2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 TDI

BDS

Currious about this new set-up? Is it Mercedes built? Is this completely different than the existing Mercedes version? Is this a Good engine?

Buying Soon,
Brent.

I hope the VM motori in this configuration is a bit better than the one they put in the Liberty. If it does truly get 30 mpg out of the box highway at a normal speed of say 70 mph, I will be shocked.

I hope the VM motori in this configuration is a bit better than the one they put in the Liberty. If it does truly get 30 mpg out of the box highway at a normal speed of say 70 mph, I will be shocked.

Even if it gets close to that (mid 20's) I'll buy one. I own a 05 GC Hemi and i love everything about it but the mileage. I much rather jump in it than my 1 ton king ranch.

Hope it isn't the car transmission. I know the hemi was obliterating the transmissions when they first ran them on the dyno. Of course so was the 3.5 etc.

Chrysler has a habit of underbuilding their transmissions.

They think 240/265hp is "awesome". Mercedes has made 240/265hp 3.0L V6 in Europe for several years now.

obviously 240hp is pretty much what every other manufacturer is getting out of their 3.0 V6.

My comment was not to say that Banks was impressed with 240hp. They plan on selling a smog legal version of that engine to swap into jeeps or whatever and their's is rated at 268hp.

What I was saying is that Banks seems to be impressed with the design of the engine. They expect if they haven't already to get 600hp @ 7500rpm out of it.

Last edited:
Hope it isn't the car transmission. I know the hemi was obliterating the transmissions when they first ran them on the dyno. Of course so was the 3.5 etc.

Chrysler has a habit of underbuilding their transmissions.

the 8 speed is the same trans thatvis going in the new 1500's its actually a fairly solid built tranny

the 8 speed is the same trans thatvis going in the new 1500's its actually a fairly solid built tranny

Time will tell, I spent 9 years of my life at the Chrysler transmission plants, and was involved with several launches/retools.

Some things that I saw that were interesting

The 47RE was never able to make it past the dyno testing it usually made it about 3/4 of the way through the test.
The 48RE was able to make it through this test. It was a pretty grueling test, they had a V10 from an SRT10 ram. Full throttle until 55, then go to OD and half throttle, let it coast to a stop, then repeat. It was supposed to simulate a load of a pulling a travel trailer. I will say the engine was loaded, the exhaust was glowing to the floor.
The 42LE wouldn't hold up to the power of the 3.5L V6, so they had to pull the power back.
When they first put the hemi in front of the 545RFE it blew the trans on the first pass on the dyno.

Look at the 68RFE, sadly the engineering tools available today, allow the designers to shrink every part to the maximum amount, where in the olden days they just overbuilt things.

They will pull the low end power out of these to make the trans live.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the NAG1 behind my 3.0 Mercedes CRD right now, Most of the SRT8 Jeep guys and the AMG Merc guys are happy with that trans too. That being said, I'm looking forward to comparing this new diesel jeep to my current diesel jeep

I'm happy with the NAG1 behind my 3.0 Mercedes CRD right now, Most of the SRT8 Jeep guys and the AMG Merc guys are happy with that trans too. That being said, I'm looking forward to comparing this new diesel jeep to my current diesel jeep

Yea the NAG1 was a Mercedes design transmission.

Chrysler has always competed for the commodity type vehicles and if you can save $7 on a transmission that you make nearly 1 million of by spending $2 million on a project, they will do it.
That was the premise behind the 40TE.

Yea the NAG1 was a Mercedes design transmission.

Chrysler has always competed for the commodity type vehicles and if you can save $7 on a transmission that you make nearly 1 million of by spending $2 million on a project, they will do it.
That was the premise behind the 40TE.

Which is why it rocks, SRT8 Jeep guys are claiming holding 600 AWD HP

Hmmm interesting. I love my little 2.8 liter vm motori motor. The 545rfe does kind of suck. I beat on mine though so it could be my fault.

Back