2008 4x4 issue/question

kylev90

2008 f250 6.4. I got stuck in my yard. I manually locked it in 4x4 low and tried to just creep out. Only the rear would spin. Tried 4 high and same thing. But whats weird is that 4x4 would kick in only during high rpms. If i was gentle the front wouldnt spin at all. If i laid into it the front end would grab and spin. doesnt make sense to me. No noises or anything unusual. Just seemed in general like the front end would grab and quit, grab and quit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I had my wife get in and give it throttle and the front shaft was definitly spinning. Wouldnt i be able to hear it if the hubs were stripped out? I just cant imagine there would be that much damage and no clanking or anything....

when you pull them out, you'll see why I would consider it a posibility...

I've had them **** the bed and the front axle and driveshaft would spin in 2wd. No noises, etc. driving down the road

yepp, manually turned then to locked. I guess i will pull them and take a look. any good replacement suggestions if theyre bad? warn? milemarker?

there's an inner bearing that the stub shaft rides on. when it goes kablooey, the lockout is the only thing centering the shaft. when it wears out, it gets funky in there.

putting fresh lockouts will help, but it will happen again until the hub assembly is replaced. fresh lockouts should get you down the road quite a while, and they're cheap

Back