Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > Towing and Hauling
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Towing and Hauling Towing, hauling, hitches, and trailer discussion can be found here

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
coldsmoke

Name: coldsmoke
Title: freezing
Member`s Gallery
race truck in enclosed trailer

just lookin for some insite on loading/unloading a racetruck in an enclosed trailer. race truck weighs 4800lbs . 97 dodge ram 4x4 . measurement wise it will fit in any 8.5 wide trailer with a 6ft door and 5200 lb axles. my questions are is the ramp strong enough? can u open the door and get out of the truck? is the floor strong enough?.any icite would be apprecited.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Depends on what brand. I would think most ramp doors would hold that truck but it may not depending on the manufacturer. Floor should be fine regardless if it plywood or diamond plate. You can't open the truck door unless you have the side of the trailer open with doors where the truck door is. I used to climb out the drivers window.

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Last edited by DISTURBED; 02-19-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
In 2013, we hauled the 'ol getto jetto' out to Scheids in our race trailer and the boy drove his 5500 lb short bed dually with 5 spd.

The boy smoked his clutch at Scheids. So, we hauled the 5500lb truck home with all our gear, etc... with no incident. It was about a 7.5hr toe. Wife's '09 pulled flawlessly.

Wanted to add, you had to 'Duke Boy' it getting in and out of the first gen.

Last edited by Bodacious; 02-19-2017 at 09:43 PM.

Old 02-19-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
i have fixed lexan windows that r screwed in so climbing out the window isnt an option. haulmark trailer iam lookin at has a 5k winch so i guess my other option is winch in and out everytime.i was mostly worried about the ramp and the floor breaking.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:15 PM   #5
CREED1

Name: CREED1
Title: Throwed Off
Member`s Gallery
Just winch it in and out if you dont want to cut a escape door hole into the driver side of the trailer. You might have to build some drive over ramps for the trailer fenders as well..

Old 02-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #6
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
You can winch it in backwards which allows you to steer it all the way till the door gets to the trailer. Other wise if the truck starts to track off going in you can't straighten it up and could run it into the wall if say the trailer isn't level and it leaning one way or the other.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #7
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
i think i will just keep my equipment trailer for now until i can find an enclosed with the escape door. i dont like having to rely on the winch everysingle time to get in or out. thanks for the help

Old 02-19-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
CREED1

Name: CREED1
Title: Throwed Off
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsmoke View Post
i think i will just keep my equipment trailer for now until i can find an enclosed with the escape door. i dont like having to rely on the winch everysingle time to get in or out. thanks for the help
Cutting in an escape door is cheap!!! door and components are less than $1000

Old 02-20-2017, 12:54 AM   #9
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
lots of trailers go through up here. if i wait a few weeks one will show up with one allready installed.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
Sounds like smart thinking. I lucked out and got a used race trailer with living quarters that is all aluminum other than the trailer skeleton. The floor in the living quarters is plywood. Our old race trailer was mostly plywood. It wasn't ten years old yet and had some rot.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #11
97rada

Name: 97rada
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
How much are people paying for trailers? I want an enclosed for racing but trying to find ballpark pricing and if they are really worth it.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
How much are people paying for trailers? I want an enclosed for racing but trying to find ballpark pricing and if they are really worth it.
You can find a decent on for less then the price of a new flatbed gooseneck. A decent one can be had for $7-10,000 pretty easy. They are mobile storage too and are a garage in the winter or when ever you don't want the truck setting in your garage. At the track or motel you lock the doors and everything is safe and your rig is out of the rain. To me that's a huge plus. Once you get a enclosed you will never go back to a flat bed for a race rig. Getting it in and out of the trailer is a small price to pay for the huge benefits I think.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #13
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
You can find a decent on for less then the price of a new flatbed gooseneck. A decent one can be had for $7-10,000 pretty easy. They are mobile storage too and are a garage in the winter or when ever you don't want the truck setting in your garage. At the track or motel you lock the doors and everything is safe and your rig is out of the rain. To me that's a huge plus. Once you get a enclosed you will never go back to a flat bed for a race rig. Getting it in and out of the trailer is a small price to pay for the huge benefits I think.

You have a preference on size or options ect. I am thinking a 32 ish enclosed gooseneck

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
Bodacious

Member`s Gallery
I sorta look at it just like a building. You can never seem to get them big enough, lol.

I prefer goosenecks. extra storage, good place to sleep, much safer pulling down the highway.

After finally getting to race with an enclosed trailer, I will not sleep in a tent ever again. lol

If you plan on doing this for a few years, get the enclosed now. You wont be sorry.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #15
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
You have a preference on size or options ect. I am thinking a 32 ish enclosed gooseneck
I've had 3 so far. The last one is by far the nicest on 44' long by 9' tall with the escape door on the side to get out of the puller. I like the 40' but my truck is 22' with the weight bar. It gives me a good bit of room in front of the truck for tool boxes, a generator box and a work bench. Plus when I was traveling a lot and staying at the track I put a mattress in the neck and slept in the trailer. I highly recommend the electric over hydraulic brakes they are sweet but not cheap and not needed but are nice. I would probably stay away from the cheap GA trailers unless you only plan to keep it for a short time as a starter trailer. Check out racing junk. Any and everything you could ever want passes through there.

Old 02-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #16
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
yea enclosed is better by far for storage ,security, weather list goes on and on. a 28 to 30 is perfect for me . i dont need a gigantic trailer .i just want to have my wife or me steer the thing while winching in or out so an escape door is a must for me.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #17
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
yea enclosed is better by far for storage ,security, weather list goes on and on. a 28 to 30 is perfect for me . i dont need a gigantic trailer .i just want to have my wife or me steer the thing while winching in or out so an escape door is a must for me.

I know loading lavons truck last year was easy without having someone inside to steer. Just point and winch it up

Old 02-20-2017, 05:45 PM   #18
kjpcummins

Name: kjpcummins
Member`s Gallery
You could also just pull the drivers door before you load it.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
Chris Tobin

Name: Chris Tobin
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
i have fixed lexan windows that r screwed in so climbing out the window isnt an option. haulmark trailer iam lookin at has a 5k winch so i guess my other option is winch in and out everytime.i was mostly worried about the ramp and the floor breaking.
How do you feel about that fixed window if you are ever in a wreck at the track? What is your escape route from the truck?

Freelance Editor and Photographer
Working with DIESEL WORLD, DIRT SPORTS, MUSCLE CAR POWER & STREET TRUCKS magazines
tobinemail@aol.com
I might be able to help get you in a mag.
Custom poster size photos available. PM or email for info.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #20
97rada

Member`s Gallery
Anyone have brand preference ? I have heard some are extremely heavy and others are not bad at all. Looking through racing junk shows like 12k plus easy

Closed Thread