John Deere 4430 Mild Farm Stock Build

Meyers Farms

I picked up a new toy about a year ago and figured I’d throw it on here finally. This is just a basic farm tractor that may or may not grow into something bigger, faster, and stronger one day. I had a blast with it the past year.

I’ve been in love with tractor pulling since I was 5 years old and my dad took me to my first pull at our local county fair. Every year I couldn’t wait to go because I got to go to one pull a year at the local fair. As soon as I could drive I was going to as many pulls as I could and racing home to beat my curfew. Fast forward a few years and I pulled my John Deere 4010 at our fair. I have pulled it for about 10 years now and have always wanted to pull heavier bc it gives more pulls to compete in.

The timing was right and I came across a 1977 John Deere 4430 in the early winter of 2022. It needed a clutch, 2 speed work, wiring work….etc. she was definitely rough around the edges but ran good. I traded my Case 1370 on it and brought the Deere home around the end of January. I spent the next few months splitting it, replacing the clutch, rebuilding the 2 speed, fixing some wiring, swapping to 38” centers, building weight brackets, and playing with the pump to get her ready to pull in the summer of 2023.

I pulled 6 times and was pretty tickled with my results. First night out was a 1st and 3rd. The second time was my hometown fair where I ended up 4th out of 18 tractors! After that I had a few top 5 placing and another 1st at a neighboring fair out of 14 tractors.

Right now the tractor is still running the factory 404ci engine and I’ve been pretty happy so far. I plan to stick with this engine again this year but plan to swap a 466 in the future. I’m pulling against several 414, 436, 466 and a couple Case tractors with 504ci engines now. I’ll make some more adjustments for this summer of 2024 and hopefully surprise a few more of those tractors that beat me last year. Fortunately there are several places somewhat local to me that are adding our class for next year, so it is shaping up to be a good summer!

Here are some pics of when I brought the tractor home, the Case trade in, etc. Maybe someday after I hit the lottery I’ll move up to a light pro…..but for now I’ll just enjoy my little farm stock.

Here’s a few

Attachments

• 88A4287D-7ECD-4237-8A77-037F8E3B7A4E.jpg
    88A4287D-7ECD-4237-8A77-037F8E3B7A4E.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 03FE4157-99D5-4117-8789-4E8719EFF7E8.jpg
    03FE4157-99D5-4117-8789-4E8719EFF7E8.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C8C81921-F996-426A-96B0-88CFA4DC6DF7.jpg
    C8C81921-F996-426A-96B0-88CFA4DC6DF7.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 0636FB5C-D610-46B1-B405-681750ABFEB4.jpg
    0636FB5C-D610-46B1-B405-681750ABFEB4.jpg
    722.1 KB · Views: 0
More

Attachments

• BC5502DD-21FF-401D-A9CB-EF6979D93536.jpg
    BC5502DD-21FF-401D-A9CB-EF6979D93536.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 0
  • F4DC084E-8950-4639-97C7-3FAB23156BCB.jpg
    F4DC084E-8950-4639-97C7-3FAB23156BCB.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 2527D08E-1651-4710-B5C2-A1FE4A961AAB.jpg
    2527D08E-1651-4710-B5C2-A1FE4A961AAB.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 0
Can only load 3 at a time.

Attachments

• 688378E7-6A3E-4231-9047-90754A4152BE.jpg
    688378E7-6A3E-4231-9047-90754A4152BE.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BBD79884-8EFD-472D-81CE-9F820802F234.jpg
    BBD79884-8EFD-472D-81CE-9F820802F234.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 0
  • C9C4AE4E-1C99-4A94-9BAD-57FBCC02A798.jpg
    C9C4AE4E-1C99-4A94-9BAD-57FBCC02A798.jpg
    673.3 KB · Views: 0
While green is not my color I can fully respect the work you have put into it to get it to this point. As someone who has made a pass or two, and someone who has family that is heavy into the pulling world in Illinois, just be careful it is a slippery slope.

You don't see many "cab" tractors pulling, that makes it all the better for the farm stock class in my opinion. Enjoy your time at the pulls, and remember, the friendships that you create are better than the first place trophies, although those are awesome also.

While green is not my color I can fully respect the work you have put into it to get it to this point. As someone who has made a pass or two, and someone who has family that is heavy into the pulling world in Illinois, just be careful it is a slippery slope.

You don't see many "cab" tractors pulling, that makes it all the better for the farm stock class in my opinion. Enjoy your time at the pulls, and remember, the friendships that you create are better than the first place trophies, although those are awesome also.

Appreciate the kind words. I know the feeling on the slippery slope.....I'm constantly looking at the next upgrade! There is some good pulling in Illinois. My wife's family is from the Murphysboro area and I watch videos online of their pulls. I keep trying to work it out to visit in the summer and attend one of their farm stock pulls to spectate but just haven't been able to work it in the schedule. Several of her family members attend several pulls a year and her younger cousin plays around pulling like me.

That is some great advice.

With being involved with pulling for over 10 years with my 4010 I know exactly what you mean. Several of my really close friends I met while pulling. This past year has given me the opportunity to meet quite a few really good guys and look forward to catching up again with them this summer.

Looks like the 4430 hasn't had a super easy life but also appears that you are on top of it. It'd be so much fun to have time and money to tinker and play in that arena. Happy for ya. Keep us posted.

Looks like the 4430 hasn't had a super easy life but also appears that you are on top of it. It'd be so much fun to have time and money to tinker and play in that arena. Happy for ya. Keep us posted.

She's definitely been rode hard and put away wet. Actually she came from Oklahoma originally so at least no rust :lolly:

I'll keep everyone updated this year on the progress, I figured since this is a competition site it made sense to post it.

Actually she came from Oklahoma originally so at least no rust.

That doesn't suprise me considering how many of them there are around here that look the same way. Hell, I'd even take one if the price was amazingly stupid but I'm holding out to win the lottery and buy a mint condition 4455 for $75K.

:bang

That doesn't suprise me considering how many of them there are around here that look the same way. Hell, I'd even take one if the price was amazingly stupid but I'm holding out to win the lottery and buy a mint condition 4455 for $75K.

:bang

4455 is one hell of a tractor, some would argue the best Deere ever made. If I win the big hundreds of millions lottery I’ll buy you a 4455 and trade you for a case of the Golden Coors you rave about. I’ve been wanting to try it.

4455 is one hell of a tractor, some would argue the best Deere ever made. If I win the big hundreds of millions lottery I’ll buy you a 4455 and trade you for a case of the Golden Coors you rave about. I’ve been wanting to try it.

That sounds AMAZING! :D

Do you stay in the SW corner of the state, or head to central/ SE any? Like to come watch you make some passes. Maybe even beat my wife's cousins if it is the same class! They'd be butthurt to loose to a deere! I'm still a red fan myself, but like watching the less expensive stuff beat the big spenders even more!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Do you stay in the SW corner of the state, or head to central/ SE any? Like to come watch you make some passes. Maybe even beat my wife's cousins if it is the same class! They'd be butthurt to loose to a deere! I'm still a red fan myself, but like watching the less expensive stuff beat the big spenders even more!

I have run in SW Ohio, SE Indiana and plan to venture into N. Ky this summer. I would love to pull at the Harvest Barn in Sugarcreek OH but that's about a 4 hour drive for me. I've never been there in person but follow their series online during the summer.

There is a meeting for a club in the more south central part of the state in a couple weeks which will hopefully determine if they have a class for us this summer. They did a trial class for us last summer, had 10 tractors show up, and were very happy with how it turned out. If they continue to have our class I will possibly be venturing over to the Hillsboro, Washington CH area this summer. That is probably as far east as I would go. (I live 8 miles from the Indiana line) I'm hoping its a busy summer!

Who are you wife's cousins?

Who are you wife's cousins?

Wiseman is the last name. Think a couple of there tractors are considered hot farm, but it seems what hot farm is can vary widely! Also one the claim light pro, but doesn't really compare to "real" ntpa light pro tractors. Perry/Morgan County folk.

Wiseman is the last name. Think a couple of there tractors are considered hot farm, but it seems what hot farm is can vary widely! Also one the claim light pro, but doesn't really compare to "real" ntpa light pro tractors. Perry/Morgan County folk.

The variations across regions is confusing to a lot of people and in my opinion a detriment to the sport of pulling, but that is a whole different topic.

There are some Wiseman's from Indiana that come over my way a bit, but they are all Deere. I wonder if they are related? I don't recognize your relation, but will keep an eye out for them. They sound like their tractors are definitely hotter than mine.

Edit: I had to look up where Perry/Morgan County is located. I've definitely never pulled over that way, and even attending 10+ pulls a year to spectate I haven't really ventured to that part of the state. What club do they pull with? Or is it all brush pulling?

Last edited:
The hot farm tractors are mostly brush pull I think, the light pro imitation he pulls in some little organization. There's a pair of brothers here local that run region 2 ntpa and ostpa light pro, Tom and Terry Shafer, from talking with all of them, her uncles has less than 1/2 the power those guys do! I know one of them is set for 3k rpm, the other was originally built for a local startup class that never got off the ground.

Back