Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Pureflow Airdog
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #41
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
I dont like the Idea of plastic brackets either. Whether or not there's been any failures its still not as good as the steel brackets. As for the quick connect fittings, I've installed 3 airdog with them and 2 of trucks had leaks. They weren't huge leaks but leaks none the less. Both on the suction connection. In an ideal situation there would be an option for push lock connections. In my opinion Airdog is marketing to the average Joe with a tuner and limited mechanical knowledge but you can't blame them cause that's probably 95% of the diesel market.
Tapamaxxing

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 01-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #42
rnemovr

Name: rnemovr
Title: Lost in the sauce
Member`s Gallery
I know eveyone keeps asking about the bouncing and all but what about ice build up for those of us up north? Mud and rocks boucing off them for the off roaders? I know the ice build up can add quite a few pounds to some areas.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 AM   #43
Dazed&Confused

Name: Dazed&Confused
Title: Surfing my own world
Member`s Gallery
I was wondering if the new mount is made f the same type of poly material they make snow plow blades and salt hoppers out of? If so i dont ever see it being a problem.
2004 CTS-V

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #44
SCHOOL BUS

Name: SCHOOL BUS
Title: DLRA T-O
Member`s Gallery
Like antknee said, it's not cheap plastic. I'm pretty sure they tested it for all the stuff y'all are talking about.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 AM   #45
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
So after reading through the first 6 pages of bull crap about facebook, wives, pumps other than AD's, and misc videos just to make sure I didn't ask the same question as someone else...screw, it. I don't care.

Anthony, do you find that the plastic brackets quiet down the pumps? It seems to me that they should help isolate the pump noise and help buffer some of it from the frame. I don't see a problem with a plastic bracket...as long as when they break, they are replaced free of charge. You could also press in some shouldered washers into the mounting holes. That would keep people from overtightening them. That way it would get tight and give them a warm fuzzy so they don't smash the crap out of it and disfigure it.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #46
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINNER View Post
I do not give a phuck what anyone says, there is no way I would even hang a pump alone on plastic. I bet that will work out well in an accident when that pump flies off the truck. And using loctite even close to plastic is a big mistake. It says so right on the bottle and I learned the hard way on some motorcycle plastics. It will soften that plastic even if it is not directly applied. Just search online about loctite and plastics.
Short and sweet. Get real dude.... As stated this isn't some acme action figure plastic. Is fiberglass, plastic etc etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
The quick connect fittings leak air on the suction side and create pump cavitation issues that burn up motors. Oh well the motors are warrantied so well just leave Airdog replace motors. Not my problem and I'm sure hell not sure why I'm telling you how to lower and/or eliminate warranty claims!

Thanks!
Obviously you aren't aware of how the pumps work. Cavitation has absolutely no effect on burning a motor up. As a matter of fact. It would create LESS drag on the electric motor and let it run at lower amps and live longer.
Yes IF IF IF IF IF it leaks. It will cause cavitation. Just like your factory lines would. Just like ANY line that doesn't have a good connection or is loose on the vacuum side of anything. So what's your point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
So after reading through the first 6 pages of bull crap about facebook, wives, pumps other than AD's, and misc videos just to make sure I didn't ask the same question as someone else...screw, it. I don't care.

Anthony, do you find that the plastic brackets quiet down the pumps? It seems to me that they should help isolate the pump noise and help buffer some of it from the frame. I don't see a problem with a plastic bracket...as long as when they break, they are replaced free of charge. You could also press in some shouldered washers into the mounting holes. That would keep people from overtightening them. That way it would get tight and give them a warm fuzzy so they don't smash the crap out of it and disfigure it.
Glad you mentioned that because yes it does help take the "buzz" of our things. Which could sometimes head on down the frame and let you hear it in the cab. We are looking at some sleeves of some sort to put the bolt through to keep people from overtightening.
Fact is people complain before they ever have an issue. I even had a guy last year on the Premier cruise, during training in front of many dealers. Tell me he does not use our products because the brackets bend when putting them on the frame. THAT WAS WITH THE THICK METAL BRACKETS. Can't ever please. It was good to know he must use a cheater pipe on simple bolts. Cause I know now never to let him touch my trucks.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #47
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOL BUS View Post
Like antknee said, it's not cheap plastic. I'm pretty sure they tested it for all the stuff y'all are talking about.
Correct, we FROZE them, bolted them up like they would be on a truck. Beat the chit out of them with hammers. Did nothing but put a couple dings in it here and there. We did it flat against the frame and with a big bow in it. Both scenarios the brackets were frozen and beat with a hammer. The were tested very well last winter.

No SINNER we didn't pour fuel on it and set it on fire to see if it held up to that. Nor did we take it to a crash test facility and bolt it up to the crash dummies. We kept it realistic.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #48
roachie

Name: roachie
Title: Taco Master
Member`s Gallery
I would assume the brackets are a type of SMC composite or some other fiberglass derivative?

If so, everyone hear better get the hell away from a Corvette while drive. After all, those are 90% plastic.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #49
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tone12V View Post
Glad you mentioned that because yes it does help take the "buzz" of our things. Which could sometimes head on down the frame and let you hear it in the cab. We are looking at some sleeves of some sort to put the bolt through to keep people from overtightening.
The "isolation" of sound was just the first "selling point" that came to mind.

We use a stainless shoulder washer in our Naval racks from Accurate Screw Machine. Personally I like Globe Electronic Hardware, Inc. | Globe Electronic Hardware | Globe Hardware better. Pretty much anything Accurate sells, Globe can make and their lead times and prices are typically better. We've had some quality issues with Accurate stuff a few years ago as well as crappy stainless materials coming in tarnished.

You can get standard stainless shoulder washers or have them made to what ever sizes you need from either company. I will encourage you to quote large quantities though....single and low quantities will scare the crap our of ya.

Hope that helps.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #50
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
If you say these plastic mounts are as good as steel. I will run them. But I still want to know where the bed position mount is. Did that ever go into production?
Pallet load of them in the back.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #51
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
I'll bite. What is a "bed position mount?"

Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #52
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
I'll bite. What is a "bed position mount?"
Haha, made me crack up when I read your response. It's the original mount for AirDog's from way back in the day. Mounts inside the wheel well and attaches to the bed rib. Drill 2 holes, screw in 2 bolts and your done.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #53
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Haha, made me crack up when I read your response. It's the original mount for AirDog's from way back in the day. Mounts inside the wheel well and attaches to the bed rib. Drill 2 holes, screw in 2 bolts and your done.
I see. I figured it was a dumb question but thanks for the answer.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #54
Gibson

Name: Gibson
Title: There's no love in diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I want those mounts. All my customers keep asking why AD has to be so close to the ground. How will these mounts work with the new Pre cut lines?

2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins QC SRW

Old 01-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #55
SuperDave4x4

Name: SuperDave4x4
Title: popcorn playa
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
I want those mounts. All my customers keep asking why AD has to be so close to the ground. How will these mounts work with the new Pre cut lines?
I made my own mount that goes under the bed, but it mounts to the frame and not the bed. I'll get a picture of it if you'd like. I actually have a CAD drawing of it aswell. It's a prototype and needs to be tweeked, but it works for me right now. Too much other stuff goin on to be able to have another made.

(Sold)1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24v CTD Ext. Cab- 01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, Garmon/SunCoast, Drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 57/72 twins, AD150, 20" Hoss, Proxes STII, Thuren/Carli, etc

Member #41

Old 01-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #56
Billysgoat

Name: Billysgoat
Title: The ANTI-BLING!
Member`s Gallery
The glass reinforced Nylon is very, very tough and highly resistant to anything that will not eat the frame itself and most stuff that will eat the frame. I would have no problem running the plastic bracket.

03 Dog, named Clifford, to heavy to be fast.
11 335D, the grin machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
I was there & I herd Heath say.........."LET GO OF MY EARS, I KNOW WHAT I`M DOING"

BTB,BBB

Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #57
opper_boy

Name: opper_boy
Title: Just Past New
Member`s Gallery
I love my AD!! P!ss on the haters. 3 years trouble free. I wouldn't take a free fass system.
Steven 07 5.9 cummins, Bully dog with crazy larry, boost fooler, cold air intake, goerend t/c, vavle body, input shaft,air dog 165,and of corse gauges in a quad cab long bed 2500, aka the school bus. 477/923

Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #58
2Tone12V

Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the support guys. Most just look and see "plastic" and assume its crap. They don't realize that lots of research and testing is done to decide whether it will work or not. Wish I could get that word out to the whole nation but I can't. Many won't believe me when I tell them. They expect me to say it's fine cause I work here.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM   #59
SuperDave4x4

Name: SuperDave4x4
Title: popcorn playa
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the support guys. Most just look and see "plastic" and assume its crap. They don't realize that lots of research and testing is done to decide whether it will work or not. Wish I could get that word out to the whole nation but I can't. Many won't believe me when I tell them. They expect me to say it's fine cause I work here.
It seems then if this move may hurt sales until it's understood that this bracket can handle the abuse.

Is there that much of a cost savings from going from the metal over to the "plastic". I guess I really dont expect an answer about costs.

I've had my AirDog since 2008 and I had a few problems with my first one, but my second one has been running fairly well since 5/20/08.

(Sold)1999 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 24v CTD Ext. Cab- 01' motor w/ orings, .020 gasket, Garmon/SunCoast, Drag comp, 150hp EDMs, 57/72 twins, AD150, 20" Hoss, Proxes STII, Thuren/Carli, etc

Member #41

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #60
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave4x4 View Post
Is there that much of a cost savings from going from the metal over to the "plastic"?
If they are injection molded, I'm sure there is. Once you pay off the NRE (dies), they should be able to run a batch of several hundred faster and cheaper than shearing, breaking, and drilling metal. Just my

Closed Thread