Turbo suggestions for modded 12V

Got Smoke?

Ok I'm asking for opinions from members here who have far more experience and knowledge than me.

My 97 has a very modified engine in it I was originally building for pulling when I used to compete several years ago and decided to get out. In the past few years its only been a street truck that still occasionally tows a gooseneck. I'm finally wanting to upgrade the turbo, but I'm unsure of which direction to go. I've recently converted the truck from 5spd to automatic with a full manual vb 47RE & Hurst gated shifter.

I'm looking at 3 different options and wondering which one will best suit my overall goals with the truck. Which are to drive on the street, still occasionally pull a gooseneck if needbe (my mega has a cap and no GN hitch), and go play at the drag strip as often as I can.

(The first two options are being considered because I alread have a 14cm WG'd HX housing, and a 4" downpipe for a HX turbo)
Option one:
I've heard lots of good things about Tater Built modified HX35's & HE351's. Firepunk has made some AMAZING HP numbers with their chargers.

Option two:
I've heard several good things about Zach Taylor's modified HX35's, but I've only heard feedback from 2 people on them.

Option three:
Wondering if I should step up to a T4 exhaust manifold and a box S400 of some sort for upgraded shaft, bearings, and larger frame to take the abuse at the drag strip.

Engine mods are:
.020 Mahle large bowl pistons with .100 valve reliefs
Fully ported, polished, & fire ringed head from Joker Fab stock intake shelf
PDR Street cam
ARP 425 head studs
215 pump by Seth @ FDS 550cc's @ 5,000 RPM
5x14 155* injectors from DFI

After all the blown up crap tater pos I've seen you could not pay me to take one.

Kind of interested in this as well. Trying to decide if I should do this or a small set of compounds on my 97.

After all the blown up crap tater pos I've seen you could not pay me to take one.

Kind of interested in this as well. Trying to decide if I should do this or a small set of compounds on my 97.

See that's the first I've heard of negative against Tater.

So you're asking about stock upgrade chargers, and then S400's??

Chris

Well I knew I would word that original post wrong:bang:bang:bang.... I'm open to S300 as well but seems like box S400's are less expensive.

Honestly I'm looking for experienced opinions on what would work best for what I want to do with the truck.

I have no idea Hooker, may have to changed at a later date and I'm ok with that it's not my DD.

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur
I dig my little 64.5 SXE. T4 .91 exhaust housing.

Lights by 1900ish rpm and full party at 2100.

You've got a little more pump, but same injectors....might think about a 66sxe.

I loved My S467.7/83 .90 FMW with a manual VB on my 12v... it had a stock stall converter at first and still lit well. I loosened it a bit and it was even better. although towing would require some revs, I think its very manageable.

I was also at 28* so less timing would help in the spool dept.

How much towing and how much weight? If you want to tow much at all with an automatic 12v, the charger choices narrow a bunch IMHO

Chris

How much towing and how much weight? If you want to tow much at all with an automatic 12v, the charger choices narrow a bunch IMHO

Chris

Just an occasional 24/25 ft gooseneck with a car or pick up on it. Less than 20,000 lbs I'm sure. It doesn't tow on a regular basis, but as I mentioned above my megacab doesn't have a gooseneck hitch so this is the only truck I have if it comes to that.

I dig my little 64.5 SXE. T4 .91 exhaust housing.

Lights by 1900ish rpm and full party at 2100.

You've got a little more pump, but same injectors....might think about a 66sxe.

I'm thinking I could spool a 66 easier with the port work and cam, but the turbine side is what worries me.
Are you running a waste gate hooker?

Don't want to get so much that it is laggy, but don't want to get too little so it chokes on top.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I could spool a 66 easier with the port work and cam, but the turbine side is what worries me.
Are you running a waste gate hooker?

Don't want to get so much that it is laggy, but don't want to get too little so it chokes on top.
No gate currently. Steed speed has a wastegate port and I have a turbosmart 45mm gate. But I really doubt I'll ever need it. But it's there if I do.

I just realized something as well...I do have 3.2X gearing as well if that matters.

The best single charger I've run so far has been a 64/71/.80 W/G S300. It built boost quicker than the 62 I had before it and ran cool. In OD at 1500 rpm, it would build about 15 psi boost. That was on a more or less stock 12v with 5x14's and a somewhat tuned up 215 pump.

Or go compounds.

I just sold my compounds and threw on a billet 66/74/14 six blade I had laying around. I'm very impressed with it thought it was going be a laggy turd, but its a very good running charger. personally I would go with an s467, but this 74 turbine is impressive and s369 super cores are only $650. Mind you I have a manual VB so that help stock stall converter though.

I'd step up to an s400 if you intend to be at the strip very much personally but...

Back