Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #81
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Do you understand why lawnmowers are only given a HP rating?
Yet again deflecting to a completely usless tangent.

I accept your surrender.
__________________
480 HP to the wheels with a "400 hp" turbo with the fan on to boot. 920f max EGT
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #82
blackmega3500
 
blackmega3500's Avatar

Name: blackmega3500
Title: habitual turbo swapper.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Yet again deflecting to a completely usless tangent.

I accept your surrender.
Not a deflection truffle butter boy.....

Answer the phucking question, or can you?
__________________
07.5 6.7l Mega-longbed conversion dually with 22.5s
EFI by ATP in Idaho, s364.5sxe/FI ETR s488 with V2 cover, s&s 135% overs, Hamilton springs/ pushrods and 188/220, suncoast Comp68 getting it all to the ground.

2014 BMW X6 ///M factory 560hp twin turbo AWD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #83
CorneliusRox
 
CorneliusRox's Avatar

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Interesting. It's definitely a much simpler approach, but the tilt of the head angle to adjust TDC is just wacky when you look at the graphic. To imagine that in a car would be just unnerving for some reason to me.
It doesn't move during every rotation or anything, it moves with RPM to change compression ratio. It's a turbo charged engine. Very high compression at low RPM gets a turbo spooled and gives the car a lot of pep, then lowers compression at higher RPM so you can handle more boost and timing.
__________________
Corey - BSME
Thumper - '97 12V Michigan Rust Bucket
Ares - '10 Rust-Free Family Hauler
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #84
allan5oh

Name: allan5oh
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Oct 2012
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Not a deflection truffle butter boy.....

Answer the phucking question, or can you?
I refuse to answer a question that have nothing to do with your lack of understanding of the difference between torque and hp.
__________________
480 HP to the wheels with a "400 hp" turbo with the fan on to boot. 920f max EGT
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:52 PM   #85
Hurley
 
Hurley's Avatar

Name: Hurley
Title: BLAKLUNG
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Statesville, NC
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,694
"Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. Both are equally important. Double either and HP doubles. Double both and HP quadruples."

There's nothing to argue about it, the above statement rings true. 1 HP = 33,000 FT-LB/Min, 746 watts, etc....

What everyone gets bent out of shape over is the fact that engines produce varying torque values at different RPM levels.
__________________
THIS
IS
COMPD.

95 2500 RCSB 2wd back-halfed and 4-linked
5x14/7mm +100cc/4k/11-blade billet 63/68/.91 T4
539/989

03 RCLB 4x4, SSR
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #86
Begle1
 
Begle1's Avatar

Name: Begle1
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kihei, Maui
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,517
Ah, another classic asinine "torque versus horsepower" debate. Derailing discussions since the early 1900's I'm sure.
__________________
1990 D-250 Regular Cab: Automatic transmission, turkey air horn, wires.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:27 PM   #87
JoshH
 
JoshH's Avatar

Name: JoshH
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tyler, Texas
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 648
I came here to read about big singles, and instead I see this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
In return the greatest power output comes from the hip rather than the thigh, this is the reason it's easier to climb a hill standing as it's more of a true vertical stroke such as the cummins I6 vs a V8 design which looses force from the angular stroke.
This is quite possibly the dumbest argument for V vs inline that I have ever heard or read.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #88
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,916
I tried to stay clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
Ah, another classic asinine "torque versus horsepower" debate. Derailing discussions since the early 1900's I'm sure.
To the original topic

It comes down to Intended application and the duty cycle involved.

You *should* always be able to make torque across a broader curve, more reliably, with twins.



Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Quote:
People tend to be tribal
05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 5.4L Auto
-Janus

Last edited by biggy238; 10-16-2018 at 07:14 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #89
blackmega3500
 
blackmega3500's Avatar

Name: blackmega3500
Title: habitual turbo swapper.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
"Horsepower is a function of torque and rpm. Both are equally important. Double either and HP doubles. Double both and HP quadruples."

There's nothing to argue about it, the above statement rings true. 1 HP = 33,000 FT-LB/Min, 746 watts, etc....

What everyone gets bent out of shape over is the fact that engines produce varying torque values at different RPM levels.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I refuse to answer a question that have nothing to do with your lack of understanding of the difference between torque and hp.
you can't even answer, because you don't know.

Here's a hint..... The motor blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
I came here to read about big singles, and instead I see this...

This is quite possibly the dumbest argument for V vs inline that I have ever heard or read.
I don't think you understood the analogy, buts its not a big deal. One things for sure the single thing spitting hot air out is senior truffle butter Allan.

But in regards to argument of V vs I..... I could care less.
__________________
07.5 6.7l Mega-longbed conversion dually with 22.5s
EFI by ATP in Idaho, s364.5sxe/FI ETR s488 with V2 cover, s&s 135% overs, Hamilton springs/ pushrods and 188/220, suncoast Comp68 getting it all to the ground.

2014 BMW X6 ///M factory 560hp twin turbo AWD

Last edited by blackmega3500; 10-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #90
JoshH
 
JoshH's Avatar

Name: JoshH
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tyler, Texas
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
I don't think you understood the analogy, buts its not a big deal. One things for sure the single thing spitting hot air out is senior truffle butter Allan.
I tried really hard to understand the point you were trying to make, but in the end, I guess my thinking isn't abstract enough. Maybe you can explain it to me. I'm curious to see your thought process on how an inline engine makes more torque than a V engine because the cylinders are angled.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #91
Broaner
 
Broaner's Avatar

Name: Broaner
Title: Been There n Broke That
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 729
Blackmega's don't matter. Somebody please give us a permaban for the window licker. Praise allah or whoever is needed to make this happen.
__________________
05.5 QCSB Shotpeened NV5600 - 6.7, Wagler Rods, QSB Pistons, 625's, Oversized Valves, ZZFab, P&P, 150%, Duals, 69/73/1.0 & 82/96/1.32
Street Triple, 35's, Trutrac, Carli, MM3 from Gordon, 1100hp

Last edited by Broaner; 10-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:42 AM   #92
ramthiscummins

Name: ramthiscummins
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Canada EH!
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broaner View Post
Blackmega's don't matter. Somebody please give us a permaban for the window licker. Praise allah or whoever is needed to make this happen.
+1
__________________
2003 QCSB cummins, DDP 12mm CP3, DDP SM 150% overs, a turbo, Firepunk diesel 48re
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #93
blackmega3500
 
blackmega3500's Avatar

Name: blackmega3500
Title: habitual turbo swapper.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
I tried really hard to understand the point you were trying to make, but in the end, I guess my thinking isn't abstract enough. Maybe you can explain it to me. I'm curious to see your thought process on how an inline engine makes more torque than a V engine because the cylinders are angled.
Like I told you I could care less, but since you insisted...

It has to do largely with balance, stroke length, crank design, and overall efficiency.

The V subsequently has it's advantages of course.

You put the same displacements with the same air to fuel setups, you'll see the inline motor make more initial torque yet will likely make as much if not a bit less horsepower compare to the V as it benefits from increased rpms which equal crank speed.

There are countless articles and such on this.

You're a Dmax guy, and I can appreciate your passion for your setup.
__________________
07.5 6.7l Mega-longbed conversion dually with 22.5s
EFI by ATP in Idaho, s364.5sxe/FI ETR s488 with V2 cover, s&s 135% overs, Hamilton springs/ pushrods and 188/220, suncoast Comp68 getting it all to the ground.

2014 BMW X6 ///M factory 560hp twin turbo AWD

Last edited by blackmega3500; 10-17-2018 at 01:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #94
blackmega3500
 
blackmega3500's Avatar

Name: blackmega3500
Title: habitual turbo swapper.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broaner View Post
Blackmega's don't matter. Somebody please give us a permaban for the window licker. Praise allah or whoever is needed to make this happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramthiscummins View Post
+1
I love yall leg humpers!

Speaking of!

It's about time for this in Wisconsin right...?

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
07.5 6.7l Mega-longbed conversion dually with 22.5s
EFI by ATP in Idaho, s364.5sxe/FI ETR s488 with V2 cover, s&s 135% overs, Hamilton springs/ pushrods and 188/220, suncoast Comp68 getting it all to the ground.

2014 BMW X6 ///M factory 560hp twin turbo AWD

Last edited by blackmega3500; 10-17-2018 at 01:37 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #95
JoshH
 
JoshH's Avatar

Name: JoshH
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tyler, Texas
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmega3500 View Post
Like I told you I could care less, but since you insisted...

It has to do largely with balance, stroke length, crank design, and overall efficiency.

The V subsequently has it's advantages of course.

You put the same displacements with the same air to fuel setups, you'll see the inline motor make more initial torque yet will likely make as much if not a bit less horsepower compare to the V as it benefits from increased rpms which equal crank speed.

There are countless articles and such on this.

You're a Dmax guy, and I can appreciate your passion for your setup.
That's not what you said. You said an inline makes more torque because it has a vertical stroke rather than an angular stroke of a V configuration. I'm genuinely interested in how that is. Do you think gravitational pull on the rod and piston being directly over the crank is adding that much torque to the overall output? That is the reason it is easier to pedal a bike standing than sitting.
__________________
2006 Silverado 2500HD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 07:31 PM   #96
JQmile
 
JQmile's Avatar

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Nov 2006
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 6,788
Big singles make lots of HP and diesels make that torque, so really itís the combination of horsetorques that gets the job done!
__________________
89 Dodge 972rwhp on the hose, still a VE!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #97
12valveblkcld
 
12valveblkcld's Avatar

Name: 12valveblkcld
Title: Rookie
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Feb 2015
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 20
Well, I thought this was a discussion on big singles. I was sorely mistaken. I will never get the time back it took to scroll through this seemingly meaningless babble, luckily I didn't have anything better going on.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:29 PM   #98
blackmega3500
 
blackmega3500's Avatar

Name: blackmega3500
Title: habitual turbo swapper.
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jun 2011
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 3,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
That's not what you said. You said an inline makes more torque because it has a vertical stroke rather than an angular stroke of a V configuration. I'm genuinely interested in how that is. Do you think gravitational pull on the rod and piston being directly over the crank is adding that much torque to the overall output? That is the reason it is easier to pedal a bike standing than sitting.
Lol, I'm not sure on the gravity effect for an inline vertical rod being more efficient.

From the bike component your right momentum allows a kinetic transfer from the thigh to the press while standing, yet still while standing the majority of energy transferred is originated in the glutes. While seated it's primarily through the quads. Distance and competitive cyclists train themselves to pull through the pedal using the hamstring following the press while the opposite leg is pressing. Same as the push pull effect connecting rods have on a crank.
__________________
07.5 6.7l Mega-longbed conversion dually with 22.5s
EFI by ATP in Idaho, s364.5sxe/FI ETR s488 with V2 cover, s&s 135% overs, Hamilton springs/ pushrods and 188/220, suncoast Comp68 getting it all to the ground.

2014 BMW X6 ///M factory 560hp twin turbo AWD

Last edited by blackmega3500; 10-17-2018 at 09:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 PM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com