95' Junker Drag Truck

BCoop, you better get going on your truck. Everyday I get this thing closer to it's stock baseline debut. From there I plan to really turn up the wick and turn this truck into an UGLY cheap sleeper.

Well,
I made a little progress on the truck today. Ripped out the stinky old carpet. Removed the passenger battery box and cleaned up all of the rat/squirrel mess. Those little critters can make a mess in the tightest places where it's hard to get at with the vacuum.

I bought a new battery for the driver side since the old battery was not strong enough to start the truck.

I cleaned out the shut down solenoid and played with the 70amp relay to get all the truck starting properly with the key. The hold up solenoid was working fine, the pull up solenoid needed some work so I got that mess figured out.

And then tonight I decided to tackle the "killer dowel pin." There was already a leak from the timing case where a few of the cover bolts had worked themselves loose enough to cause a leak. As you can see in the pictures, the dowel was only a few thousand miles from falling and causing lots of damage.

Attachments

• 6-20 Cab1.jpg
    6-20 Cab1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 6-20 Cab2.jpg
    6-20 Cab2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 116
  • 6-20 Engine Left.jpg
    6-20 Engine Left.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 6-20 Battery.jpg
    6-20 Battery.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 6-20 KDP1.jpg
    6-20 KDP1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 191
  • 6-20 KDP2.jpg
    6-20 KDP2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 263
Nice project, BigBlue! I'll be interested to see what you're base line runs end up being.
My '94 ran 17.7 in the 1/4 before I did anything with it. paid $1800 for it, reg cab 4x4 auto, 192K miles,peeling two tone blue/silver paint, faded maroon hood, and a white tailgate.
After some tinkering, Timing, AFC, and found out it was already missing the fuel plate, a T/C lockup switch it runs lo 15's in 2wd with little to no boost off the line.
maybe start an ugly and cheap drag truck club?lol:poke::Cheer:

I don't have much of an update.

I had to replace the control arm bushings on the driver's side and install a cheap Gabriel shock. I removed about 5 lbs of grease and oil from the control arm itself.

The power steering was not working and completely dry so I had to flush the system and rebuild the steering gear. Long story short the steering gear was not original but rather, off a pre 93' Dodge, so it took two tries to get the correct rebuild kit. It takes a long time to save a few bucks! Power steering system is finally drip free and works great!

I still need to run a new power lead for the power windows circuit. The driver's side switch was shorted out and it burned the circuit, looks like someone threw a 40-50 amp blade in the fuse holder when it kept burning the smaller 30a blades and ruined the wire.

I need to put a resistor in place of the tranny temp gauge as it's not allowing the tranny to shift into OD.

I plan to install a Transgo TFOD HD2 reprogrammer kit to limp by for a while till my "planned" big HP destroys the tranny.

Tranny cooler lines have a few small drips so I will eventually need to rework or replace the lines so I can safely run down the track without leaving dangerous tranny fluid behind.

I picked up an 83mm HT4B and an almost new 60mm HE351cw for my twin's setup. I have valve springs, DDP Magic DV's, 5x18 injectors all ready to be installed.

I also picked up a set of steel 15x10 chrome 8 lug wheels that will require a little grinding on the rear hubs. For now I will run a set of mostly worn out 285/75/16 AT's to see how for that takes me.

Hopefully through the Holidays I will find more time to "tinker" with the truck.

Almost forgot, the AC system does not have refrigerant so I'm going to remove the whole system and buy the other serpentine belt for no AC.

It's going to be brutal in the summer here in THE DESERT but I'm too cheap to fix the system.

i just picked up a 94 2wd regular cab. made it a shortbed, ground a zero plate and cut the exhaust off. paid 1400 for it. the sad part is i have more fun in it than i do in my 630 hp truck.

Sleeper trucks rule! Mine ran 9.6 in the 1/8th mile with just injectors, intake, exhaust, and a converter.

That driver seat has to be in the best shape or any 95 I have ever seen! Not even a rip in it. Thats the part that amazed me the most. Good luck on the project!

I worked on this project a little more today. I bought a 1000 ohm resistor to bypass the faulty tranny temp sensor. Last time I drove the truck around, it would not shift in OD. I need to register this beast so I can test drive it some more, get it smogged, and then really turn the fuel up.

While I was playing with the tranny temp sensor, I notice the cross member and tranny mount are thrashed! Looks like this old farm truck has been jumped over a few curbs or hit some big rocks at high speed!

Attachments

• 1-2 Bent2.jpg
    1-2 Bent2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 1-2 Bent1.jpg
    1-2 Bent1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 101
  • 1-2 Tranny Sensors.jpg
    1-2 Tranny Sensors.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1-2 Tranny Temp Sensor.jpg
    1-2 Tranny Temp Sensor.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 90
  • 1-2 Tranny Resistor.jpg
    1-2 Tranny Resistor.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 48
I changed the fluid in the rearend today as well. While in there I did confirm that it has an open carrier. I'm not much of welder but I jerry rig with the best of em'. I think I'm going to cut out some metal shims to wedge between the spider and side gears. That way my limited welding skills will only hold the shims in place.

I also snapped a few shots of the future twins. HE351cw over HT4B, that's 60mm over 83mm for those who aren't terribly familiar with these two turbos.

Attachments

• 1-2 Twins.jpg
    1-2 Twins.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1-2 Twins1.jpg
    1-2 Twins1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 1-2 Twins2.jpg
    1-2 Twins2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 61
when you weld the spiders just turn the heat up and fill in every spot where 2 spiders meet. thats what we did to mine and it has held up great.

Garrett

The 95' Junker made it's debut baseline run at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. With tranny hanging up in 2nd gear, it wasn't much of a debut!

20.227 @ 65.35 MPH. I believe with a good tranny, this truck would run in the high 17's.

I also got a baseline weight number. 5470 lbs including driver and 10 gallons of fuel.

Attachments

• 1-31 1st time slip.jpg
    1-31 1st time slip.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 22
I've also been doing a little work under the valve covers and got 60lb valve springs installed. I used a $16 valve spring compressor from Harbor Freight and it seemed to work just fine.

I also torqued all the head bolts down to 145 ft lbs and adjusted valve lash. I worked my way up in 5lb increments starting at 120 ft lbs. When I got to 145, two of the bolts really started stretching and turned almost 90* before the torque wrench clicked. I stopped there since I didn't have any extra bolts to swap in for the two questionable ones.

I also pulled out my sawzall and did a little cutting on the passenger side inner fender.

Attachments

• 1-31 Junker.jpg
    1-31 Junker.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1-31 Spring Compressor.jpg
    1-31 Spring Compressor.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 1-31 60lb Spring.jpg
    1-31 60lb Spring.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Fender Chop.jpg
    Fender Chop.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Fender Chop1.jpg
    Fender Chop1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 73
good to see progress, i think im gonna be looking for another 2wd reg cab auto beater to mess with this summer, and this time not sell it, since my 97 is almost done!

My $1,500.00 craigs list buy about 8 months ago.. I cant wait to start screwing around with it..

0602090740.jpg

Yeah there is a little weight in the back!

0602090741.jpg

Back