Trans control and 5.9/6.7 swap

zukgod1

Old fart
Are there any changes that we can make with EFI Live?

I'm not looking for a race application here but I would like to change some of the behavior.

Second part for the question.

I have a 5.9 truck with a swapped 6.7 running 5.9 ECM ect.
Having a weird cold start issue and was told I should get a 6.7 ECM to fix it.

I was thinking about getting a 6.7 ECM and harness then using EFI to tune it.
My concerns are in the security areas (if there are any).

Is what I'm talking about feasible or am I up in the night?
Will I have to have the ECM flashed from the dealer before I can do anything?

I would be getting a used ECM, thinking that would be best.?

Thanks

The 5.9 and 48re there is some trans adjustability. shift firmness is through the valve body. EFI can adjust some shift points, lock-up speed and TTVA actions.

Cold start issue from the 6.7 injectors? Just wondering as I don't have any issues with mine, yet I'm running 5.9 injectors.

Cold start issue from the 6.7 injectors? Just wondering as I don't have any issues with mine, yet I'm running 5.9 injectors.

I just kept the injectors that were with the block. It runs fantastic but it has a stumble on start up. Blows unburnt fuel out the tail pipe for maybe 5-10 seconds then like a switch is flipped it smooths out.

I did lots of reading before this swap and didn't find anything about funky starting on any of the current swaps.

Someone suggested I use a 6.7 ECM so I'm exploring that now.

I had thought about running 5.9 injectors but the bowls are different between 5.9/6.7. I'm sure there are some 5.9 tips with the tighter pattern I just didnt look as this engine only had 35 k on it.

Last edited:
I see no reason to go to a 6.7 ECM. I have no starting problems with my swap, it runs just like a 5.9. I think you have another issue

The 03-early 04 injectors are 143* vs 146* (I believe) for 6.7, basically the same spray pattern. I run the 5.9 injectors

I see no reason to go to a 6.7 ECM. I have no starting problems with my swap, it runs just like a 5.9. I think you have another issue

The 03-early 04 injectors are 143* vs 146* (I believe) for 6.7, basically the same spray pattern. I run the 5.9 injectors

Thank you for the confirmation. This is what I found on every swap.

Maybe swapping in the 5.9 injectors would be the way to go.

As far as trans control, when you swap to a 6.7 ECM, you lose the ability to control the a 48RE unless you already have a PCS controller+Valvebody. just a thought..

As far as trans control, when you swap to a 6.7 ECM, you lose the ability to control the a 48RE unless you already have a PCS controller+Valvebody. just a thought..

That my friend is something I had not thought of.

Looks like I may just need to change to 5.9 injectors.

sent from my mobile thingy while picking my nose.

Back