Project Leftovers: The Rise of Frankenstein

Will, you should talk to John a bit about this. He lives in CO, races at Bandimere often, and just dynoed over 1300rwhp at 8800ft on Saturday on fuel only, more on spray.
He's running a maxed 12mm pump on a 4WD 97 ECLB.
I think his name on here is little6cylinder.

He might have some advice, or might even want to get on board with this.

And if he does the DPC this year, you might want to wait until the following year to go head to head ;-) His truck is incredible and pretty damn reliable.

I love the idea though! Good luck.

His truck is amazing, was very fun watching that build and his results are fantastic. I hope to be able to have similar results even though, as you will see, we are doing a very different build.

Judging by max's results with his new 475/591 compounds and how easily he spools those with a similar turbine arrangement, you might not need the spool valve. What about flipping manifold up and turbo backwards?

I tried that as well, just didn't take a pic of it. I have ran this turbo before and max and I live at very different altitudes. It really sucked running before as far as street driving. Hoping this spool valve helps with that.

Don't really know what you are referring to here. The only tow portion I am aware of is the trailer obstacle course and 1/8 mile trailer drag race, I think the temps will be fine for those periods of time.

Sorry i must have been mistaken for some reason i thought there was a longer tow portion. :bang

I tried that as well, just didn't take a pic of it. I have ran this turbo before and max and I live at very different altitudes. It really sucked running before as far as street driving. Hoping this spool valve helps with that.

The GTX42 is the big thing I'd change right now. Looking at the past competitions, the big hp trucks usually only win the dyno, the lower HP trucks with quick spooling turbos seem to do the best in the rest of the categories where response is crucial and traction is often limited. Hopefully the spool valve works for you as intended, but I'd be leaning towards a smaller secondary.

The GTX42 is the big thing I'd change right now. Looking at the past competitions, the big hp trucks usually only win the dyno, the lower HP trucks with quick spooling turbos seem to do the best in the rest of the categories where response is crucial and traction is often limited. Hopefully the spool valve works for you as intended, but I'd be leaning towards a smaller secondary.
^^this. Maybe something that will spool a little quicker.

Finally Todd had the bright idea to modify the spool flange and drill new holes to mate it up to a used Straight T3 Flange Steed Speed manifold he had laying around. After some drilling and port match work, he got the spool flange and GTX4202 to fit!

IMG_4235_zpsabda8d2d.jpg

IMG_4236_zps5052f890.jpg

We ended up with the GTX turbo reverse mounted on the straight flange T3 Steed using a BD spool flange as a T3 to T4 adapter, quite the configuration of parts!

IMG_4216_zpsbdad0eb4.jpg

IMG_4215_zpsa4fc1c63.jpg

With the GTX turbo mounted in it's final location, Todd started to fabricate the hot pipe and work around other obstacles in the engine bay.
IMG_4217_zps77a48773.jpg

A few extra bends in the hot pipe to get around the stock shock tower. If the motor ends up torquing over too far, we'll have to come up with a flat short shock tower with custom shorter shock or semi-rigid motor mounts. It's amazing how much the motor moves on these motors when they're loaded down all the way in a race.

IMG_4218_zps37fed56e.jpg

IMG_4219_zpsd4dcf827.jpg

Last edited:

The GTX4202R has been tested at high altitude by Todd both with and without the spool flange on this very truck, tranny, and motor combination. We're confident that it will work. However, it has not been tested with two S475's down stream in the exhaust. There is roughly 6 months between now and the Diesel Power Challenge, if it needs to be changed for something different, there is plenty of time to test and tune between now and May 2015. All constructive criticism is appreciated and helpful. We don't know it all, and we never will, but some areas of this build have been tested and tuned in prior experiments and that's why this aptly named truck: Frankenstein is going to be one of our latest and greatest creations!!!

^^this. Maybe something that will spool a little quicker.

Hopefully it behaves similarly in a triple setup as it did in a single turbo setup.

The boost from the atmosphere compressors pushing on the manifold turbo will make it both spool, and come on slower than as a single, but it still should work, I think. It'll be neat to see a mechanical truck take a run at it, it's been a long time coming! Hopefully with a build thread, that'll help you get voted in...

Me, I liked the days where the staff could pick trucks with dictatorial impunity :)

Put a roll bar in it so you can go faster in the drag racing portion and don't get disqualified.

If NHRDA let him run 11.0's I would say that is already taken care of.

Correct, this truck will be properly equipped to legally run all-out in the drag racing portion of the competition. Todd and I are both drag racers at heart, if there's one portion of the DPC challenge we want to be extremely competitive, it's the drag racing event.

The GTX4202R has been tested at high altitude by Todd both with and without the spool flange on this very truck, tranny, and motor combination. We're confident that it will work. However, it has not been tested with two S475's down stream in the exhaust. There is roughly 6 months between now and the Diesel Power Challenge, if it needs to be changed for something different, there is plenty of time to test and tune between now and May 2015. All constructive criticism is appreciated and helpful. We don't know it all, and we never will, but some areas of this build have been tested and tuned in prior experiments and that's why this aptly named truck: Frankenstein is going to be one of our latest and greatest creations!!!

Hopefully it behaves similarly in a triple setup as it did in a single turbo setup.
Just going off of past trucks with big setups. Seemed spoolup hurt them. If your setup will work that would be great. Sounds like a nasty build. I will be following for sure. Good luck!

Will-I had this plate cut out for my 2004, and it really freed up a lot of real estate on the passenger side, and made everything a little bit easier to work on. I had QA1's on the front.

Attachments

• IMG_2214.jpg
    IMG_2214.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
Back