Bought a new 2023, got questions about weird stuff on it?

Megadad

So I bought my 2023 3500 4x4 and had some questions about all the new stuff they throw on these trucks. I'm pretty familiar with the Rams through the years but on this truck there are some things maybe you guys can help me out with.
First off, what is the easiest way to change the oil filter?!? It's looks like a headache and a mess everytime with the way the frame is built under the engine. They have this huge welded plate directly under the oil filter so it has to come out the top and it's tight in there as it is with all that 'stuff' in the way. I did actually remove all that 'stuff'? so it is a little more open under my hood?
Next is, what are the little plastic 'air' looking lines that are next to the brake fluid lines on the rear axle?? I took some pics to show what I'm talking about but it's almost like a vacuum or air pressure line going to each brake assembly. They honestly look terribly weak and frail and I don't see them withstanding maybe 2 winters up here in Montana let alone the late hot summers. They look like they will get dry and crack open even now??
Lastly, for now anyways? no pressure washing under the hood?!? I took a pic of the sticker on the driver side of the engine bay and that basically tells me some stuff under the hold cannot get wet?? Now I don't go blasting my engine with the pressure washer but when it gets dirty, I like to hose it down and im sure a little simple green and garden hose pressure won't hurt it, correct? Just confused on why the 'no pressure wash' sticker, I mean, its kinda obvious you don't blast certain parts of the engine and electronics but when did they need to put a No-No sticker ? ???

Thanks for the help guys, hope some one has some idea what the brake line stuff is?

Attachments

• 20230613_145433.jpg
    20230613_145433.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230604_115603.jpg
    20230604_115603.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230515_183307.jpg
    20230515_183307.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 0
Oh! Already another question.....what is up with the big rubber boot covering the fuel rail and lines? It not only looks like a pain in the ass to get off for any work to be done but why in the first place?? Is it literally a dust cover???

I think that's it for now.....?

Thanks again!

Oh! Already another question.....what is up with the big rubber boot covering the fuel rail and lines? It not only looks like a pain in the ass to get off for any work to be done but why in the first place?? Is it literally a dust cover???

Thanks again!

same as that plastic pos over the valve cover...trash

-The easiest way to change the oil filter is through the access hole in the right front inner fender. If you look above the tire you will see a cut out in the plastic where you can reach in to the filter. Really not as bad as it seems.

-The lines going to the rear axle are speed sensors and individual brake lines going to each wheel, for the 4 wheels ABS system and traction control. As opposed to the old style that had a pickup on the ring gear, these pick up from each individual rear wheel, which is obviously more precise.

-I can't comment on power washing under the hood, that is something I never do. Yes its hard to keep clean. I just dont want to inject pressurized water onto thousands of dollars worth of electronic parts like all the modules, sensors, etc.

-The covering on the fuel lines is for noise dampening. It actually does work and is very easy to remove when servicing the fuel system

Congrats on the new truck!! I will add, make sure you run the correct oil. These lifters don't like 15w40!!!!! And I don't trust changing the oil at 15k miles.... 5-8k miles is plenty for me.

On the oil filter, go to napa (was $12 I think) and they have a cap that screws into the oil filter, so when you pull it out the side it doesn't leak. I just unscrew the filter and drop it straight down until it is resting on the tray below it, screw the cap on and pull it out.

Agreed on the 5-8k oil change intervals. With egr and what not I really don't understand why some think 15k miles on an oil change is a good idea. Especially with the hydraulic lifters now.

Thanks again!
I'm not sure if this is an example, but I've seen manufacturers add a cover over common rail parts for safety purposes. A fuel leak at 30,000psi. will go right through you.

On the oil filter, go to napa (was $12 I think) and they have a cap that screws into the oil filter, so when you pull it out the side it doesn't leak. I just unscrew the filter and drop it straight down until it is resting on the tray below it, screw the cap on and pull it out.

Agreed on the 5-8k oil change intervals. With egr and what not I really don't understand why some think 15k miles on an oil change is a good idea. Especially with the hydraulic lifters now.

i slip a gallon freezer bag up it before i drop it..keeps it clean in there

My ‘22 5500 has valve adjustments in the maintenance schedule. Are they still using solid lifters in the 5500’s?

What oil do the hydraulic lifter engines run?
10-30 or 5-40 depending on duty cycle as defined by fuel consumption.

Pretty much all US market GHG21 engines are 10w30 from what I have seen.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

My ‘22 5500 has valve adjustments in the maintenance schedule. Are they still using solid lifters in the 5500’s?

Searching a VIN for a '22 5500 I found on AutoTrader and getting an ESN from that on QuickServe, it shows your truck has Hydraulic Lifters.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lifter.jpg
    Lifter.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
Searching a VIN for a '22 5500 I found on AutoTrader and getting an ESN from that on QuickServe, it shows your truck has Hydraulic Lifters.

attachment.php
Interesting. And disappointing. I wonder if that is the source of the underhood ticking sound that's been growing louder. Have these lifters been out long enough to know what the failure rate is like? I've got about 1,100 hours on it so far with plenty of idle time. Running Cat 10w-30 which it seems to like.

Back