Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tractor Performance > General Tractor Performance > Allis Chalmers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Allis Chalmers Big Orange

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Peterson

Name: Peterson
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
8050 Allis What Ya Think?

Click the image to open in full size.

If you know allis's you will see the difference's.
Allis Chalmers D17 Puller with AC 3500 MKII

Old 11-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
bones

Name: bones
Title: certified n bovine defctn
Member`s Gallery
had an 8070 2wd so the 4x4 looks different.also the stack looks a bit closer to the frint thatn on my 8070.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #3
6gears

Name: 6gears
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Well...those rear tires are way bigger than our 8050. The front tires may be a little shorter....looks like the front axle is farther forward also. The weights are sticking way out in front too....Did you stretch the frame?? I need to know how it runs down the road if you moved the axle forward. Ours is almost undrivable in road gear with our no-till drill on it. It has a ton of hitch weight and bounces constantly because of the short wheelbase.
The lights on the corners are a nice touch also. Nice rig.....

Last edited by 6gears; 11-23-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
the rears are 20.8r42's on step rims. i moved the front axle foward just put the back holes of the FWD axle frame to where the front holes were. and drilled new front holes. then had to make a weight bracket extension, so the front tires wouldnt hit. see when we bought the tractor it had 20.8r38's and 18.4r26's, instead of 20.8r38's and 16.9r26's. so they were mismatched. so instead of buying new front tires we bought the right sized rears, 20.8r42's. the stack is in the same old spot, but she is straight piped. they sound awesome like that.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
o and dont know what it rides like because one of the rims has a crack in it, so no driving with it. but the look much better like this also.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM   #6
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Cool...I guessed right...or very close!

I thought you raised the front end too, but it's just the big tires throwing me off!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-24-2010, 06:28 PM   #7
ACFarmer

Name: ACFarmer
Title: On to the next project
Member`s Gallery
I noticed the front end right off the bat..... thats seems like an awful lot of tire for a 8050 though....

Old 11-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
6gears

Name: 6gears
Member`s Gallery
....I knew the front axle was out there a ways. I will need a road report when you get the new wheel for the front. I love our "little" 8050, but it is horrible on the road when you have to drive it very far. Ours is still running the 20.8s and 16.9s on it. The only thing I can tell you is to watch the tie-rod ends and steering cylinder ends, the tend to wear pretty good with the smaller tires. The bigger tires may accelerate that a little.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFarmer View Post
I noticed the front end right off the bat..... thats seems like an awful lot of tire for a 8050 though....
A lot for anything short of a 4w-305.....but it does look good. Hope it's not a power shift if you expect to pull much with that rubber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gears View Post
....I knew the front axle was out there a ways. I will need a road report when you get the new wheel for the front. I love our "little" 8050, but it is horrible on the road when you have to drive it very far. Ours is still running the 20.8s and 16.9s on it. The only thing I can tell you is to watch the tie-rod ends and steering cylinder ends, the tend to wear pretty good with the smaller tires. The bigger tires may accelerate that a little.
King pins can get loose in those front ends...tie rods and cylinder bushings are worth looking at too!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
why do you think its to much rubber for that 8050? its a power shift. it handles them fine. i did use it on the $hit tanker before i found the leaking rim, and it pulled it fine. but this isnt any normal 8050. shes putting out around 180 hp. just like our 8070 that maxed out the PTO dyno at 225 and wasnt even smoking. and another reason we switched to these tires is because we needed to get ride of the firestone 23* PIECE"S OF $HIT!!!!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Sorry, I'm an AC man through and through...but good luck with those engines if they're putting out the power you say. They will scatter someday

Why do I think it's too much rubber? Because I do this for a living, and I know how much weight it takes to run certain sizes of tires, and at what power level they're needed at. Bigger is not always better, a proper match of power, tire, weight, and application is what makes or breaks a tractors performance....FACT!!

Now, will they work, probably do...do you need that much tire, nope...not enough power!

As for the power shift, I'm sure it works OK, but a 12 speed power shift has lots of gaps in speed ranges, that a 20 speed Power Director doesn't. As long as you can find the gear you want, wonderful, I'm happy!

Oh, and IMHO, any dyno that is "maxed out at 225" probably is older than the tractor, and could use a calibration. My dyno will handle 475hp (depending on RPM, of course). Again, not trying to be a dick, by PTO dyno's need calibrated fairly often, and the numbers are only as good as the operator is honest. I can show you whatever power you want to see on a PTO Dyno, or I can be honest and measure torque and figure it from that...that needle doesn't mean squat if she's not set right!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
well first of all what do you do? our 8070 has over 7000 hrs. on it at that power level. the reason they would scatter is improper maintenance. the 426 is alot better built then the little 5.9 cummins, and if they can live at the increased power level so can the 426. And that size of tire is alot better match for the 8000's then the 20.8r38's. it keeps the a$$ of the tractor off the ground too. lol

Old 11-26-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Service manager at the family business...Mayer Farm Equipment...Grandpa started in 48 with AC, been with them through all the changes, and still one of the biggest AGCO dealers in North America

Higher power 426's have a bad habit of throwing rods through the cam, and 8070 like to eat bearings...the 670HO engine was designed for a 2000hr rebuild time from AC back in the 7080 days. This isn't up for argument, I have a PILE of broken cams, cranks, blocks etc that we've accumulated through the years

I will agree, good maintenance goes a long way, but that doesn't mean it's not a time bomb. As far as the AC engine being built better than the 5.9L, that your opinion...is the 426 a bad engine, no...but they are not without issues.

Most of the tractors around here run 18.4-38's, and can pull anything they want. Bigger tires do nothing more for traction without more weight...more rubber + same weight = Less traction.....simple!

Again, all my opinion from what I've seen working on hundreds of them over the past 11 years, and from the education and experience of my techs that have been working on them for almost 30 years each!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #14
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
well my experience with service manangers and tech's, most of the time, is that they dont know there a$$ from a hole in the ground. and being one of the biggest in north america doenst mean much to me. you dont have to be big to know something. and if your one of the bigest, i've never heard of you.

we have 3 8000's series that havent thrown a rod through the block. one with almost 4000 hrs, one with almost 6000 and one with over 7000 hrs. the one with 7000 hrs has been rebuilt once at 3700 hrs because it dropped a valve. all others have not been rebuilt.

most reasons that tractors in general throw a rod is because of improper maintenance, or abuse. but this is all my opinion, and all in good argument.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #15
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
I find it interesting that the average farmer (around my area atleast) always knows the best when it comes to equipment maintenance. They also know that Rotella-T is the best oil, that fuel additives are a waste of money and that fuel filters only need replaced once the engine dies. Thank God for farmers...without them we would all starve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
ACFarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17cumminsboy View Post
well my experience with service manangers and tech's, most of the time, is that they dont know there a$$ from a hole in the ground. and being one of the biggest in north america doenst mean much to me. you dont have to be big to know something. and if your one of the bigest, i've never heard of you.

we have 3 8000's series that havent thrown a rod through the block. one with almost 4000 hrs, one with almost 6000 and one with over 7000 hrs. the one with 7000 hrs has been rebuilt once at 3700 hrs because it dropped a valve. all others have not been rebuilt.

most reasons that tractors in general throw a rod is because of improper maintenance, or abuse. but this is all my opinion, and all in good argument.

Oh I cant wait till Chris gets back on and sees this

Ok buddy, how bout this. I'm also a service manager type for our family AGCO dealership and we have been around since 52. I agree with everything Chris said but I'm also a FARMER! We run a 8070 with almost 7000 hours on with and its been rebuilt. We have 20.8's on the back with 18.4's on the front with no extra weight on the back and most of the time it will run out of power before it runs out of traction pulling a chisel plow. Oh and unless you have owned that tractor you have with 6000 hours on it for its entire life, you have no way of proving its never been rebuilt, and if you have, then you either dont use it hard at all. I live and breathe AC orange but I think your a little off with your beliefs.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #17
ACFarmer

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
I find it interesting that the average farmer (around my area atleast) always knows the best when it comes to equipment maintenance. They also know that Rotella-T is the best oil, that fuel additives are a waste of money and that fuel filters only need replaced once the engine dies. Thank God for farmers...without them we would all starve!
Hey D@ammit Didnt you know farmers always take the best care of their stuff I get both sides being a mechanic and farmer

Old 11-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Peterson

Member`s Gallery
first off we use mobil 15w40 in all our stuff. we change the fuel filters every fall. we use fuel additive all the time. and running 20.8r38's and 18.4r26's is mismatched. nice to see someone that dont know much about the allis's. a 20.8r38 is matched with a 14.9r28 or 16.9r26. i bet you have a lot of play in your front drive shaft. i also live and breathe allis. i hate to see all these allis's now days being all beat to $hit. like when you go to an auction, or even to a dealership, or just driving by another farm. i feel sorry for them. most farmers will just go beat the crap out of them and not take care of them. we are not like that. all of our tractors are in very good shape. we have an 8070,8050,8030,2-6080's,6070,185,d17 series 4, CA, wd45 with factor power steering, and a r50 gleaner.

i wish more people would be into the allis's instead of that green $HIT! thats all i see is green, green, green!! grrrr ok enough of a rant. sorry if i ofened you guys, but every one has an opinion. ALLIS CHALMERS RULE!!!!

Old 11-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #19
Trimmy1

Name: Trimmy1
Member`s Gallery
I like the way it looks...

1995 Regular Cab 2wd 4K GSK, BHAF, Straight Pipe

Old 11-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
Signature600

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFarmer View Post
Oh I cant wait till Chris gets back on and sees this

Ok buddy, how bout this. I'm also a service manager type for our family AGCO dealership and we have been around since 52. I agree with everything Chris said but I'm also a FARMER! We run a 8070 with almost 7000 hours on with and its been rebuilt. We have 20.8's on the back with 18.4's on the front with no extra weight on the back and most of the time it will run out of power before it runs out of traction pulling a chisel plow. Oh and unless you have owned that tractor you have with 6000 hours on it for its entire life, you have no way of proving its never been rebuilt, and if you have, then you either dont use it hard at all. I live and breathe AC orange but I think your a little off with your beliefs.
It's ok Derek...I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Better tell Dean he doesn't either, and I'll do the same for my guys. I can't wait to tell all these customers the news!

We've got an 8070 too...the tach only says 1525 hours...those things are never wrong, I mean it's not like anyone can't just put a new one in there. (AC Part # 70264417) It's also on 18.4R38's...are my 11.00-16's mismatched on the front?? Maybe I should go back and re-check the tire sizes on the other 175 tractors in the barn...then I can check to 60 at the store and make sure they're all right too...

As for why you've never heard of us, oh well...I'll bet you couldn't tell me the names of the biggest Deere, Case/New Holland, CAT, Mahindra, McCormick, or Farm Trac dealers in the country either...we're not Walmart here, we just peddle iron

Good luck...and btw, an OH at 3700hrs doesn't add up to 7000 It makes it 3700!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Rip @ Source Automotive
Columbus Diesel Supply

Closed Thread