Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #1
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
Honing torque plate. Aluminum ?

Been seriously considering purchasing a torque plate. I'm in the middle of a rebuild on a 5.9 Common Rail, and am planning on a more serious build on one of my 6.7's next year... Anyway, I noticed Keating has the option of steel or aluminum. BHJ is steel only, ZRM is steel only, and CCR is aluminum only.
Now my thoughts are that aluminum would be much to ductile to evenly disperse force across the block. Even steel is more ductile than cast iron, but MUCH more rigid than aluminum.
So I'm looking for opinions/experience on this, as aluminum would be much lighter and easier to handle, ship, and store.
Just not convinced it would work as well, or even hold up to use as well.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:14 PM   #2
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
My gut says aluminum would not be strong enough too. But it is VERY hard to bet against Keating he is a very sharp guy and I can't imagine him offering it if there was any chance it wouldn't work well.

Perhaps the aluminum one is designed for limited usage like what an individual would purchase for use on a build or two, while the steel one would be for something shops would purchase that would be used more frequently...

The best bet would be to speak to them directly and ask questions about why he offers the two different materials, explain your situation and likely usage and ask which he would suggest for you. I do not feel that he or anyone at his shop would steer you wrong or try to oversell you, from my experience with him.

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
I think I will place a call tomorrow... I definitely want one that lasts. I may only use it a few times myself, but after an extensive search all across south Texas, and not being able to find a machine shop with a Torque Plate, I figured I would be able to loan it out to anybody down here who is also looking for one.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #4
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Our machine shop has a pile of torque plates and the majority are made of aluminum.

North American Turbo

Old 09-11-2017, 09:07 PM   #5
GOT-Torque

Name: GOT-Torque
Title: is
Member`s Gallery
we made one from steel 4" thick and that SOB is heavy!

EATSOOT.com

Old 09-11-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
4" ?!! Dammit man, you would need a crane to set that on a block ! Lol.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfaylor View Post
Our machine shop has a pile of torque plates and the majority are made of aluminum.
For Cummins ? Or gasser engines ?

Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #8
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by QMFB View Post
For Cummins ? Or gasser engines ?
Various gas and diesel engines.

North American Turbo

Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #9
bna5017

Name: bna5017
Member`s Gallery
I'd make an aluminum one and press steel inserts in it if you are concerned that an all aluminum one wouldn't hold up. All you are trying to accomplish is putting stress into the block equivalent to what it would experience with studs torqued to spec. Aluminum would definitely be sufficient enough to achieve that goal, put a washer under the head of the bolt or under the nut prior to torqueing to distribute the load and it'll be fine. The torque plate doesn't need to be stiff, just flat. The deck should already be flat prior to honing anyway.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
CCA says their aluminum plate has hardened steel inserts in it. Makes sense.

Last edited by QMFB; 09-12-2017 at 09:42 AM.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #11
9724VF350

Name: 9724VF350
Title: Tractor Guy
Member`s Gallery
The biggest using a torque plate does is gets the high spots out where the head bolts distort the bore when torqued. About any material able to withstand the bolt being torqued will do that just fine. I seen someone doing it using individual spacers on bolts, I'm not quite on board with that idea though.

I think to do it 100% it should be done with the head gasket and fire ring/o-ring (if applicable) that's going to be used.

Wife's ride-03 Excursion 12V swap in the works.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
QMFB

Member`s Gallery
I saved my old head gasket just for that purpose ��

Old 09-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
chris lang

Name: chris lang
Member`s Gallery
i believe a torque plate is to simulate load on the bolt holes, so aluminum would work plus be easier to set up and whatnot.

Closed Thread