Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Cummins12Club

Name: Cummins12Club
Title: Happy Dinosaur
Member`s Gallery
Autometer 5" Diesel Tach Issues

I have an Autometer 5" diesel tach and pick up sensor on my 12 valve fluidampr balancer. The tach does not read well at all, jumps around, nothing even worth looking at. I notice the instructions show a 4 notch balancer and mine is a 2 noth. What has everyone been doing to combat this issue?

Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
PVXCummins

Name: PVXCummins
Title: Here to Learn
Member`s Gallery
2 things I did to combat any issue of the tach jumping.

First, I took a dremel to my Fluidampr and made 2 additional notches on the same side i had the tach pickup located. I didn't make grooves all the way across the surface of the damper, just 1" x 1" notchs IIRC.

2nd, I stuck the tach wires in a drill and twisted them together. Didn't go to crazy, just enough to get them together. I then wrapped the wires in HVAC tape from the tach pickup all the way to the back of the tach. Then wrapped that in electrical tape. The Aluminum HVAC will help dissipate the engine harmonics that cause the tach to jump in the higher RPMs.

Did that 2+ years ago and have a dozen or so hooks on the truck and havent had any issues with the tach jumping. Its as smooth as factory. Only issue to note would be the tach bouncing once i hit about 5,500 RPM right before i ride the clutch out.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I never was able to get mine working correctly with 2 notches. I welded 4 small bolt nuts to the balancer and has been working smooth and perfect. I just tacked the nuts on thru the open middle.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVXCummins View Post

First, I took a dremel to my Fluidampr and made 2 additional notches on the same side i had the tach pickup located. I didn't make grooves all the way across the surface of the damper, just 1" x 1" notchs IIRC.

2nd, I stuck the tach wires in a drill and twisted them together. Didn't go to crazy, just enough to get them together. I then wrapped the wires in HVAC tape from the tach pickup all the way to the back of the tach. Then wrapped that in electrical tape. The Aluminum HVAC will help dissipate the engine harmonics that cause the tach to jump in the higher RPMs.

Did that 2+ years ago and have a dozen or so hooks on the truck and havent had any issues with the tach jumping. Its as smooth as factory. Only issue to note would be the tach bouncing once i hit about 5,500 RPM right before i ride the clutch out.
how deep did you go with the dremel? any pictures of this? I appreciate the info!

Old 07-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #5
PVXCummins

Member`s Gallery
No pictures unfortunately. I'm out of state a for a month so its not like i can run out and snap some lol.

I want to say the notches were 1/8" - 1/4" deep.

I should probably specifiy as well, i made the notches as evenly spaced as possible between the existing slots in the Fluidampr. Basically take a circle and place 4 points evenly spaced around the circumference.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
No pictures unfortunately. I'm out of state a for a month so its not like i can run out and snap some lol.

I want to say the notches were 1/8" - 1/4" deep.

I should probably specifiy as well, i made the notches as evenly spaced as possible between the existing slots in the Fluidampr. Basically take a circle and place 4 points evenly spaced around the circumference.
gotcha, i will try it!

Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
IMG_3789[1].jpg

IMG_3790[1].jpg

The autometer diesel tach needs 4 notches ( or pickups) equally spaced to work. my fluidampr had 2 1/2" wide 3/16 deep notches i added 2. I welded a piece of pipe to there relocation bracket and good to go. I think its bull**** for what that tach costs they don't sell any kind of install kit....

Old 07-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
I had issue like this and changed my pickup Lactions 3 times no fix .. it's was a bad pickup sensor sent the complete tach in with pickup and got tested . And they sent a new pickup no charge .. I put several on that would pickup off notches no issues ..

Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post
Attachment 67311

Attachment 67312

The autometer diesel tach needs 4 notches ( or pickups) equally spaced to work. my fluidampr had 2 1/2" wide 3/16 deep notches i added 2. I welded a piece of pipe to there relocation bracket and good to go. I think its bull**** for what that tach costs they don't sell any kind of install kit....
Did you take the balancer to a machine shop to add the other 2 notches?

Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #10
T-MAN

Member`s Gallery
I put it on a mill. not sure how exact it needs to but i had access to a mill.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #11
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Why not just make a bracket to pick up off the head of the damper bolts?

Even though you only have 2 notches, it still shouldn't be jumping around. It would just be reading 1/2 speed of actual RPM. When they jump around usually the gap is too big. IIRC the gap is supposed to be .030-.050". An old credit card works great for setting the gap as they are usually just a hair over .030". Just make sure your bracket is very secure and won't be affected by vibrations at high RPM.

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Last edited by BluegrassDiesel; 07-12-2017 at 10:09 PM.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:36 AM   #12
T-MAN

Member`s Gallery
Bluegrassdiesel, Do you have a picture of the bracket to pickup the balancer bolts? I was going to do my that way but couldn't figure out a secure way so it wouldn't vibrate and dance around. Thanks

Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #13
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDiesel View Post

Even though you only have 2 notches, it still shouldn't be jumping around. It would just be reading 1/2 speed of actual RPM. When they jump around usually the gap is too big. IIRC the gap is supposed to be .030-.050". An old credit card works great for setting the gap as they are usually just a hair over .030". Just make sure your bracket is very secure and won't be affected by vibrations at high RPM.
I set it at .040 with a feeler gauge. I may just make that bracket like you said.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #14
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I took your advice. So far it has worked perfectly up to 3000rpm, just havent taken it any higher yet.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #15
YoungDiesel27

Name: YoungDiesel27
Title: Never Enough Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDiesel View Post

I have the same setup on mine and it has worked great for years.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #16
PVXCummins

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12Club View Post
I took your advice. So far it has worked perfectly up to 3000rpm, just havent taken it any higher yet.
Awesome!! Glad to hear it worked. Happy to help

Closed Thread