You will want to have the joints anyways in case of heaving. Id also put a layer of plastic down so the floors don't sweat. My advice pertains to my area and my preference. You are in New Mexico? Probably best to get advice from guys in your climate. Will you be using the barn for vehicles? Just storage? etc etc. What you do inside will be a deciding factor on if you need rebar and how thick it will need to be. Google concrete calculator and put in your measurements to see how much it will cost you roughly. My last concrete I poured needed additives for cold weather curing and it ran about 106.50 per yard delivered. A 12 x 27 pad I poured 5 inches deep was about 9 yards so just shy of 1000.00 delivered for that load a few weeks ago. Ive never done concrete as a professional either but asking questions from guys in the know made me feel comfortable enough to pour my own shop floors and it turned out as smooth as glass with power trowling it.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm in New Mexico. I've love to build a lavish steel shop, but I'll be moving once I line up another job, so this just needs to hold me over till then.

I use the pole barn as my garage right now, the heaviest thing that fits in there is my truck, which was just under 7000lbs last time I was at the quarry. Truck only goes in for service, the 3200lb Camaro gets stored there.

I've helped my family do concrete before but that was over 10 years ago and I've long forgot the details.

Back