Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 89-93 1st Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #1
SCHMITTY

Name: SCHMITTY
Title: Not enough time
Member`s Gallery
93 fuel at injectors but not firing

My buddy brought me a 93' 5 speed he recently acquired. It supposedly ran great 3 years ago. It won't hold prime if you crank it for 30 seconds. I used compressed air in the filler to the fuel tank to force fuel up to the fuel filter, and to the line feeding the front of the injection pump. I replaced the fuel filter before I did anything else and topped it off with fuel.

So after using air a couple times I grabbed a clean 1 gallon jug , cut the fuel line near the tank, hooked it up to a low pressure electric pump and used that to supply fuel through the lift pump. I checked the oil and didn't notice any diesel in it. All the injector lines squirt fuel out but it won't even try to fire. I hooked my 95' up to it with jumper cables to make sure it was turning over fast enough.

I checked the shut off solenoid and the previous owner must have pulled the spring and rubber tip out already- I did not see any fuel in the hole even when I turned it over but that was before I got fuel to the injectors anyways.

I did notice the manual shut off lever was leaking where the shaft goes into the pump. My buddy bought this truck for parts so he can swap the motor and trans into a 70s dodge crew cab. I normally work on his p pump trucks and the ve pump has me scratching my head.

The only thing I can think to check next is if the timing is off. What do you guys think ?

Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 AM   #2
Red Sleeper

Name: Red Sleeper
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Did you try pushing the accelerator petal or moving the lever on the pump while cranking? The idle could be adjusted way off and the pump is not going to allow the engine to idle.

I had this happen after an injector swap and once when I had indexed the throttle linkage incorrectly.
'91 Cummins w350 5spd

Old 11-29-2017, 06:47 AM   #3
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
stuck pintles in all the injectors. take an injector apart and see if its full of cosmoline ish varnish. I bet you are returning all your fuel to the tank.

I just had a brand new (old set) of injectors apart on the bench that had to be disassembled and soaked in ZEP agent orange for a few hours and even then the pintles were a PITA to get free.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #4
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sleeper View Post
Did you try pushing the accelerator petal or moving the lever on the pump while cranking? The idle could be adjusted way off and the pump is not going to allow the engine to idle.

I had this happen after an injector swap and once when I had indexed the throttle linkage incorrectly.
I have a trigger setup with alligator clips so I can turn it over with without sitting in the cab. I held the throttle lever at different positions.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo2387 View Post
stuck pintles in all the injectors. take an injector apart and see if its full of cosmoline ish varnish. I bet you are returning all your fuel to the tank.

I just had a brand new (old set) of injectors apart on the bench that had to be disassembled and soaked in ZEP agent orange for a few hours and even then the pintles were a PITA to get free.
I do have some extra ve injector bodies in a box. Hopefully it doesn't come to that

Old 11-29-2017, 11:39 AM   #6
turbo2387

Name: turbo2387
Title: Nipple Fluffer
Member`s Gallery
You wont need new i jector parts. They will just need cleaned and freed up if thats the problem.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
SCHMITTY

Member`s Gallery
Hooked up my 95 again, primed it with the electric pump, a little bitty wiff of ether and it fired right up. Putting a new lift pump on tomorrow.

Closed Thread