Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2013+ 6.7L 385
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM   #1
Hired Gun

Name: Hired Gun
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Exhaust Question

I am about to delete my 2013 Tradesman. I am wondering why so many are buying a 4 inch exhaust that is downpipe back? Wouldnt it be easier, and a money saver to just cut off the dead weight, and stick a stick of 4 inch in its palce? All you are using is the factory downpipe, and tail pipe? This can be done for half the cost of a flo pro set up.

AmI missing something, or is there a performance gain by buying a new set up? Educate me on this. Ive been out of the upgrade dept. for a few years, and I am back to learning.

Jared
Crew Cab
White the color of innocence

Old 04-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
That's what I did with mine, just a section to replace those now unneeded items.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Well, exhaust is pretty cheap if you're just replacing stock for a standard TBE.
So you're going to save a little money, but now you're adding cutting, fitment, and welding. Probably taking this 1hr job into a 4hr job.

I'd guess that's why most swap the whole thing.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #4
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
^^^like he said, lots of extra time and difficulty to save a few dollars. Your time is worth something.

Old 04-18-2018, 11:13 AM   #5
Hired Gun

Member`s Gallery
Wow, I appreciate the fast responses. JasonC did you run a muffler with yours or straight pipe?

The Flo Pro I see listed with most sellers is around 329.00 for the downpipe back systems. I do not think I have seen a 4 inch Turbo back listed, but I could be wrong. I love the look of the 5 inch, but I am afraid it would be too loud and annoying when towing. Not many deleted trucks in my area to compare it to to be very honest.
Crew Cab

Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwentzler View Post
^^^like he said, lots of extra time and difficulty to save a few dollars. Your time is worth something.
It took me a whole 30 minutes there buddy, and a $40 peice of pipe bought from a exhaust shop.

Last edited by jasonc; 04-18-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: ...

Old 04-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hired Gun View Post
Wow, I appreciate the fast responses. JasonC did you run a muffler with yours or straight pipe?

The Flo Pro I see listed with most sellers is around 329.00 for the downpipe back systems. I do not think I have seen a 4 inch Turbo back listed, but I could be wrong. I love the look of the 5 inch, but I am afraid it would be too loud and annoying when towing. Not many deleted trucks in my area to compare it to to be very honest.
Just straight pipe. The only times it bugs me is if I'm pulling a trailer and running 80, it gets a little annoying. Not bad enough to do anything about anyway.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Hired Gun

Member`s Gallery
Thank you friend. I do appreciate all the Comp D info. Ive tried this question on another forum, and I wasnt getting info. Seems like Comp D is more friendly to questions. Guess I will stick here.
Crew Cab

Old 04-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #9
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
I have 5” on mine because I found it used for a good deal. It drones at 1200-1400 and 2100-2300. I haven’t pulled a trailer with it yet to see how bad it is loaded. But I’m right at 1300-1400 at 55mph, so I might end up doing a resonator or something if it’s bad. Highway speeds it’s fine though (70-75). G56 with 3.42 gears

Oh and on a side note, these trucks don’t really have a “down pipe”. I mean they do, but not like the old second gens. The turbo is down low and the exhaust just angles up right into the turbo. But if you unbolted the emissions and welded a pipe and hangers and used the stock exhaust over the axle, I don’t see why you couldn’t make your own. Depends on your skills and how you value your time
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Last edited by mfsuper90; 04-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
wwentzler

Name: wwentzler
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
It took me a whole 30 minutes there buddy, and a $40 peice of pipe bought from a exhaust shop.
I was simply providing insight, not trying to win a pissing match.

The average Joe is also going to take much longer than 30 mins. I surely would be closer to hour and a half, but I tend to take my time and not ram **** together.

You also probably did not account for the time it took you to drive to the store, buy the pipe, and drive back, so tack that on to your 30 mins.

I'm no stranger to pinching every extra penny, but ill pay the extra 150-200 to sit in a chair and drink beer for 2 hours instead of crawling around on the ground. Not to mention the kit is going to look far cleaner. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #11
Hired Gun

Member`s Gallery
MFSuper90, I am going to assume you are straight pipe since you mentioned a resonator in you response. That might help a bunch. I see people adding like a 30 inch hushpower to them on some forums.

Well it would take me 30 minutes to just find the tools to get started. Some people do not put things back where I had them. I have a friend that runs a muffler shop, so I can get pretty good deals there.

Again, thanks for all the advice. Keep them coming.
Crew Cab

Old 04-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #12
TBittner

Name: TBittner
Member`s Gallery
I cant reacll off hand but i do think the "race pipes/remove cat/dpf" are the more economical route and can be just as clean of an install. I did this on my brothers F550 and it is clean and easy as can be.

If im installing a full exhaust my as well just do a 5" if going that far. Just my .2 cents

Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
I did a 5" straight because I got it basically free. I get a bad drone at ~2000-2150 rpm, but that's not cruising speed for anything. Towing it's just fine.
I'll likely toss a muffler on it eventually, or if I find some extra time, just make a quick 1/4L Helmholtz resonator since it's just one frequency.

I did play around with exhaust a bit on my 12V and there's not much difference in volume between a 4" and a 5", and no performance gain until you start moving a LOT of air (not starting a conversation on hood stacks!).
The muffler made a huge difference on my 12V though.

Closed Thread